Electrical problem or no big deal?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Electrical problem or no big deal?

Post by tractoman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 am

I just got my bus running again after a 5 or so year layoff. I have an old optima red top which will take a charge, hold voltage but has very little amperage, as it will not crank over the bus. When it is installed, I can operate all the electrical stuff but it will not start. I use my portable jumper box and the bus starts fine with the offending optima installed. after removing the jumper box,I am getting a quick stumble of the engine when I turn on the headlights, or the hazard lights. At idle, I am getting about 13.4 volts at the battery. I know these 55 amp alternators are not powerhouse chargers but am I dealing with just a crappy battery pulling too much load while it is trying to take a charge and this is the cause for this stumble? Both pos and neg battery cables are new, clean connections at the starter, I have not checked trans ground strap yet and all, and I mean all, the lights work on the bus after not being used for about 5 years. Thank you dielectric grease. Lastly, the VR was pretty hot while I was running the bus but could be explained by the tired optima. I did use a fancy CTEK charger that can to AGM batts and it restored the voltage to an acceptable level but the battery still cannot perform under load. Is there a question here?
Does it seem like the low performing battery is causing the VR to get hot to the touch and the engine to stumble when idling and putting headlights or hazards on?
Working through little issue before getting back on the road.
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Electrical problem or no big deal?

Post by satchmo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Please, just put a new battery in there. You'll have to do this eventually anyway, and the new battery just might make all these questions irrelevant.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

tractoman
Getting Hooked!

Re: Electrical problem or no big deal?

Post by tractoman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 pm

satchmo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:40 pm
Please, just put a new battery in there. You'll have to do this eventually anyway, and the new battery just might make all these questions irrelevant.

Satchmo
That is my plan. I was more concerned about getting it running well which it is. Then I ventured into checking other things which I wanted to confirm before road testing. I am at step 2 of a billion but making progress.
:cheers:
Thanks,
Mike
'75 Westy