The Maupin Rendezvous

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

71whitewesty
Addicted!

The Maupin Rendezvous

Post by 71whitewesty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 am

Well I just had my first visit with Colin during the Maupin Rendezvous and it exceeded my expectations all around. It was a real treat to say the least. I had only booked a half day so that we could still enjoy the gathering of the tribes.
My problem was the classic .009 hesitation. It has driving me nuts since I've had this bus. No doubt wearing out my clutch at a much higher rate with the necessary feathering as needed during take off.
I had brought along a 205Q distributor and a NOS vacuum can that came from Cypress just in the nick of time.
So after a few questions, and comments, we started with checking my valve adjustment techniques. I had just adjusted them two days before and right off the bat, I learned some great tips, techniques and reasons for keeping them juuusst right.
Then we moved on to the cleaning, disassembly and reassembling of the 205Q dist. Put it back in and went through the static timing process and then to the timing light and then the carb adjustment.
This was all done on the grass with my family in tow at the campout with diversions of some great characters walking around with these t-shirts that said WWCD...? Soon to find out that it meant "What Would Colin Do?" and also a small parade of about 20 914's that pulled in during a rally drive.
We got it back together and left my family in the drive away side tent for a test drive. The lessons continued through the drive of course... but bottom line is it has never ran smoother during my ownership. It was perfect and all I ever wanted. My wife hasn't driven the bus since the first day I got it 4 or 5 years ago because the hesitation made it tricky. But on the way home she drove at least part of the way! This is going to be real helpful on the long trips.
All in all it was the best money I've spent on the bus and any car for that matter. Thank you Colin, this was an incredible experience and an invaluable service you provide. Exceeded all expectations and a real treat for me to meet you and tap into some of your knowledge.
I hope you come through next year as I will for sure want to book you again.
Cannot thank you enough, it was a beautiful, hesitation free drive home! =D>

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Re: The Maupin Rendezvous

Post by 71whitewesty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 am

And by the way, I did take some photos that I will try and upload here soon. But today we are heading down the Oregon coast for a good 1000 mile, 6 day trip....smoothest ever.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 am

71whitewesty wrote:And by the way, I did take some photos that I will try and upload here soon. But today we are heading down the Oregon coast for a good 1000 mile, 6 day trip....smoothest ever.
Music to my ears. One more Hesitation Eradication down, 22,988 to go!

It was great to meet you and your beeyootiful family!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Glad to hear of another successful 009 to 205Q convert! Although the retard side of my can just took a dump, it's still one of those things that I kick myself for not doing earlier.

Pics!!!
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 am

asiab3 wrote:Glad to hear of another successful 009 to 205Q convert! Although the retard side of my can just took a dump, it's still one of those things that I kick myself for not doing earlier.

Pics!!!
You have my express permission to quit kicking yourself. There's driving to be done.
Colin
(still kicking myself for not investing in Microsoft in 1987)

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:16 am

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:Glad to hear of another successful 009 to 205Q convert! Although the retard side of my can just took a dump, it's still one of those things that I kick myself for not doing earlier.

Pics!!!
You have my express permission to quit kicking yourself. There's driving to be done.
Colin
(still kicking myself for not investing in Microsoft in 1987)
Or Apple when it was $5 a share in 96!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:06 pm

I still need to take the time and post some pics but thought I'd follow up after our trip.
After our visit at the Maupin Rendezvous I dropped my wife off at home and turned around and took the kids on a 1300 mile, 8 day camping trip with a windsurfing contest thrown into it.
We headed south on 97 toward Bend. We stopped at Smith Rocks and camped at La Pine state part, a nice spot to camp and hike around. The next morning we went to Crater Lake and then to Umpqua Hot springs and then camped at some campground for a quick overnighter in the rain. After that we went out to the coast and headed south to Gold Beach, OR. From there we stay about 4 days to do the windsurfing event and kids had a blast playing on the beach. Took two days to drive home heading north on 101 until Newport and then headed inland towards home.
The bus ran flawless through the whole trip. I didn't have to feather the gas, didn't have to keep a certain speed up when entering parking lots and campgrounds, smooth idling over speed bumps etc. It was amazing. I didn't want to come back, I just wanted to keep on driving.
Still reeling over the all the info from you. The delivery was excellent. I sure am hoping I can set up another day with you next time you're out this way. You are providing an incredible service for us VW owners! Thanks Colin.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:12 pm

:cheers: =D>
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:09 am

71whitewesty wrote: A) I still need to take the time and post some pics but thought I'd follow up after our trip.

B) After our visit at the Maupin Rendezvous I dropped my wife off at home and turned around and took the kids on a 1300 mile, 8 day camping trip with a windsurfing contest thrown into it.

C) I didn't want to come back, I just wanted to keep on driving.
A) Me too on the time and pics . . .

B) Wow, excellent job at giving your kids lifetime memories!

C) Me too . . . :alien: