Restoring my 1971 411 Variant. UPDATE! - 4/1/07

411 / 412 ~ 2-dr, 4-dr

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Restoring my 1971 411 Variant. UPDATE! - 4/1/07

Post by Sluggo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:59 pm

I'll just keep using this thread to update what I've done to restore/repair my new 411.

Today I replaced the vacuum lines and most of the fuel lines. I'll finish it tomorrow. Vacuum lines were several pieces of hses stuck together with no clamps. Wonder where the vac leak was coming from. Also had a nylon adapter in the carb as a vac nipple. Nylon + heat = not good.

Fuel hose turned out to be more vacuum line. This is the cheapest hose I have ever seen. And to use it for fuel line is criminal. This hose was also pieced together from several hoses. Leaks everywhere. Held to the connectors by electrical tape and worm clamps. Very lucky it didn't catch fire. Put a fuel filter just before the pump. Was in the engine compartment just over the dizzy and it was the glass kind with stripped threads that leaked.

K&N air filter on the carb was filthy. Looked like it had never been cleaned. Cleaned it up and cleaned all the oil & debris from the housing.

Accidentally scraped a little paint off the rim while putting on the tire. Noticed something bright & shiny. Used a Scotch Brite "Dobie" pad and discovered that I have very nice chrome rims that someone covered in black primer.

One of the original boots is torn but the rest are very good.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:07 pm

The rims are chromed? Weird, but cool!

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:13 pm

bottomend wrote:The rims are chromed? Weird, but cool!
I think it may have been a stock option. Even the spare is chromed and a lot of 411 pics I've seen sport chrome rims too.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:10 pm

QUESTIONS:

1. Right now it has a Weber Progressive carb and Accuvance (chinese knock off of 009) dizzy. I have a newly re-manufactured stock dizzy (0-231-172-019). Can I use this and just cap the retard port? My carb has an advance port. Does it matter if the electronic pulse (?) connectors on the dizzy aren't hooked up to anything? I plan on going back to the stock D-Jet system when I find a complete setup.

2. There is an air port next to the #2 intake. What's this for? I can feel air coming out when the engine is running.

3. Air port from fan shroud. I know on a Bus this connects to the Charcoal Cannister in the engine compartment. I found the cannister located under the center of the 411. Does this port still connect to the cannister and if so, what is the routing?

4. Is there a brake booster on here someplace?

5. How do I get the seat to flip up so I can access the battery?

Questions with pics:

6. What's this and where can I get one? I assume it's to keep cool air flowing to the shroud.

7. 2 wires coming from oil pressure switch. On a Bus there is only one wire. The second wire goes to the carb. I believe this is for the cold start valve. Is this the correct hook up?

8. 2 wires connected coming from coil into the harness. The black on is the ignition wire. What is the other?

9. Holes over tranny support bolts. Should these be plugged and where can I get em?

I've already replaced all the fuel lines and vacuum lines to the tranny. Both were spliced together from several sections of hose. The fuel line was vacuum hose except for one 3 foot piece which looked original. Leaks everywhere. Leaky filter hung over dizzy.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:31 pm

The 'port" near the intake is for a pressue relief line that should connect your crankcase breather to your heads and then to a far more mysterious place deep within your non exsistnat D-jet set up.

The big rubber "bladder" thing looks like one of the those parts that may be holygrail material. I was looking at a guys boat the otherday and noticed a set up similar. It was used to keep the inboard motor sealed from the outboard ocean.

I'm not even gonna comment on the brake booster. Climb back into the dog house. NOW!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:14 am

Sluggo wrote:QUESTIONS:

1. Right now it has a Weber Progressive carb and Accuvance (chinese knock off of 009) dizzy. I have a newly re-manufactured stock dizzy (0-231-172-019). Can I use this and just cap the retard port? My carb has an advance port. Does it matter if the electronic pulse (?) connectors on the dizzy aren't hooked up to anything? I plan on going back to the stock D-Jet system when I find a complete setup.

2. There is an air port next to the #2 intake. What's this for? I can feel air coming out when the engine is running.

3. Air port from fan shroud. I know on a Bus this connects to the Charcoal Cannister in the engine compartment. I found the cannister located under the center of the 411. Does this port still connect to the cannister and if so, what is the routing?

4. Is there a brake booster on here someplace?

5. How do I get the seat to flip up so I can access the battery?

Questions with pics:

6. What's this and where can I get one? I assume it's to keep cool air flowing to the shroud.

7. 2 wires coming from oil pressure switch. On a Bus there is only one wire. The second wire goes to the carb. I believe this is for the cold start valve. Is this the correct hook up?

8. 2 wires connected coming from coil into the harness. The black on is the ignition wire. What is the other?

9. Holes over tranny support bolts. Should these be plugged and where can I get em?

I've already replaced all the fuel lines and vacuum lines to the tranny. Both were spliced together from several sections of hose. The fuel line was vacuum hose except for one 3 foot piece which looked original. Leaks everywhere. Leaky filter hung over dizzy.
1. You can use the Djet dizzy without any problems. Look for a 914 1.7L Djet FI setup as they are available cheap on the 914 sites.
3. Hooks up to the cannister
4. No brake booster thats only on a bus
5.don't know
6.hard to find can you repair it?
7. bullshit wiring, only one lead goes to the switch
8. trace the white wire as its not supposed to be there. Where does it lead?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:24 am

Bleyseng wrote: 1. You can use the Djet dizzy without any problems. Look for a 914 1.7L Djet FI setup as they are available cheap on the 914 sites.
Thanks. I'll check that out.
3. Hooks up to the cannister
That's what I thought. Now I just need to figure out the routing.
4. No brake booster thats only on a bus
Good. I was starting to think I was blind. So just the one vac line to the tranny?
5.don't know
Found out on Samba. Lever under the seat.
6.hard to find can you repair it?
I'm gonna try. But it's pretty torn up. If you know where to get one please let me know.
7. bullshit wiring, only one lead goes to the switch
The other one is connected to the cold start valve. What should the valve be connected to for a signal?
8. trace the white wire as its not supposed to be there. Where does it lead?
It goes into the harness with the ignition wire.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Hooked up with a guy named Cliff on Type 4.org who is is a 411/412 NUT! He can hook me up with everything I need. Spent some time with Jim Thompson from Karmann Ghia Parts, Old Volks Home & Airhead Parts. This man owns the molds for Type 4 window rubber! Scored a D-Jet setup, Gas Hatch Pull Knob & Engine Hatch. He'll have everything I need. If you need Type 4 parts, get to know Cliff. A really good guy with lots of Beetles (including a very rare Brazilian Beetle), Type 4's and a few other Air-Cooled Treasures. But without the attitude that most guys with a fleet of VW's has

I'm gonna have no problem getting this baby back to stock!

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:08 pm

I fixed an Air intake boot with tire repair cement and an innertube once. Make sure boot is clamped as it can be sucked into fan. Can't say how long this would last because it was temp. till we could get a new one. This was some yrs ago. P.S. the repair was a pia, lots of patience needed.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:23 am

okay Sluggo.. its been 19 months. Whats the latest on the 411? Is it up and running?

I'm trying to get my '72 back to Portland-ish area, if only so I can sit inside and make vroom vroom noises. Or even find a happier home for it.

-Barry

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:32 am

justgimmecoffee wrote:okay Sluggo.. its been 19 months. Whats the latest on the 411? Is it up and running?

I'm trying to get my '72 back to Portland-ish area, if only so I can sit inside and make vroom vroom noises. Or even find a happier home for it.

-Barry
I sold the 411 more than a year ago. Decided to get a Bus project instead which then got put on hold in the middle of all the welding. And then I got a beetle which was not supposed to be a project but ended up being one quickly. So I now have a '72 Bus with a smashed nose (accident) that I have to get a salvage title for, a gutted '73 Automatic Bus that I'm just starting to work on again and a '74 Super Beetle. I still have some 411 parts.

Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.