Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From NY

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From NY

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 26, 2008 7:11 am

Yesterday was the classic northeast early summer day, sun catching the upturning leaves against a blue sky, well-defined shade under the trees, and a blessed suspension of the rules of time and "progress", it was a day I have experienced for over forty years and it did not matter if the sign at the Sunoco station read $4.15/gallon instead of 1964's $0.22/gallon, and it did not matter if that was a 2007 Chevy Silverado with towing package at the pump instead of that cool old pick up I remembered with the wrap-around rear quarter windows and wood slats in the bed, it did not matter if the driver of the Silverado was clearly a guy on a mission with his clipped conversation on the cell phone versus 1964's incredibly slow deliberate farmer in overalls, it did not matter because the sun shone over a landscape that, with just a little editing in my imagination, has been laying under that sun for thousands of years. I liked that.

Tomorrow, however, is different. Tomorrow is an emergency trip to the dentist, my dentist who is familiar with my cash-paying pleas for mercy. My tooth was hollering pretty badly at Sylvester's in Alpharetta Georgia and I was beginning to lithp as I protected it from cold air (hey, his VW is PINK and BABY BLUE who woulda noticed me lisping??). Now this toothache has informed me that it is serious this time.

I asked my engine if I can dispense with the crankcase transplant in Indiana as my time is now getting used up, and it has agreed by running flawlessly.

Have a good Memorial Day. It is difficult for some to embrace the dual position I have to hold in regards to Memorial Day, to honor our fallen soldiers and also to unflaggingly rail against the future loss of human beings for reasons that strike me as incredibly small and pathetic under this beautiful sunshine.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From NY

Post by dtrumbo » Mon May 26, 2008 7:32 am

Amskeptic wrote:Have a good Memorial Day. It is difficult for some to embrace the dual position I have to hold in regards to Memorial Day, to honor our fallen soldiers and also to unflaggingly rail against the future loss of human beings for reasons that strike me as incredibly small and pathetic under this beautiful sunshine.
Colin
This should probably get moved to the Free Speech section, but I have to chime in. I too hold the dual position you speak of. Yesterday while watching NASCAR (I know, I know) on TV, a commercial came on. No announcer or graphics, just video of soldiers in uniform returning home from duty walking through the passenger terminal of an airport. Spontaneously, civilians in the terminal begin applauding. Eventually, everyone in the entire terminal is standing and applauding these troops. The soldiers smile and seem quite humbled by the whole scene. Still with no announcer or other graphics, the commercial fades to black and the words "Thank You" appear on the screen followed by another fade to black and then the Budweiser logo.

I cried. I actually teared up and they ran down my face. I am so proud of and thankful for these folks that have been sent to harm's way for absolutely no valid reason other than a select few person's ignorance and arrogance. The conflict I feel, as you and others do, is so much more difficult to reconcile as opposed to those who are only on one side of the fence or the other.

I'm ashamed to admit that it took a TV commercial to remind me, but that's what Memorial Day is all about, Charlie Brown.

EDIT: Here it is if you missed it and would like to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTrMe76kes
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon May 26, 2008 10:02 am

dtrumbo wrote:I'm ashamed to admit that it took a TV commercial to remind me, but that's what Memorial Day is all about, Charlie Brown.
It is the realization that is important. Thanks to you both for the posts and I couldn't agree more.
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

pj
Addicted!

It is a glorious day indeed.

Post by pj » Mon May 26, 2008 11:01 am

Pericles, said “Not only are they commemorated by column and inscriptions, but there dwells also an unwritten memorial of them, graven not on stone but in the hearts of men.”
That's why today I remember a comrade of mine SFC Randall Rehn that was killed in Baghdad on 3 April 2003 and all those like him who fought not only for liberty, but for their buddies.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon May 26, 2008 6:13 pm

While I applaud the spirit and the timing of the piece, I have reservations.

neal, do you think the production realities evident deserve comment?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 27, 2008 7:08 am

it did not matter because the sun shone over a landscape that, with just a little editing in my imagination, has been laying under that sun for thousands of years. I liked that.
A beautiful sentiment.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue May 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Hey Colin, don't know how long you plan to be in NY, or which direction you'll be going in when you leave, but if you're in the area, it's always nice to have a chat with you on your way through. If you can think of anyone that is in need of a specific part that a good used would do, I'd be happy to send anything with you on your trip that I have. My collection has grown.....

I agree about yesterday, it was a gorgeous day. In fact, the whole weekend was beautiful in Upstate NY. The wife and I spent yesterday in the Adirondacks on some of the bike trails up past Old Forge. The beauty of this state mystifies me sometimes.....

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 27, 2008 9:29 pm

That's one hell of a camp site....
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed May 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Amskeptic wrote:My tooth was hollering pretty badly at Sylvester's in Alpharetta Georgia and I was beginning to lithp as I protected it from cold air (hey, his VW is PINK and BABY BLUE who woulda noticed me lisping??).
Colin
Tttttthhhhhayyyyy, thhhhhhhaaaattt izzzzzzzz nothhh fffffffffunnnny!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 29, 2008 7:10 am

Sylvester wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:My tooth was hollering pretty badly at Sylvester's in Alpharetta Georgia and I was beginning to lithp as I protected it from cold air (hey, his VW is PINK and BABY BLUE who woulda noticed me lisping??).
Colin
Tttttthhhhhayyyyy, thhhhhhhaaaattt izzzzzzzz nothhh fffffffffunnnny!

Boy, you theth it. The denthith wanfs one thouthanth eighhuntheth thollaths thoo puth thee crowths on my thee molarfs. I theth "no way, pow."
Toof if feeli bettew buff the novacaine if thill kickin.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri May 30, 2008 7:36 pm

hmmmm... crankcase transplant or tooth transplant? What to decide? Anyone know a good dentist in Tijuana?
71 bus, 74 westy