Clutch cable adjustment - '78

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Transmission nose cone

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:29 pm

THall wrote:I've decided I'm going to remove the nose cone to check the condition of the components within. Having never done this, are there any precautions I should take while attempting this procedure? Such as...

1. Does it matter what gear it's in?

2. My engine and tranny are currently mated. Is it ok that the tranny will be horizontal?

3. Will any of the parts want to fall out when pulling off the nose cone that I'd need to be aware of?

4. Will I need to position a receptacle to catch gear oil? Not sure if this is full of fluid?

Any other words of wisdom you may be able to enlighten me with?

Thank you!
Put it in neutral.

Drain transaxle oil AND have a catch basin under the nose cone.

No

DO loosen the nose cone bolts only about three or four turns and get a razor blade in there to free the gasket if it is sticking to both the nose cone and the transaxle before you give the nose cone enough movement to rip the gasket. Nothing wrong with trying to save it unless you have a new gasket sitting there next to you. Have you read and looked at the pictures of my BobD/Chloe nosecone jobs?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Additional neophyte question...as for being in neutral; is there a recommended way of working the gear shaft to find each position?

I have not seen the BobD/Chloe write-ups....I'll look for them.

Thanks Colin
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:44 pm

THall wrote:Additional neophyte question...as for being in neutral; is there a recommended way of working the gear shaft to find each position?

I have not seen the BobD/Chloe write-ups....I'll look for them.

Thanks Colin
You are talking about the selector rod coming out of the transaxle, yaah?
Get a pair of small visegrips and a leather belt and grip the selector rid at the divot where the coupler grub screw goes in. You should be able to push or pull that selector, doesn't matter which way or where you end up, just do it. Now that you know how much effort it takes, zero in on the detent action that occurs. Go one detent in or out from whichever direction you last went. You should be able to now rotate the visegrips side to side about a half an inch, but *not be able to* if you are either pushed all the way in or all the way out. That is neutral.
Colin

BobD:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11627

Chloe:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11615#p202525

THall
Getting Hooked!

Re: Clutch cable adjustment - '78

Post by THall » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:43 am

Excellent, that's what I needed to know.

Thank you Colin...staying warm? It's 8 degrees this morning here in Madison, too early in the season for this.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:07 pm

THall wrote:Excellent, that's what I needed to know.

Thank you Colin...staying warm? It's 8 degrees this morning here in Madison, too early in the season for this.
I am frozen. Pensacola FL we're hitting the record low (1951)tonight 28*.
It is the stupid Pacific Ocean AGAIN, some warm blob out there is steering the jet stream up high out west so it then has to squirt down all over us with Arctic blasts because of the Greenland block or whatever.
Colin - Doctor of Armchair Meteorology

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:59 am

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote:I've decided I'm going to remove the nose cone to check the condition of the components within. Having never done this, are there any precautions I should take while attempting this procedure? Such as...

1. Does it matter what gear it's in?

2. My engine and tranny are currently mated. Is it ok that the tranny will be horizontal?

3. Will any of the parts want to fall out when pulling off the nose cone that I'd need to be aware of?

4. Will I need to position a receptacle to catch gear oil? Not sure if this is full of fluid?

Any other words of wisdom you may be able to enlighten me with?

Thank you!
Put it in neutral.

Drain transaxle oil AND have a catch basin under the nose cone.

No

DO loosen the nose cone bolts only about three or four turns and get a razor blade in there to free the gasket if it is sticking to both the nose cone and the transaxle before you give the nose cone enough movement to rip the gasket. Nothing wrong with trying to save it unless you have a new gasket sitting there next to you. Have you read and looked at the pictures of my BobD/Chloe nosecone jobs?
Colin
The nose job has been done....well, at least the disassemble and inspection portion. The gasket was not salvageable as it was stuck to the nose cone flange pretty good. I used a razor blade and light sanding with fine grit sand paper to remove it's remains.

Here are photos of the procedure:

Looks to be the original plastic donut bushing. Is it recommended to replace that with the metal variety regardless of the condition?

Hockey stick looks good. No grooves, nice and smooth.

Any advise or suggestions going forward?
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 pm

THall wrote: Any advise or suggestions going forward?
You want the nose cone to be expertly milled down until that bearing damage is gone.
No more than .010". Must be absolutely true to the current permeter.

Get a steel hockey stick ball if you are going to keep that infernal stupid shifter spring . . .
Colin
(this discussion was in the BobD thread)

THall
Getting Hooked!

Re: Nose cone refresh

Post by THall » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:39 am

I did go with the steel hockey stick ball from Long Enterprises. This new one is a super tight fit on the end of the hockey stick shaft, not sliding on easily. How tight/loose should the action be on the bushing to slide on the shaft? The plastic one slid very freely, even had some slop. My guess is that I will need to lightly sand the shaft to provide the bushing easier movement?
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:23 am

THall wrote:I did go with the steel hockey stick ball from Long Enterprises. This new one is a super tight fit on the end of the hockey stick shaft, not sliding on easily. How tight/loose should the action be on the bushing to slide on the shaft? The plastic one slid very freely, even had some slop. My guess is that I will need to lightly sand the shaft to provide the bushing easier movement?
As mentioned on theSamba, let Rick know of your tight fitting steel ball. It is supposed to slide easily with no slop.
Colin

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:22 am

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote:I did go with the steel hockey stick ball from Long Enterprises. This new one is a super tight fit on the end of the hockey stick shaft, not sliding on easily. How tight/loose should the action be on the bushing to slide on the shaft? The plastic one slid very freely, even had some slop. My guess is that I will need to lightly sand the shaft to provide the bushing easier movement?
As mentioned on theSamba, let Rick know of your tight fitting steel ball. It is supposed to slide easily with no slop.
Colin
Yes, I saw your reply over on there...my impatience led me astray :blackeye:

I did speak with Rick and he said in all of his years in the business he had never heard of this happening and has not experienced any variation in quality of that bushing.

His suggestion was to closely inspect the shaft for any burrs and file them down as necessary. He also offered to send me either another steel one or try a plastic one.

I didn't detect any noticeable burrs on the tip or on the shaft itself but after some light sanding with fine grit emery cloth it is now sliding easily with no slop. So, I think I'm in good shape.

I will also add that it was a pleasure to do business with Rick Long. He was very generous with his time in answering my questions and had genuine concern in making sure that any issues would be resolved.

Thank you Colin
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:25 am

Glad you got the bushing on, and thanks for the feedback on Rick. It's good to know that some people still care.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:45 am

asiab3 wrote:Glad you got the bushing on, and thanks for the feedback on Rick. It's good to know that some people still care.
Rick is a good guy, but repeat your parts orders with great deliberation . . . :blackeye: