VW Bus Buying Advice

Buy & Sell all your Air-Cooled vehicles here! VW, Porsche, etc...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

tommu
Old School!

Re: VW Bus Buying Advice

Post by tommu » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:12 am

Did you broach the topic of them registering before you purchase? The fact Colin is in town makes this a potentially good situation.

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Hmm true. I would just need to figure out a way to get down there since work/school is pretty busy at the moment. The most ideal thing would be if it was a bit closer and a bit cheaper since 10k is my absolute max, but if it's a really good bus... Colin, should I go ahead and contact the guy for you to check it out? Are you still in the area?

I also saw this one in West Virginia. It doesn't have the stove/camping interior though. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2244980

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Almost anything in life is a set of compromises. :) The bus in WV seems to have many of the mechanical bits sorted which you seemed most worried about. If you are looking for a bus to take that epic trip in, would not be worried about it missing a stove...throw a Colman stove in their and call it good. Although I would ask if he has all of the interior panels...not that they can't be fabricated, but it would make things easier if they have them. I can tell you that the bus will be MUCH noisier without them.

As for the FL bus, FWIW, you can get a cheap ticket on Spirit and drive it back if it is drive worthy.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:36 am

There's this post here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=714107
If it's as described it'll go quick.

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:40 pm

Wow that bus looks pristine! That looks like my dream bus, thanks for this. I will ask some further questions.

And here's the owner's reply for the West Virginia bus...

I've owned the bus for roughly three years. The reliability is solid, I've taken it to North Carolina twice (13 hours one way) and many other shorter trips with no problems. One of those NC trips was in 97 degree weather and Sweet Green still ran fine. The engine rebuild was done by the last owner at a shop in New York, I have the paper work, its the original engine (2.0 FI) but tore down and all faulty parts replaced. Rubber seals? I'm guessing weather stripping (doors, engine bay) their rough but I haven't had any issues. The tires have 80% tread, no cracking, last owner put them on. Yes, it has West Virginia inspection but expired I think 6 months ago, haven't renewed since I planned on selling. Any other questions let me know.

And the reply from the stunning Iowa bus: Haven’t completely decided to sell just yet. Little to no rust, the window and door seals were replaced in 2000. The quality of replacement door rubber was pretty bad, so they are probably all due for replacement. The two front window rubber is also all due for replacement, but all the rest of the window rubber should be fine. Tires are pretty low miles, but are probably getting old enough to need replacement. Engine is a 1600cc dual port with 20,000ish miles. All the parts are there and excellent quality.....probably could use a seal refresh to cure some oil leaks. The engine runs very good and very cool. Brakes need gone thru, as does some steering/suspension stuff. I don’t think I would jump right in and drive her that distance....it needs some work before she’d be ready for that.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Updates! We demand updates!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:21 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:07 pm
So ya' know a guy in So Cal that does inspections, eh? ;)
Oh heck yeah, he'll air school your a$$ if you are trying to sell a dangerous piece of crap with lousy fuel hoses.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Hahaa no updates sadly... I guess the Iowa bus isn't selling at the moment. I think it might be better to get one in the springtime or summer rather than driving it home in this huge blizzard snowstorm we just got. But I still check Samba for new listings every day.:) It's crazy to think how much I've learned what to look out for and the different VW parts because of this forum and the VW manuals. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

tommu wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm
Updates! We demand updates!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 pm

omacdon2 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:02 pm
Hahaa no updates sadly... I guess the Iowa bus isn't selling at the moment. I think it might be better to get one in the springtime or summer rather than driving it home in this huge blizzard snowstorm we just got. But I still check Samba for new listings every day.:) It's crazy to think how much I've learned what to look out for and the different VW parts because of this forum and the VW manuals. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

Heck, I will be on the road soon enough.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 am

I know this isn't a camper, but it looks solid and seems to have had a lot of work done to it....

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/cto/d/al ... 81405.html

EDIT:

I know this is a bit above your price range, but looks really clean, and a good deal

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/ ... 02319.html
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 am
I know this isn't a camper, but it looks solid and seems to have had a lot of work done to it....

EDIT:

I know this is a bit above your price range, but looks really clean, and a good deal

Thanks for always keeping a look out for me! That second bus looks awesome even though I never thought I would get a T3. It seems pretty solid mechanically and has all the extras too. I just messaged the seller with some further questions. Fingers crossed!

Update: Here's the response!
Hi,
It drives really well, especially since the engine rebuild. I would absolutely drive it across country, but you would always have to accept that you never know what could happen to any vehicle this old. The undercarriage is very clean, no rust at all - I can take photos tomorrow. The window seals, I have never changed any, except that we had a new windshield put in when we first bought it about 5 or so years ago. The side window could probably do with replacement. Nothing leaks currently. I'll take photos of the windows too.

We're looking to sell this very soon, or we're going to have to schedule to ship it to Oregon with us. The only reason we're selling is that we'd simply prefer to avoid the risk of it getting damaged while shipping.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:47 pm

have him take some pics of the engine compartment.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:07 am

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:50 am

EDIT:

Both look tantalizing ...
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 am

We all know Colin has soft spot for transporters :)

With just a liiiiittle work, this could be (close to) the Road Warrior's twin...wrong year, but right paint scheme.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/ ... 45579.html
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

omacdon2
Getting Hooked!

Post by omacdon2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 am
We all know Colin has soft spot for transporters :)

With just a liiiiittle work, this could be (close to) the Road Warrior's twin...wrong year, but right paint scheme.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/ ... 45579.html
Oh my goodness that bus looks like it's buried under trees. That description though.. "interoier is all there and in fair shape." =D>