1600 engine compatibility

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jeromeaircooled
Getting Hooked!

1600 engine compatibility

Post by jeromeaircooled » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:23 am

So now that I'm going to have three 1600 powered vehicles I am thinking of building up a spare longblock to have around in case of trouble. If, hypothetically, the square would be the first to go, what changes would I have to make to the block to throw it into the car. Obviously, the periferrals, like the FI system would be different, but what specifically on the block?I think the oil filler is in a different place, anything else. Is this feasible?
71 Westfalia with a 1600 dual port engine
74 Standard Beetle with the same
72 FI squareback
Keg of IPA in the fridge

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:35 am

You'll want a 1600 built in a late Type 3 case to keep around as a spare engine. Make sure it's a *late* engine, with the hanger bar bosses, the boss in the 3/4 head for Temp Sensor I and the crankcase breather/vent ports in the heads needed for the late-'72 and '73 T3.

To use that engine in a Bus or Beetle you'll need a dipstick adapter, which bolts to the hole/flange in the lower-right sump of the T3 case and allows use of an "upright" dipstick in place of the Type 3's filler/dipstick tube. Only other difference that might be a sticky wicket is the location of the oil pressure switch for the idiot light -- T3's have the switch threaded into the oil cooler and the port in teh case where uprights have the switch is blocked off. You can either drill & tap that location (and use a threaded plug to block it for T3 use), or use a T3 cooler in the upright doghouse shroud,cut the tin to clear the switch and extend the wire. Oh, and cap off the breather ports in the heads.

Hope this helps...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:15 pm

tristessa wrote:Hope this helps...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . what he said.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles