IAC visits North Carolina

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

IAC visits North Carolina

Post by Quadratrückseite » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:31 pm

The final stop for the 2008 Itinerary....North Carolina - 15 miles southwest of the capital city Raleigh.
Mother Nature greeted us with a rainy start. The plucky blue bus pulled in a little after 9 am - bad traffic on 440. An ominous start? Perhaps....
It's good to finally meet the man whose link at the bottom of his sig I followed on a whim nearly two years ago from the Samba. We start with Colin helping us with coffee-making. :geek: (we don't drink coffee). Next it's on to goals for the day at the kitchen table.
Tune-up day consists of:
A) Hydraulic valve lifter center
B) Breaker points clean/gap
C) Timing
D)Fuel injection adjustment
Then we hope to move on to clutch freeplay, brakes, lubrication, front-end, hinges...maybe some fuel hose replacement. My basic plan was to let Colin decide what issues were most pressing, and we would go from there.
A little history of the bus we were working on - the 1978 Sportsmobile camper conversion. I bought it in February 2007. Really haven't done much to it at all, except for remove the white cow spots painted on it. I also got it running, since it wasn't when I bought it. Near the end of 2007 I picked up a 1974 "parts" bus with no engine. (Colin and I would also like the '74 to be saved - it's a bit too nice to be a parts bus.)
We spend a few hours at the table, Colin expaining with pad and pen the concepts we will be working on. Quizzes are given as we go along. For those who haven't experienced a Colin visit, it truly is a learning teaching experience. Don't expect an extremely experienced VW mechanic who will just work on your bus. It is so much more than that - I would liken it to a college course on the aircooled VW with hands-on experience. But Colin is an excellent teacher - he is able to adapt his teaching to match your mechanical knowledge and experience. You can read all you want in the Muir and Bentley, Ratwell, etc...but nothing matches this. A truly amazing experience well worth the money. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

We move out to the garage after some wide-ranging discussions - politics, the state of the nation. A quick lookover of the '78 reveals some previously unknown to me discoveries. My bus has a replacement nose! Hmmmm....was it a previous crash, or rust repair? Colin doesn't see much evidence of too much violence, so that is good. I am shown the proper way the plastic vapor barrier inside the door should go. The lure of the pretty blue bus is too much for me - I want to see it. I see the 68,000-ish hand dotted headliner dots - wow! The blue bus is exactly what I hope my bus will end up like one day - a very nice looking working bus. I am shown the nice bodywork Colin has performed. And the engine compartment...wow. So clean. Our frequent and inquisitive companion throughout the early part of the day - my four year old daughter. Colin wants to see her artwork, and picks his favorites. Normally she is shy around new people, but doesn't seem to be around Colin.

Back to the bus - it is time for the valve adjustment. Colin paints on some timing marks as my bus is missing the timing scale. Colin explains the adjustment procedure to me, and leaves me to the task while he investigates other potential things to work on.
[albumimg]2293[/albumimg]
"Hey Colin, this screw isn't moving."
[albumimg]2294[/albumimg]
"Are you sure?"
"Yep."
Uh oh. Colin explains what happened with a visit with Mr. Blotto. Same thing...prognosis - time to remove the rocker arm assembly and try to unstick the screws. Maybe this would be the only one like that....or not. A good chunk of the rest of the afternoon is spend at the workbench removing every single rocker arm assembly, along with generous amounts of Gum-out, PB Blaster, heat from a torch, vise grips, sanding cloth. A nice time to talk - more politics, the state of America, consumerism, relationships, kids, etc. It's like a live version of the Troubleshooting/Diagnosis, Type 2, General, and Free Speech forums all in one.
:cheers:
The distributor is pulled for the breaker points clean/gap part of the day.
[albumimg]2295[/albumimg]
"Hey Colin, I'd like to install this condenser that was left with the bus."
"This thing is a Beetle condenser."
[albumimg]2296[/albumimg]
"Oops." ::d-oops::
Curious car-working-on-neighbors arrive. A bit of a slightly annoying interruption, but they prove useful. They provide a needed clamp. Colin discovers the alternator is not aligned properly - fix is made. I learn the fun art of installing tin. Neighbors leave for awhile, but return when we finally fire up the bus at dark. Timing is set....uh oh, another problem. Two cylinders aren't firing. We both begin to fear this engine might be near its end. We finally manage to get 3 cylinders firing. Through a compression check and other tests, we eventually discover that our fears are unfounded - it's looking like a clogged fuel injector on 4. Now it's time for the fuel injection adjustment. Colin had been smelling a stale, varnishy gas smell all day - like a bus that hasn't been run in 10 years or so. We soon discovered why as we attemped the fuel injection adjustment. "Hey Colin - we've got a fuel leak!" I exclaim as I see a spray of fuel on the passenger side. "Shut 'er down!" And that (after a final lookover of sliding door abuses) ends the day. Colin likened the bus to the story of Black Beauty - someone really loved this bus in the past, but she's been abused. Now she's being nursed back, slowly but surely.
After a well earned meal of meatloaf, potatoes, baked apples, broccoli, brownies and ice cream (thanks so much Mrs. Quad!), we go over the day.
[albumimg]2297[/albumimg]
"Wake up Steve! We're not done yet!" :D

We think it will be a good thing to pull the engine - to change out fuel lines, pull the injectors and get them cleaned, and clean the extremely filthy engine.
Amazingly, we still have a bit of life left...and I want to see the unfinished book. We discuss art - I'm an (somewhat non-practicing nowdays!)artist - talk turns to the book and art. Colin brings out the beautifully drawn pages - wow! I see the real versions of the four vehicles on the IAC masthead. The colors are spectacular. This book will be finished, and it will be a success. Discussions of publishing, audiences...You cannot imagine the detail he has put into this manuscript....Mrs. Quad asks to hold one of the pages so she can see the intricate work.
Finally after another visit to the blue bus - I simply have to show Mrs. Quad how magically the slider door works! - Colin must be on his way to Atlanta.
It's 11:30 pm, but we still manage to pose for a few more pics.
[albumimg]2298[/albumimg]
"Hey Colin, remember I told you I thought Atlanta was about 4.5 hours away? I looked - it's more like 6.5 hours."
[albumimg]2299[/albumimg]
And after some goodbyes, off he went.
[albumimg]2300[/albumimg]
Even though we didn't get to drive the bus, or get to a lot of what we wanted to do, it was an extremely worthwhile day. I will definitely have Colin back again next year. I gained so much from this day - I would say I learned as much, if not more, in one day about my bus than in the nearly two years prior. In the end the weather turned out to be quite pleasant - in the 70s with very little rain.
We encountered some problems along the way, but I got to meet a new friend and learned a lot. Thank you so much Colin!!!! :cheers:
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: IAC visits North Carolina

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote:The final stop for the 2008 Itinerary....
Even though we didn't get to drive the bus, or get to a lot of what we wanted to do, it was an extremely worthwhile day.
What a fine write-up to wrap up 2008!

Halfway to I-40, "dang! we should have taken my bus out for the driving segment of the IAC day."

I enjoyed our day and your family. I am still sorry/disappointed that we couldn't get things further along.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Re: IAC visits North Carolina

Post by Quadratrückseite » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote:The final stop for the 2008 Itinerary....
Even though we didn't get to drive the bus, or get to a lot of what we wanted to do, it was an extremely worthwhile day.
What a fine write-up to wrap up 2008!

Halfway to I-40, "dang! we should have taken my bus out for the driving segment of the IAC day."

I enjoyed our day and your family. I am still sorry/disappointed that we couldn't get things further along.
Colin
Thanks! I actually thought about asking you for a ride, but it was so late, and you had many miles to go. Don't be disappointed - it was a great day! We really enjoyed your company, and would love to have you back next season for another IAC visit. If your travels take you our way even on a non-IAC visit, you are welcome anytime!
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:17 am

Dang, he worked you so hard all your hair fell out. :lol:
[albumimg]2296[/albumimg]

I think that is the first pic I've ever seen of you Quad.
After a well earned meal of meatloaf, potatoes, baked apples, broccoli, brownies and ice cream
If I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'm stopping at your house for dinner ok. :joker:

Maybe one of these days I'll have you come give me a crash course Colin. I'd like to get the bus all together and back on the road first though.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 am

Great writeup! :cheers:
I can't believe Colin has been goin nonstop since I saw him in June....that seems like 10 years ago. Tenacity, brother.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:46 pm

hambone wrote:Great writeup! :cheers:
I can't believe Colin has been goin nonstop since I saw him in June....that seems like 10 years ago. Tenacity, brother.
I can believe it just fine. . . tomorrow I fly to Chicago to pick up the BobD.
Our visit in Portland, hambone, was one of my favorites, 100* hard day's work and beer in the backyard.

This itinerary came in at 23,100 miles, a bit MUCH considering the fuel prices, but 6,300 of it was driving from Michigan to my uncle's funeral in California back to Pennsylvania, thanks to those who gave me work while I was out there, deeply appreciated.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Quadratrückseite, I saw your avatar picture last night on a PBS show about fractals and repetition geometry. My first thought was "I know that guy". Oops! It's just a photo of a painting on TV!

There's hambone lookin' good!
71 bus, 74 westy

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:46 pm

I saw that show too! Man what a mind-blower. I still don't QUITE understand the whole thing...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Me too! I had no idea fractals were so incredibly interconnected to well, everything.

Mandelbrot looks like Sloth from The Goonies tho.

"Rock-ee Road?"
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:39 am

Amskeptic wrote:. . . tomorrow I fly to Chicago to pick up the BobD.

This itinerary came in at 23,100 miles,
Colin
Close to once around the globe, Colin. Amazing. Gives me and Sunny D pause.

I can't WAIT for the BobD trip post. :drunken:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:53 am

What is the BobD itinerary anyway?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:06 am

You do realize Colin is probably in an airplane or in Chicago as we post this, yes? :cyclopsani:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Birdibus wrote:Quadratrückseite, I saw your avatar picture last night on a PBS show about fractals and repetition geometry. My first thought was "I know that guy". Oops! It's just a photo of a painting on TV!

There's hambone lookin' good!
Cool! :D
It's one of my favorite paintings ever - The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai. It's really old - 1831 or so.

Geno, I always tell Mrs. Quad she made the hair fall out. It pretty much started going away right when we met, 9 years ago. :geek:
- Ken Kesey

Steve