Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Stock 1776 Build for 71 Bus

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:20 am
Luckily I did it in front of a few dozen others, and was called out by the good people in the audience. :)
Robbie
Where what when?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 pm
asiab3 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:20 am
Luckily I did it in front of a few dozen others, and was called out by the good people in the audience. :)
Robbie
Where what when?
Colin
I live-broadcasted my short block build two weeks ago for people that were interested in seeing how it all goes together. I was torquing the first main bearing nut when TomWesty (I think) called out three cam bearing shells behind the case all cleaned and ready to go. :silent:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:10 am

asiab3 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm
I live-broadcasted my short block build two weeks ago for people that were interested in seeing how it all goes together.
Robbie
What shortblock build?
Why are you building a short block?
Is it your own?
Is it a customer's, like NYCynthia's?
Is it a spare?
Colin ??

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread Andy!*
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:10 am
What shortblock build?
Why are you building a short block?
Is it your own?
Is it a customer's, like NYCynthia's?
Is it a spare?
Mine.
I'm heading to Illinois this spring with the Colorado Rebuild. (JB Weld bearings, heli-coil-plugs, used camshaft…) I will have this new engine on standby until the week I leave for my trip and have that conversation with Buddy.
Yes.
No.
Yes.

*Andy, here is some motivation! :geek:
Robbie

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

blue72beetle
I'm New!

Post by blue72beetle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Time for an update for my glacial-progress thread here.

Had a visit from Colin a couple months ago, we went over all my new engine parts and he set me on the right path for what I need to do to get my short block put together. And no, I haven't made much more progress on it, lol. We spent a few minutes wondering why my bus wasn't running right, and we found tight exhaust valves. This was a surprise to me, as Robbie and I had done the valves around 1,000 miles ago. Anyway, it idled nice, but we didn't drive it.

I took it out a few days later and the same problems crept up. Stalls when you take your foot off the gas. I said screw it and sent the carb to Volkzbitz.
This piece of art came back:

I went to install it, and oops. Accel pump linkage hits the alternator. I didn't think to tell him I had an alternator when I sent it to him. So I send it back for the correct bracket and linkage. I get it back in the mail, crap, now I've lost my barrel clamp for the throttle cable. I've got quite a stash of random parts, maybe I have one somewhere. Finally find one attached to a heater box. As you can see, I'm also installing the correct throttle positioner pieces. I do a bit of research to see what hose goes where. Oh, one goes from the "altitude corrector" to the intake manifold. Hmmm, no tube anywhere on mine except for the brake booster. I knew it wouldn't be that easy. Back to the parts stash and find this, score. Now, can this be removed and installed without removing the engine or the center intake section?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:02 pm

blue72beetle wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:01 pm
Time for an update for my glacial-progress thread here.
can this be removed and installed without removing the engine or the center intake section?
Yes.

Please please please be very very very sure that the intake port surfaces and the intake manifold surfaces are magnificently clean in a truly outstanding way. You are using aluminum gaskets that are not forgiving of crud, dirt, old gasket material, etc.

I look forward to driving that bus if I ever ever ever decide to subject myself to eastern moisture ever again.
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Any update on this build? I am ruminating on a 1776 build and Mexican fuel injection too. If you used it - how are you finding it?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:14 pm

tommu wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:29 pm
I am ruminating on a 1776 build and Mexican fuel injection.

That's IT. NO KARMANN GHIA FOR YOU.
Stach Naitsche

(Why would you do that? You want to bleed when you change plugs . . . that's it.
You're traumatized. The bus engine saga did that to you.)

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Traumatized? Yes of course! But not by wonderful, stable and predictable fuel injection! We may be turning the Ghia back into a daily drive and I think this can be done sympathetically and without hackery. Mexican fuel injection does not need much more space than current configuration. I would keep the '71 oil bath and HE/Muffler.

blue72beetle
I'm New!

Post by blue72beetle » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 am

Another update for this stupid engine. I installed the beautiful carb, and I can't seem to get fuel to flow it. I replaced the fuel filter, and fuel is flowing out of the tank. It starts and runs when I dump a bit of fuel in the top of the carb but cranks forever otherwise. I've even taped off the top of the carb to try to get vacuum to help pull the fuel but no start.

If I can't get this thing started while there's few nice days remaining, I'm going to pull it all and do the Mexican FI over winter. I should've made an appointment with Colin this past summer

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:46 am

I followed it and forgot half my crank dowl pins. Oh to have an audience..

Andy - if you're anything like me then you'll benefit from a numbered checklist you write yourself for case assembly. Then find the time, space and patience to build and seal the case in one go, checking those steps off as you go. No interruptions.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 pm

blue72beetle wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 am
Another update for this stupid engine. I installed the beautiful carb, and I can't seem to get fuel to flow it. I replaced the fuel filter, and fuel is flowing out of the tank. It starts and runs when I dump a bit of fuel in the top of the carb but cranks forever otherwise. I've even taped off the top of the carb to try to get vacuum to help pull the fuel but no start.

If I can't get this thing started while there's few nice days remaining, I'm going to pull it all and do the Mexican FI over winter. I should've made an appointment with Colin this past summer
Fill the carburetor bowl through the little vent pipe, using an eye dropper, about twenty repetitions should do it, but if you see fuel begin to drip into the throat, stop right there and try to start as immediately as you can after putting the air filter back on.

Did you rebuild the fuel pump, or have it rebuilt? Feel free to tap the carb lightly at the fuel inlet while it runs the fuel you put in the bowl.

And we do not have to ask you if the inlet to the pump comes from the tank, and the outlet from the pump goes to the carburetor. Old style pumps inlet is on bottom, outlet on top.
Colin

blue72beetle
I'm New!

Post by blue72beetle » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:27 pm

This is an old picture from when I got the bus so don't judge me on it, but it shows the fuel pump. The outlet is on the bottom and inlet in the top, it's always been that way. Is that correct for this pump?

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:57 pm

That looks like the same new style pump I have used on several cars. In the top, out the bottom, just like humans take in and expel liquids.

Have you added gas with a dropper yet?

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 am

Did you check that the pump is pumping? You mention fuel flowing from the tank so I wasn't sure. You can remove fuel line from the carb, and with key off, turn engine with a wrench. Fuel should spurt out. Make sure you put the hose into a container! You appear to have an alternator style pump. You didn't accidentally leave the pushrod out? There are 2 pushrod lengths. A short one, 4" for alternator and a long 4.25" for generator. If you use the long one in the alt. pump it will damage it.
The alternator pumps cannot be rebuilt. There is also a chance that the pivot pin on the lower part of the pump has come out. If this is the case, you can fiddle it back in and peen the pump body to hold it in.