Old Photos

Keep it clean, children may be present.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Old Photos

Post by Gypsie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 pm

I have a little collection of old photos. I love old photos. I thought I'd start a thread where we can share what we have.

these were in a box of photographs taken from the 30s to the 70s. Francis Kies was a prolific photographer in Portland in the 40's and 50's. Many mountain scenes that would only be found adventurin'.

This one is of the riverbank looking past N. Portland toward Mt. Hood.

ImageSee the silver water tower on the left side?

I believe that is this one on North Blandena at Campbell (Check out the trippy new trees and houses from Google Earth.):

this is the Burlington Northern Railroad Bridge (the photo appears to have been taken from the North bank, likely in Cathedral Park).

G.E.:

I have quite a collection of Francis Kies photos. More to come.

Your turn...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: Old Photos

Post by Gypsie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:05 pm

This one is the house across the street from mine.

Winter 40's

this house here:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 am

Good stuff. Do you have a scanner? I have a million pics but no scanner.
That 30s car would make a hell of a ride...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:31 am

I walk by the Georgia Capitol building every day, this was a cool picture.

That's the Georgia State Capitol building, with a man in front standing next to a Pope motorcycle in October 1947.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:37 am

not personal but http://www.shorpy.com/ is a great site. be sure to try the search
60 beetle
78 bus

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 am

zabo wrote:not personal but http://www.shorpy.com/ is a great site. be sure to try the search
Fascinating site. I'm sure I'll spend plenty of time on it.

I don't know if other states have similar pages (surely, the do?), but I've also spent plenty of time digging through historical Wisconsin photos from the comfort of home here:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am

I love old photo's.
This is a 1914 Ford Model "T" touring car taken at the Baker cabin in Carver, Oregon.
Mike

000_0011 by Mike P B, on Flickr
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 am

Just a wee bit o' the Photoshop:
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 pm

zabo wrote:not personal but http://www.shorpy.com/ is a great site. be sure to try the search
I liked this one! You sly Canadians! Hoarding food! Unpatriotic!

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Man I love the posters, I will stop after this one.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:32 pm

So, I have a confession for those that I may have fooled which of coarse was my objective.
If you notice in the photo of the model "T", the bottom right has 05/28/11 which one could possibly pull off by saying I used my modern camera to take a picture of a picture, which in fact I did. The other thing that might of given it away is in the upper right corner you see blue sky which is actually a reflection of when I took the picture of the picture, but wait, there more.
The 1914 Model T actually belongs to me and was indeed taken on 05/28/11 but not by me. It was taken with this camera which the box and tripod are new, but the lens is actually an original lens from around 1860

000_0014 by Mike P B, on Flickr

and developed in this portable dark room on a piece of tin.

000_0024 by Mike P B, on Flickr

Cool Huh!

Who did I fool?

Mike Boell wrote:I love old photo's.
This is a 1914 Ford Model "T" touring car taken at the Baker cabin in Carver, Oregon.
Mike

000_0011 by Mike P B, on Flickr
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 pm

jonyem wrote:Just a wee bit o' the Photoshop:
Oh and jonyem,
Thanks for the photo shop.
Gotcha!
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 pm

In fact, if you look carefully on the top of his dark room just to the left of the yellow bottle, you can see the photo of my car.

000_0024 by Mike P B, on Flickr
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:26 am

I did so dee about the clarity of the trees to the upper right. I love old tin types, I have a few myself including a picture of me in my Civil War reenactment garb, a friend of mine and I went to a photography shop that still use tin as the medium. I still have it.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:15 am

My Great Grandfather Late 1917 near Vis en Artois.