Looking for some tires.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Looking for some tires.

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon May 09, 2011 3:26 pm

I have had pretty good luck by searching over at

www.tires-easy.com

and calling around to the local stores to see if they can meet, beat, or come close to the best the online price plus the shipping costs. I like to buy locally when I can. They can usually get pretty close.

I don't like going much taller for a tire (in my 79 bus with the Camper Special engine) or you will notice the increasing CHT as you drive. About 195R14 is the most I personally would consider myself.

As always though, it is your bus and your money.
79 VW Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 pm

airkooledchris wrote: the 4WD guys say they are great on the highway, good in sand and trail/rocky conditions, OK in deep snow and not very good if your main goal is mud.
Since even the rain boos me indoors these days, mud performance is not critical, but decent sand/trail rocky is definitely what I am looking for. The Hankooks never looked up to it based on tread/sipe patterns.

What is the heat and wet performance rating, A, B, or C? I like 75 mph in 120* heat. :cherry:
airkooledchris wrote: the one catch is they are a bit stiff and have a little bit of that high speed highway hummmmm if your listening for it (when inflated closer to it's max PSI of 50 PSI).
I would not run them anywhere near max. Inflation numbers are for the weight of your particular vehicle. If on a loaded Isuzu box truck, sure, 50. But a light Volkswagen bus at 3,300 lbs, I will run the fronts at 33-35 and the rears at 40-44 tops. Note that a fully loaded VW bus at 4,976 GVWR, the factory still calls for modest tire pressures. They want the car to slide before tipping, don't second-guess them.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 pm

Amskeptic wrote: What is the heat and wet performance rating, A, B, or C? I like 75 mph in 120* heat. :cherry:
The wet performance im very familiar with and one of the few things I did check for reviews on before purchasing them.
It rains here, on average, around 123 days out of the year. They are good in the wet.

As for heat, I couldn't say. The record high here was 87* back in 1993 and I never traveled very far on them out of town (to warm places) to know how they would perform personally

I didn't see anything in the reviews ive read about heat performance either, unless there is an official rating available from the manufacturer.
Oddly enough most of the reviews online are from Australian's running them on Toyota Prado's and Nissan Patrol's - both of which look like 4 runners.
1979 California Transporter

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue May 22, 2012 1:05 pm

I, also, am looking for some tires and decided to bring this thread (only halfway down the page) back to life rather than starting a new one.

I've got certified antiques on there right now and am getting uncomfortable with how old they are. I'm even more uncomfortable with the state of my wallet in these time in which we live so I'm looking for a safe bargain.

I've got these on the front right now, I understand they are fairly inexpensive and seem to hit the mid spot regarding possible forest road performance (not useless in the mud?). Anybody tried them? Any other cost conscious suggestions not already above?

Model: Jupiter / SV-820
Size: 185R14
Load Index: 102
Load Range: D
Max Load: 1875 lbs
Max Infl@ion Pressure: 65 psi
Tire Weight:
Diameter:
Revs/per Mile:
Fits in Stock Clamshell: Yes
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 23, 2012 6:51 am

Kubelwagen wrote:I, also, am looking for some tires and decided to bring this thread (only halfway down the page) back to life rather than starting a new one.

I've got certified antiques on there right now and am getting uncomfortable with how old they are. I'm even more uncomfortable with the state of my wallet in these time in which we live so I'm looking for a safe bargain.

I've got these on the front right now, I understand they are fairly inexpensive and seem to hit the mid spot regarding possible forest road performance (not useless in the mud?). Anybody tried them? Any other cost conscious suggestions not already above?

Model: Jupiter / SV-820
Size: 185R14
Load Index: 102
Load Range: D
Max Load: 1875 lbs
Max Infl@ion Pressure: 65 psi
Tire Weight:
Diameter:
Revs/per Mile:
Fits in Stock Clamshell: Yes
These Jupiter SV820s were on Chloe when I left Portland. They may have been decent tires, but since *everything* was screwed up on the car, the tires were too, due to grossly incorrect wheel alignment. I did find that the tread wear was rapid, and maintaining a semblance of roundness was too challenging a request for them. I have always trusted Michelins to remain round throughout the tire's expected life, but Michelin has left our tire size in the dustbin of history.

Currently running the very same Airkooledchris Maxxis 751 -27X8.50R14LT tires photographed above, blackwall side out, on Chloe, I will report on their behavior through the 2012 itinerary.
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I still like my BFG's. They're about $18 higher then when I bought them from this outfit, but the shipping hasn't gone up.

http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_tire ... =8939&t=GS
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:33 pm

tristessa wrote:I still like my BFG's. They're about $18 higher then when I bought them from this outfit, but the shipping hasn't gone up.

I love the looks of that tire on a Bus. Beefy. How many miles do you have on them now? Any premature wear?

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Wed May 23, 2012 5:53 pm

So I'm not to clever when it comes to tires (cue cheap joke). Will the 195 vs. 185 make any real difference?

Mike

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed May 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Not sure how many miles I've got on 'em, haven't been keeping track .. maybe 15-18K? Wear is nice and even, but I've got a matching spare and have already rotated them once in the five-tire pattern.

Mike, it's .. complicated. 195s are 10MM wider on the tread than 185s, but if the aspect ratio is the same (ie: both are /75R14) the 195 is going to be taller. Default/unspecified aspect ratio is assumed to be ~80% of the section (tread) width, which means the stock size if fully spelled out would be 185/80R14 .. which is slightly taller than an LT195/75R14. 25.65" vs 25.51" overall height.

Play around with this, it's kinda edukashunl if you pay attention: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 pm

tristessa wrote:I still like my BFG's. They're about $18 higher then when I bought them from this outfit, but the shipping hasn't gone up.

Tristessa,

thanks for the tip. I just ordered a set of 4 to be delivered to a local tire shop. I've been in need of tires, and didn't want to spring for 15/16 in wheels yet. I like the looks of the BF All Terrain, but hadn't found it in that size anywhere else.

Tip O' the hat to you,

edit: Got an email back from TireCrawler canceling my sale ~ see post below for details.

ML

Michael L

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 am

Bummer - was about to order them too. Seems our options are decreasing for stock sizes.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu May 24, 2012 11:06 am

Have u tried tire rack? They list them as well.
1979 California Transporter

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu May 24, 2012 1:49 pm

I'll amend my post in a second; they DO have them. Apparently TireCrawler doesn't stock them, and would have to have the tires drop shipped @ $65 rather than free shipping. I can get them through America's Tire @ $139 p/tire, on a special order.

So you CAN get them; they're not cheap, and you won't be buying off the rack.

FWIW, with tax and drop ship fee, TireCrawler comes out to $148 before install. America's tire is about $150. Sheesh.

Best,

Michael L

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Yikes. All Save Tire, or something like that down at around 50th and Powell has the Hankook's for I think it was around $125. I'd rather get something that has more grip though, if I can find them.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu May 24, 2012 5:59 pm

I gave up trying to mess around with this. I ordered these:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1 ... kages.html

Next time I can get another tire if I don't like the Nokians, and I won't have to mess around with trying to find a tire that I like in a 14" size.

Michael L