Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, Jivermo

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2020 Initial Interest Gauge

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:28 am

KellyB52 wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:20 am
East Texas interested. :). Need a couple of days at a minimum as soon as possible but happy to take whatever is possible. (Fingers crossed for a counterclockwise year).
Hang tight! As long as the Coronavirus case graph is on an upwards trajectory, I am "sequestered". Once it is on the downside, we'll talk. Stay safe. Isolate!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

keithebbert
I'm New!

Post by keithebbert » Wed May 06, 2020 7:27 am

Colin,

Where: I live in WA state on the Columbia River Gorge
When: Whatever time you come through however my job will prevent me from participating in a day of fun around month end (accounting is a drag).
What: 1975 Riviera with a 1.8 engine FI rebuilt to a 2.0 hydraulic still FI.

Background: My bus has been sitting for over 20 yrs. Finally found the time and money to work on her. I had Robbie (air-cooled school) diagnose the basics of her last year. We were able to get her started and running on 2 cylinders and the FI systems seamed to be working ok. This lead me to believe that they FI system was in decent shape to support a rebuild.

I have just installed a rebuilt engine (bottom and top) and now working through diagnosing issues with the Fuel Injection system and tuning. My focus when you get here will be depended on what I am able to complete before you arrive. My bus has been sitting for over 20 yrs and I am slowly bringing her back to life. Current work completed
1. Rebuilt engine (upgraded oil pump,hydraulic lifters, new camshaft, bottom up rebuild) Builder used my old case.
2. POR-15 gas tank treatment, new sender and new fuel lines
3. New front brake calipers and pads, all new fuel lines
4. other odds and ends (completed properly and improperly)

Work needed
1. continued work to tune up engine. Runs Rich, hesitates, hard restart. ***Condensation accumulating on the outside of the air intake manifold and air intake tubes are COLD****
3. I have already had 4 of the 8 lifters replaced as we could not get them to lift. I am still having problems with lifters.
2.Upper and Lower Ball joints
3. steering damper
4. Check/adjust/maintenance shifting linkage

You have been to my house before. We have met in Maupin at the Rendez-VW. Hoping to see you later this year.

Keith

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 06, 2020 9:40 am

keithebbert wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:27 am
Runs Rich, hesitates, hard restart.
I am still having problems with lifters.

You have been to my house before.
Keith

If I remember correctly, Keith, you had a Ford-powered Vanagon? Extended family over for an excellent dinner?

Yes, we need to make your Volkswagen run like a Volkswagen. Based on the report above, I see some over-focused diagnosis/repair. I am leery of switching out lifters that were matched to the camshaft at initial break-in. Many times they can be disassembled on site and cleaned/repaired so you can defend that initial break-in matched lobe/lifter bottom.
Rich running, bad behavior low down makes me ask, did you get some "performance" grind?
Colin

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 pm

I may be ready to admit I just acquired a ford powered bay window (and it's a hightop camper too!) :cyclopsani:
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 07, 2020 2:25 pm

weisswurst wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 pm
I may be ready to admit I just acquired a ford powered bay window (and it's a hightop camper too!) :cyclopsani:
No way. Not you. Did not.
Colin :blackeye:

keithebbert
I'm New!

Post by keithebbert » Fri May 08, 2020 10:38 am

Hi Colin,

Yes to almost all of that.

The Vanagon is not FORD powered unless you mean Fix Or Repair Daily. the Engine is from an 86 GTI rabbit or Golf. Not sure.

Yes to the extended family and dinner afterwords etc.

All great points. I continue to tinker and will be testing my Cold Start Valve for my rich mixture. My intake distributor gets cold and wet so I understand that could be a problem and I realized a 'flooding' issue last night as I was attempting to adjust timing and idle screw settings. Bus started 1st try this morning.

Great points about my lifters. Not comfortable with attempting to dial in the lifters yet but i'll get there if you dont get her first.

As always I am sure that you'll have lots of people hoping to see you in Maupin so I suspect if you come out this way our 'day' would be somewhere close to that?

Anyway, ready to set up a day, I understand that COVID is making everything tentative.

Thanks

Keith

keithebbert
I'm New!

Post by keithebbert » Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 am

Ohhh

Performance Grind ?????

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat May 09, 2020 8:03 am

Jeff. Wha? A Ford powered Bay. Say it ain’t so, Joe.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 11, 2020 9:56 am

keithebbert wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 am
Ohhh

Performance Grind ?????

Yes. That is the question.
Do you have a performance grind camshaft installed in your current engine?
Colin

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon May 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
weisswurst wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:13 pm
No way. Not you. Did not.
Colin :blackeye:
I did... welcome to bay window land finally... (me) and if you are nice I will post a pic of the engine bay (no laughing it runs!)
frank en beans tow.jpg
frank en beans tow.jpg (84.44 KiB) Viewed 10525 times
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

keithebbert
I'm New!

Post by keithebbert » Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 am

Hi Colin,

I am going to say NO. My receipt for the rebuild only states the following

Specs. Includes Completely rebuilding Bottom End Reusing only Customer Supplied Case, Aligned Bored with All New Bearings, 26mm oil pump, reground Crank, Rods, Cam and Lifters, new Pistons Cylinders and New Heads

We didn't discuss upgrading for any 'performance' type specs.

I think that answers the mail???

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 12, 2020 8:46 am

keithebbert wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 am
Hi Colin,

I am going to say NO. My receipt for the rebuild only states the following

Specs. Includes Completely rebuilding Bottom End Reusing only Customer Supplied Case, Aligned Bored with All New Bearings, 26mm oil pump, reground Crank, Rods, Cam and Lifters, new Pistons Cylinders and New Heads

We didn't discuss upgrading for any 'performance' type specs.

I think that answers the mail???
Let's hope! Even mild grinds can wreak havoc on the vacuum signature and air flow.
Colin

keithebbert
I'm New!

Post by keithebbert » Tue May 12, 2020 9:37 am

Colin,

I am feeling moderately hopeful in my diagnosis to date.

1. Once I had the engine installed and started, I asked a reputable but not VW centric local mechanic to break-in the newly rebuilt engine and get her stable. This is when he found the lifter issue. To date the car has run with practically NO LOAD. Just at idle.
2. During his assessment he diagnosed an issue with what he believes is the potentiometer. When I received the bus back it idled with a high rpm (near 2000) and timing was advanced apprx 22 degrees. When I adjust the idle and timing back to spec the engine runs rough and when I turn it off she wont restart unless I floor the accelerator pedal or adjust the timing back to an advanced setting. As I said she runs rich.
3. I have gone through and tested almost all components of the engine (cold start, fuel pressure with and without vacuum, intake air sensor, Aux air regulator). I still have the Thermo-Time Switch to check, Deceleration air valve, and CHT to test but the CHT is new.
4. Fuel injectors are new and the mechanic felt comfortable that this was not a fuel delivery issue.
5. After the other checks, which I am assuming will be good, I have your potentiometer adjustment schimatic to attempt to adjust the idle and try and get the timing back to 5ATDC.
6. Anything else you might recommend before I start to tinker with the Potentiometer? (The seal had previously been broke so in the last 30 years it has probably been messed with).
7. Probably too much to try and diganos but any ideas would be wonder.
8. So you have any ideas about your possible arrival in the PNW yet for this year?

Thanks Keith

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 12, 2020 2:33 pm

keithebbert wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:37 am
Colin,
I am feeling moderately hopeful in my diagnosis to date.
When I received the bus back it idled with a high rpm (near 2000) and timing was advanced apprx 22 degrees.
When I adjust the idle and timing back to spec the engine runs rough
That little dirty trick of 22* @ a fast idle is called "hiding a problem".

Adjust the timing with no hoses at 3,400 rpm to 28* BTDC.
See if it will idle at whatever rpm it wants to without the retard hose.
Then see if the idle drops down when you put the retard hose on.

Let me know if the retard hose has an effect when you put it on.
Let me know what the idle is before the hose is put on, and what it is after you put the hose on.
IF the retard hose has an effect (lowering the idle), see if you can get 900-1,000 rpm by counterclockwise rotation of the big brass air screw with the retard hose on.

You may gently manipulate the wiper inside the air flow meter, counterclockwise richer/clockwise leaner, and see if you can get a nice idle. Let me know which direction gives you a good idle.
Colin

tewa3240
I'm New!

Post by tewa3240 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:30 pm

about the golf powered bus, check the CTS (coolant temp sensor) on the cylinder head water neck, when they fail they tend
to open circuit, so the computer thinks it's 20 degrees out, permanently. The exhaust will reek of fuel.
Just measure with ohmmeter, should be 2000 ohms cold, 400 ohms fully hot.