Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Finally!

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 pm

tommu wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 pm
What did Len do to your heads? I have blueprinted heads in Gary, and as this engine breaks in I am pleasantly surprised by the power it has. I'm mulling over the idea of a T4 in the Ghia.

Did you really think that you could get away with this mull in a public sphere?

Before I get shot down for being a stoch-Schnozy, allow me to ask/challenge your needs for motive force in the Karmann Ghia.

Did I tell you how much I loved my BMW 2002 for its delightful balance and spirited reflexes?
Did I mention how much I hate the new bloated BMW 3 Series pigs for their weight and electric steering?
How did they get to this sorry state of affairs?

Did I ever tell you how much I adored my '71 911 2.2? And how much I despised the later heavier weighed down stupidly complex offspring of that gorgeous classic great?

Did I ever tell you how much I loved my 6 cylinder 525i because you could still toss it with abandon,
while the 530/540 E34s were understeering pigs?

Did I mention that lean Photobucket became bloatware Photobucket?
Did I mention that lean MapQuest became horrific ad-stuffed Mapquest?
Have you visited that beautiful Intellicast site recently? Done/ It is now repulsive weather underground crap.

The restless efforts to "improve" upon the well-engineered past by bringing upgrades never works as well as the originals because you lose the intuition, the balance, the integrity the classic car value.

A Type 4 engine sitting in the back of your lovely Karmann Ghia has to fit a transaxle. It has to be suspended correctly. It is heavier by just enough that you will feel it at every curve swerve forever. What about the heater ducts? What carburetion could you possibly put on the Type 4 that will have full fuel evaporative capabilities, preheat, intake heat, breather ducting, and choke performance that you now enjoy seamlessly?
What exhaust system could ever fit as tidily as the one you now have?

What price have thousands of people paid for "performance" that is only noticeable in minor slivers of daily driving existence?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:23 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 pm
tommu wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 pm
What did Len do to your heads? I have blueprinted heads in Gary, and as this engine breaks in I am pleasantly surprised by the power it has. I'm mulling over the idea of a T4 in the Ghia.

Did you really think that you could get away with this mull in a public sphere?

Before I get shot down for being a stoch-Schnozy, allow me to ask/challenge your needs for motive force in the Karmann Ghia.

Did I ever tell you how much I adored my '71 911 2.2? And how much I despised the later heavier weighed down stupidly complex offspring of that gorgeous classic great?
This is why I never went the route of installing a six in my 914 instead upping the HP of the type 4 to125-130hp for the balance of a narrow bodied 914. Installing a six really means going the route of big tires with GT fender flares..BIg $$$$.

The restless efforts to "improve" upon the well-engineered past by bringing upgrades never works as well as the originals because you lose the intuition, the balance, the integrity the classic car value.
Nah......you still haven't driven my 914 with its "spirited" flavor. 125hp, close ratio 5 speed gear box and AX suspension setup is a different animal than a stock 90hp 914.

A Type 4 engine sitting in the back of your lovely Karmann Ghia has to fit a transaxle. It has to be suspended correctly. It is heavier by just enough that you will feel it at every curve swerve forever.
Yes, there would have to be so changes to balance out the extra weight. Maybe moving the battery upfront, stiffer rear shocks (Koni's) and some mods to the front too.

What about the heater ducts? You use 411/412 heat exchangers.

What carburetion could you possibly put on the Type 4 that will have full fuel evaporative capabilities, preheat, intake heat, breather ducting, and choke performance that you now enjoy seamlessly? [/i}
I would go the route of FI either the later Bug Ljet setup or aftermarket dual throttle bodies

What exhaust system could ever fit as tidily as the one you now have? There are several out there that are pretty nice setups, of course not stock.

What price have thousands of people paid for "performance" that is only noticeable in minor slivers of daily driving existence?
Now for me this is the big question. Why? my ghia is just fine as a single port 1600 with it's 57hp pushing up to to speeds of 80mph plus 25-30mpg. For crazy aircooled performance I can switch cars and get in the 914 for unreal cornering, speed (easy 120mph) and comfortable cruzing at 70-80 mph. The ghia sucks at all 3 of those but with the top down on a sunny day in the city it is a fantastic car.
Now a engine rebuild is coming pretty soon for the ghia so Len will be doing a set of single port heads with all the magic he can do so it's the last engine this car will have.
Colin
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:16 am

I don't have a 914 to drive for that kind of fun. Maybe that's part of the problem.

After building Gary's new engine I was wondering what to do for the Ghia. I also have a couple of T4 blocks sitting in my garage right now and a complete ljet setup. Hence the mulling.

What I really want is fuel injection, a little more power but to keep everything as stock as possible. I really don't want to manage dual carbs and I wouldn't miss managing a single carb. I've also been considering whether to start collecting either original German or late Mexican FI. It didn't cross my mind to go to Len for the heads. I think I could build something with far better balance than is there now, a bit more displacement and FI.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:14 am

A type 4 case with adapted cooling and Mexi FI sounds good to me. My ghia is put away for the winter as its those cold starts and engine warm up with a single carb that suck. I try to never drive it in the rain because I haven't been able to make it leak proof, yet! The Westy is our DD in winter/rain or the 914 with it's awesome heat and FI.
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 am

tommu wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:16 am
What I really want is something with far better balance than is there now.

I took the liberty to edit your wants away from descriptions of equipment, back to the subjective sensations.

You do have a 1600 dualport with a 34 Pict3 and dual vacuum distributor, correct?
If you have the 165-15 wheels in that clattery bucket of bolts you and I drove, my gear calculator says a nice normal shift into 4th occurs at 3,550 rpm at 50 mph.
We done have did that.

Now, let's imagine a beautifully balanced (that means fan and alternator too!) tight 1600 that can easily rev to its normal horsepower peak of 4,400 rpm smoothly.
With a beautifully balanced engine, you can shift
into 2nd at the horsepower peak of 4,400 rpm at 20 mph.
into 3rd at the horsepower peak of 4,400 rpm at 38 mph.
into 4th at the horsepower peak of 4,400 rpm at 62 mph.

So go do that with bucket o' bolts, ( I don't think it will throw a rod ... ) and tell me what you think.
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 am

I thought his was a 70 like mine so it should look stock like this with a vacuum dizzy.
Attachments
IMG_7506.jpg
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 am
I thought his was a 70 like mine so it should look stock like this with a vacuum dizzy.

Geoff,
I keep exhaustive records of the billions of variations that each of my customers throw at me:
Colin :compress:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:57 pm

What is there to "manage" on a single carb? Should I be managing mine better? Haven't needed to touch it since Obama was in the white house… :pirate:

Soon I'll be deviating from stock(!) and installing my new counter-weighted-crankshaft-equipped 1584 single port. I don't know of any buses besides Hambone's (hi Bob!) with a counter-weighted crank, so I'll just have to bring it by Burbank next month for you to sample. :)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Interesting that the Dansk muffler has the preheat on the right and that the preheat does not intrude into the muffler. I found a 'NOS' muffler (not sure of make - maybe Earnst) with the same configuration. Yet made stamped 'Made in West Germany'. I'm not sure how far those pea shooters should enter the muffler. Do they really backfire if not in far enough?

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:13 pm

asiab3 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:57 pm
What is there to "manage" on a single carb? Should I be managing mine better? Haven't needed to touch it since Obama was in the white house… :pirate:
May I present:

a) 429000 hits against the web search pict 34 adjustment
b)24 pages of forum posts with just 'pict' int the title
c) Oh this thread

Sure, it's easy to be all smug and confident that you can tune it once you've gained competence but that competence doesn't come easily if you're not carb aware! Your customers may appreciate a little empathy with that! :bom:

Besides herman is different depending on air moisture, temperature, pressure and position of the moon. I am fine with that right now, it's nice to have some character. But I also like the stability that fuel injection brings and will install it on a new engine. Question I'm mulling over is that I can buy the original system for a third of the price of a Mexi/Megasquirt. But the Mexi/megasquirt is light years ahead of the Ljet.
Soon I'll be deviating from stock(!) and installing my new counter-weighted-crankshaft-equipped 1584 single port. I don't know of any buses besides Hambone's (hi Bob!) with a counter-weighted crank, so I'll just have to bring it by Burbank next month for you to sample. :)
Yes! Were you not tempted to join the future with dual ports too? Now you're not stock after all..

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:59 am

I am staying single port but will have Len work his magic on them maybe with bigger valves and porting plus coating the combustion chamber.I am thinking about going with old school dual single carbs for that 356 look.
Geoff

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 am

asiab3 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Robbie
I had a counterweighted crank in my old 64 SB and it made it soo smooth along with balancing everything. I do have a counterweighted crank in the 914 plus lightened flywheel so it revs to 6500rpms smoothly.
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:59 am
I am staying single port but will have Len work his magic on them maybe with bigger valves and porting plus coating the combustion chamber.I am thinking about going with old school dual single carbs for that 356 look.
Why does Len keep saying that he does not work on Type 1 heads?
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:00 pm

tommu wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 pm
Interesting that the Dansk muffler has the preheat on the right and that the preheat does not intrude into the muffler. I found a 'NOS' muffler (not sure of make - maybe Earnst) with the same configuration. Yet made stamped 'Made in West Germany'. I'm not sure how far those pea shooters should enter the muffler. Do they really backfire if not in far enough?

The preheater flow is caused by a hot outlet temperature and pulse at the #2 exhaust flange, allegedly flowing into much cooler <relatively!) denser air in the muffler. Does the left side heat riser have a pipe coming up from the muffler?

Pea shooters have an actual depth specification as found in the Bentley, IIRC.
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:51 pm

It's on the right side. Should be visible in the picture above. Apparently the pipe moved to the right after 1971. I read, but cannot find again, a dealer technical note explaining that they moved sides for faster preheating. Seems they changed how far the pipe enters the muffler then too.