Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Las Vegas?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Las Vegas?

Post by Abscate » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 pm

SOUnds like a great visit.

God, those houses are like pustules on top of chancre sores - unbelievable.

The older I get, the less I use my horn. It never helps you get the attention of someone who isnt sit aware, because by the time they hear you, look up, see you, and think about action - its all over.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Abscate wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 pm
Yes.
Abscate wrote:
Yes.
Abscate wrote:
The older I get, the less I use my horn. It never helps you get the attention of someone who isnt sit aware, because by the time they hear you, look up, see you, and think about action - its all over.
Hell yes.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Hell Yes
The "neighborhoods" have been the hardest thing to get used to living out here. I grew up outside of St.Louis on the Illinois side, and spent a fair amount of time in Upstate NY in the Finger Lake region, the architecture (if you can call it that) is atrocious.

I miss the big Victorian houses with wrap around porches with a bit of land.
79 Riviera CA FI

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:52 am

Those neighborhoods are the symptom of a pandemic. It’s called “developer greenback fever”.

The only cure..people stop buying garbage houses for too much money. Instead of the biggest house on the smallest possible lot it needs to go back to modest house with some yard space and a tree or two.

It’s all about the developers margins...

Totally disgusting.

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm

so, I was finally able to source a 14mm Inner Diameter Braided Vacuum Line to remedy a small leak that Colin found on his visit. It would be "G" (Aux. air regulator to air plenum) according to Mr. Ratwell.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

What steps would be recommended to get this guy replaced? It's wedged in there pretty good, but I am not seeing anything that would be easily removed to make it easy.

Part Two: On startup, I am idling right around the 1000rpm mark. As the bus warms up, I am noticing on the tach that at lights and whatnot, she is idling around the 1500rpm mark. Is this a result of the above leak, or do I need to investigate elsewhere?

Part Three: Rapid turn signal on the driver side. All bulbs function, but driver side is extremely fast, passenger side functioning normal. Would this be a poor ground or is my switch the culprit?

Scott
79 Riviera CA FI

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 pm

ScottLasVegas wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm
so, I was finally able to source a 14mm Inner Diameter Braided Vacuum Line to remedy a small leak that Colin found on his visit. It would be "G" (Aux. air regulator to air plenum) according to Mr. Ratwell.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

What steps would be recommended to get this guy replaced? It's wedged in there pretty good, but I am not seeing anything that would be easily removed to make it easy.

Part Two: On startup, I am idling right around the 1000rpm mark. As the bus warms up, I am noticing on the tach that at lights and whatnot, she is idling around the 1500rpm mark. Is this a result of the above leak, or do I need to investigate elsewhere?

Part Three: Rapid turn signal on the driver side. All bulbs function, but driver side is extremely fast, passenger side functioning normal. Would this be a poor ground or is my switch the culprit?

Scott
1) To replace G I remove the AAR itself. It has two big screws that are very satisfying to unscrew. Once that's off you can remove the old G, install the new one and manhandle it back in place.

2) Your idle difference may also be due to the AAR, it might not be opening wide enough for long enough - or even working at all. You can test its resistance to see if it's even working. This thread is really helpful: https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewto ... 7&start=30.

3) Grounds are easier to troubleshoot and always enjoy a good cleaning!

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 am

thank you Tommu! I know what I am doing this weekend. Appreciate the quick response.

Scott
79 Riviera CA FI

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Alright, the AAR vacuum leak has been remedied.... My idle is now consistently at around 1600rpm's.

Is it time for a valve adjustment and timing? Or should I look elsewhere first? Honestly, its been about a year since i did the valves and timing, so should probably do it regardless.

Scott
79 Riviera CA FI

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:15 pm

So, the rain has cleared and the weather is going to get into the 60's today, so I figured that a bus into work was needed. It's about 20 mile drive all freeway. After exiting the freeway, while sitting at a light the RPM's were sitting at 2500. This stressed me out so I could the engine and restarted, and it dropped back down to 1600 or so.

Not sure where to troubleshoot?

Scott
79 Riviera CA FI

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Some things can be confoundingly infuriating.

I wonder if this vacuum related still or even something hanging up mechanically. When it's high, does the idle change it's resting place after you tap the throttle a couple of times? How about if you remove vacuum from the distributor or remove the filler cap.

I smoke test my vacuum pipes to see if and where they're leaking. It's stinky but very effective!

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm

I would put a vacuum gauge on it. If you don't have one, they aren't too expensive. IIRC it should be pulling between 18"-21" of vacuum. That will at least rule this problem out. I haven't read through the whole string, so forgive me if I'm repeating, but a couple of places I would look for vacuum leaks would be:

- loose intake nuts (found these loose on mine a few times
- S boot
- 3 way plastic Tee (prone to splitting)
- brake booster line

I use starting fluid/ether to check for leaks...spray on the possible culprit, if idle goes up, you have a leak. Another way to check is with an (unlit) propane torch - same effect.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm

thank you for the responses Tommu & Troll. Have some work to do this weekend. I will try with the starter fluid first on the obvious, and if nothing jumps out go for the smoke test.

It is constant at the RPM's. So if she decides its going to be 1600, its and even 1600. Same when it jumped to 2500 on the way in, it was a consistent 2500.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, the hose that i replaced has been needing replaced for a bit. Could it have been timed to adjust for the leak, and once the leak was removed, it naturally wants to sit at 1600? or is it 2 separate systems at work?

Scott
79 Riviera CA FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 am

ScottLasVegas wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm
thank you for the responses Tommu & Troll. Have some work to do this weekend. I will try with the starter fluid first on the obvious, and if nothing jumps out go for the smoke test.

It is constant at the RPM's. So if she decides its going to be 1600, its and even 1600. Same when it jumped to 2500 on the way in, it was a consistent 2500.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, the hose that i replaced has been needing replaced for a bit. Could it have been timed to adjust for the leak, and once the leak was removed, it naturally wants to sit at 1600? or is it 2 separate systems at work?

Scott

Scott! Sorry I'm late. Your centrifugal advance is running away on you. It begins to advance at 1,100 rpm or so. Turn in the big idle speed screw. Turn it in even if you have to seat it. At some point, if you hit the 1,100 rpm transition point, the idle will come down by itself (and even drop way too low). Set the idle speed anywhere between 950 and no more than 1,050 RPM. THEN check your 3,400 RPM timing (vacuum hose off distributor advance!) and see if idle comes back down to whatever RPM you scored above.

IF you cannot get the idle speed down and the speed screw is bottomed out, you have an illicit air supply that you need to track down. Throttle body-to-intake plenum gasket, AAR not closing, etc.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Scott! Sorry I'm late. Your centrifugal advance is running away on you. It begins to advance at 1,100 rpm or so. Turn in the big idle speed screw. Turn it in even if you have to seat it. At some point, if you hit the 1,100 rpm transition point, the idle will come down by itself (and even drop way too low). Set the idle speed anywhere between 950 and no more than 1,050 RPM. THEN check your 3,400 RPM timing (vacuum hose off distributor advance!) and see if idle comes back down to whatever RPM you scored above.

IF you cannot get the idle speed down and the speed screw is bottomed out, you have an illicit air supply that you need to track down. Throttle body-to-intake plenum gasket, AAR not closing, etc.
Colin
Thank you for weighing in. I will start with the big idle screw, and go from there. I may get to work on it tomorrow, but more than likely on Saturday.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. I will let y'all know how it turns out.

Scott
79 Riviera CA FI

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Good news, the fast blinking on the driver's side turn signal has been remedied. Pulled the housing off the rear and cleaned up connections, and hit everything with some dialectic grease. all good now.

Bad news, i have another vacuum leak at the intake valves. Need to order some gaskets, and see if that does it. I just hit it with some carb cleaner, and the rpm's jumped. Ran out of daylight to see if it was just loose. Leaning towards just doing a smoke test for some peace of mind, and so i just fix it all at once instead of fixing one leak just to find the next one.

Scott
79 Riviera CA FI