Itinerant Air-Cooled Maupin II

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Well, my wife read through this thread. Glasseye, you are not helping my case at all.... AT ALL!!! :blackeye:

Her scoring of the point-counterpoint:
glasseye: 1
Amskeptic: 0

:cyclopsani:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

pjalau
Getting Hooked!

Post by pjalau » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Actually, That is a different PJ - That's Philip Johnson, I'm Peter James Alau.
This Guy:
..which is of course a picture that the other PJ took.

And to make it more confusing, we were parked next to each other:
He's the two tone 71, I'm the Montana red 70.

But he's from North Carolina and still has his accent, I'm from Hawaii and have lost all my Pidgen English.

More pics of my bus and the stuff I've been doing to it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjalau/set ... 142992570/

I have a couple of panoramic photos from the trip here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjalau/set ... 176938474/

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Thank you for setting me straight on that one. I have limited memory of those way over on the other side of the field. I did however take note of that morning shade you enjoyed over there, while I was getting out of my sweltering bus at seven frikken' thirty (thank you very much, not!).

-John
Keep it acoustic.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Hey, it was a nice cool shady spot when Joseph & I set up over there on Thursday evening .. how was I supposed to know what was gonna happen in the morning? :blackeye: At least we weren't freezing our butts off like last year...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Well, my wife read through this thread. Glasseye, you are not helping my case at all.... AT ALL!!! :blackeye:

Ha Ha =D> I must say I agree with your wife at this point of recaps of our fellow IAC,ers. Colin saying "Get your ass in the VAN" is about as rude as it gets. And I completly understand Glasseyes discomfort after spending 7 weeks last spring in those seats-ouch. And I have a few years on him also.

But my kudoes to John for having the best tye-dye display and many others for making it happen. PJ I too have always injoyed your input to this crazy vw hobby and I too love the color of your BUS.

Keep the stories and picts coming please. Love B/E&J

OK edit to the real pj-I do love your input word and to the other pj I do love the color.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:37 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Well, my wife read through this thread. Glasseye, you are not helping my case at all.... AT ALL!!! :blackeye:

Hey Don,
Tell her that a trip like this is an opportunity to shift her perspective to better than ever and give her pause to be more grateful and appreciate her life even more as a relaxed and engaged person. Traveling always does that for me, camping even more so. :flower:

ZLB
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:47 am

I got a "0"?? I haven't had a "0" since that late art project in 1976.
ColinRudeMyA$$ :flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:06 am

Well, she was using Pass-Fail scale. Actually, you did score some points for humor and wit. She didn't think you were being a smarta$$! :cheers:

Z, as far as the opportunity you mention, I believe her feeling is that a weekend camping in the Westy no more than a few hours drive from home is quite a large enough dose of that elixir to do the trick! :geek:
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 am

You could show her some of the adventures that the Copilot and I have been on. The bus is our get away vehicle and the experience has been very rewarding for our marriage...how's that for an angle.

Seriously I have a lot more fun when my right hand woman is there with me as it is always better (to me) to share great memories with those you love.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:08 am

spiffy wrote:You could show her some of the adventures that the Copilot and I have been on. The bus is our get away vehicle and the experience has been very rewarding for our marriage...how's that for an angle.

Seriously I have a lot more fun when my right hand woman is there with me as it is always better (to me) to share great memories with those you love.
Exactly! :cheers:

On the average vacation I think it takes me a few days to get into spontaneous adventure mode. I crave that actually and am happy we'll be on the road Monday.

I know some folks prefer shorter trips, I never think ours are long enough!

Don, did you ever get a message back from Sean Gallagher? We'll be in Elyria on the night of 6/25 and then again from 7/1 - 7/5. I'd like to visit the dude at Der Wagonwerks too. We need some new seats for Phred and I wanna see what he could do for us.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:59 am

spiffy wrote:You could show her some of the adventures that the Copilot and I have been on. The bus is our get away vehicle and the experience has been very rewarding for our marriage...how's that for an angle.

I agree 100%. And so does my wife, except with the thought of long-distance travel in the Westy. Bless her heart, she wants comfort, safety, and convenience in her get-away vehicle. Our two daughters are from that same mold as well.

So, we had a GREAT adventure driving from Florida to Ohio last summer in this:
[albumimg]1050[/albumimg]

.... and now, that's what she wants!!!!
Don

78 Westy

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:18 am

vwlover77 wrote: So, we had a GREAT adventure driving from Florida to Ohio last summer in this:
[albumimg]1050[/albumimg]

.... and now, that's what she wants!!!!

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooool :bounce:

How was it for cockpit noise at cruise?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:55 am

Not too noisy at cruise. But when climbing grades on a hot day with the A/C running, the electric cooling fan kicks on and it is really loud. But we were cool and comfortable in the cab, and could still converse easily.

My in-laws are currently near Banff on their way to Alaska in it. Due to diesel fuel prices, they are crusing at a relaxed 55mph and even with that Winnebago camper box on the back and the weight of all their gear, they are getting a solid 20 miles per US gallon.

The in-line 5 does get better mileage than the new V6.
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:09 am

glasseye wrote:Drooooooooooooooooooooooooool :bounce:
Pshaw. . . discomfort is the gateway to Consciousness. Therefore, a VW is your fastest path to Enlightenment.
ColiLama
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:46 am

Amskeptic wrote:
glasseye wrote:Drooooooooooooooooooooooooool :bounce:
Pshaw. . . discomfort is the gateway to Consciousness. Therefore, a VW is your fastest path to Enlightenment.
ColiLama
discomfort is the gateway to Consciousness
OMG! that must be why I'm stuck on 'em.
71 bus, 74 westy