VW Bus Buying Advice

Buy & Sell all your Air-Cooled vehicles here! VW, Porsche, etc...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: VW Bus Buying Advice

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:27 am

I live less than 30 minutes from the akron/canton Vanagon, so if you'd like me to go take a look, get photos, and do a test drive for you, just let me know.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Here's the latest reply. What do you think about the engine bay/everything else?

Hi,
I got a little caught up with things and didn't get to take the photos yesterday (we're getting ready to move across the country, so things are a little crazy).

Got them done this morning - I also took a quick video of the engine while idling.
You can see them all here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fkTioi1wHWrRCoxS6

The photos show the old window seals around the driver and passenger window - I think they're about $25-50 to replace. The only thing under the vehicle that has rust is the exhaust. I have a brand new muffler and tailpipe that I didn't get around to putting on.

Also, some other things I forgot to put in the ad - it has a brand new clutch and flywheel. I also have the old flywheel if someone ever wanted to re-surface it to replace again in future.

Thanks,
Dan

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:48 am

omacdon2 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 pm
What do you think about the engine bay/everything else?
It looks like a solid, unmolested Bus. My question is, who did all of the engine rebuild/repair work (and are there receipts for everything)?

The engine sounds a little noisy in the video for one that should have hydraulic lifters.

Again, I'm local and I can go take a look for you in person if you'd like.
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 am

vwlover77 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:48 am
omacdon2 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 pm
What do you think about the engine bay/everything else?
It looks like a solid, unmolested Bus. My question is, who did all of the engine rebuild/repair work (and are there receipts for everything)?

The engine sounds a little noisy in the video for one that should have hydraulic lifters.

Again, I'm local and I can go take a look for you in person if you'd like.

Ok thank you so much for offering to take a look at the bus! The VW community rocks and I can't wait to be a part of it with a bus of my own. That would be great if you could go. His email from the Craigslist ad is 878c63ba8e143faaa3e3266bf12b7792@sale.craigslist.org to schedule a day to meet or if you tell me the day, I can tell him.

Edit: Did you already email him? He's asking if your name is Nathaniel but from you profile, it's Don.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm

omacdon2 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 am
Ok thank you so much for offering to take a look at the bus! The VW community rocks and I can't wait to be a part of it with a bus of my own. That would be great if you could go. His email from the Craigslist ad is 878c63ba8e143faaa3e3266bf12b7792@sale.craigslist.org to schedule a day to meet or if you tell me the day, I can tell him.

Edit: Did you already email him? He's asking if your name is Nathaniel but from you profile, it's Don.
I have not contacted him yet. I am indeed Don. I will contact him, and also PM you....
Don

78 Westy

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 pm

omacdon2 wrote: Thanks for always keeping a look out for me!
Here's another that's closer to the Troll than me. It belongs to a member of the northern Ohio LEAKOIL Bus group. I don't know the owner or the Bus personally, but one of the other members who knows his stuff and this Bus commented on the LEAKOIL forum that it's a very fair price.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2264044
Don

78 Westy

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:25 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 pm
omacdon2 wrote: Thanks for always keeping a look out for me!

Here's another that's closer to the Troll than me. It belongs to a member of the northern Ohio LEAKOIL Bus group. I don't know the owner or the Bus personally, but one of the other members who knows his stuff and this Bus commented on the LEAKOIL forum that it's a very fair price.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2264044

The second bus looks like its in good shape. I also found this bus on Samba posted today that's very close to me. Here are some pictures and a video, but the quality isn't that great. Thoughts? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZYWso ... IRmEpW6xLP

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:35 pm

The bus at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing is a 1.7 liter dual carbs. The owner says it fires up and runs under its own steam. The wires in the picture by the engine are from a battery charger because he put a trickle charge to keep it fully charged when not using it much. The battery was new last year. Any thoughts about this one or more specific questions I should ask? The price is out of my $10k price range, but I'm hoping I could negotiate

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2266450

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:45 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply. It looks basically sound in the photos (they looked OK on my iPad but terrible on my PC). Find out all you can about its history, especially the engine and suspension, and take it for a test drive!
Don

78 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:56 am

omacdon2 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:35 pm
The bus at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing is a 1.7 liter dual carbs. The owner says it fires up and runs under its own steam. The wires in the picture by the engine are from a battery charger because he put a trickle charge to keep it fully charged when not using it much. The battery was new last year. Any thoughts about this one or more specific questions I should ask? The price is out of my $10k price range, but I'm hoping I could negotiate

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2266450
What a horribly uninformative video. Not running on all cylinders, too dark and too herky jerky to see what all is going on in the engine. No photos of engine? Battery held in with wood? $13,500.00 ?? Only if you do top-drawer restorative work. Then it is worth $30,000.00
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 am

omacdon2 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:02 pm
I just messaged the seller of the Pensacola bus so we'll see what they say :)

I also just found this local bus https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/d ... 77478.html and messaged the seller too. OMG Update: I just did a reverse image search and found the pictures of it all over the internet from "buses" in different locations. Probably another scammer
hey, I spoke to a guy last sept with a baywindow in Pensacola that was auto trans (his name was Nick)
seemed like a straight shooter and seemed to know the right VW stuff.
was that the seller you mentioned here? I am headed to Pensacola this wed night for an appt on thursday if you want me to look at it in person...
-Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm

That's very kind of you. I'm not sure anymore if his name was Nick because the ad isn't on Craigslist anymore and I messaged so many VW's for more info that I can't remember.
weisswurst wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 am
omacdon2 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:02 pm
I just messaged the seller of the Pensacola bus so we'll see what they say :)

I also just found this local bus https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/cto/d ... 77478.html and messaged the seller too. OMG Update: I just did a reverse image search and found the pictures of it all over the internet from "buses" in different locations. Probably another scammer
hey, I spoke to a guy last sept with a baywindow in Pensacola that was auto trans (his name was Nick)
seemed like a straight shooter and seemed to know the right VW stuff.
was that the seller you mentioned here? I am headed to Pensacola this wed night for an appt on thursday if you want me to look at it in person...
-Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Every damn listing is expired. How about you all do a screen capture of your listing so at least we have an archive of what was available and at what cost through these threads. As it is, I have to delete a pile of these posts ... Sorry.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:35 pm

weisswurst wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 am
I am headed to Pensacola this wed night for an appt on thursday if you want me to look at it in person...
-Jeff

Beer at Hub Stacy's 312 E Government St, Pensacola, FL 32502
at 6:30PM ish Thursday? PM me.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:48 pm

omcadon2 - Don't let Colin's curmudgeonly post deter you from posting. That said - he makes a point - over the past 6 months we've posted some very viable options and many members here have been willing to take time to go look on your behalf. If you find something really interesting, you need to make very deliberate steps to make things happen. You appear at this point to be a bit of a dreamer. 10k is a good budget, however, for that budget you will most likely have to ship it vs driving and it may need some work (trade off of mechanical reliability vs cosmetics). You need to tell us what exactly you will and will not tolerate. We all want to want to make your dream bus come true...however, you need to be equally committed.

I look forward to seeing a happy ending to this thread. :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::