2011 Results Just In

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Re: 2011 Results Just In

Post by nathan@el » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Personally, I would gladly and unquestionably have Colin "borrow" my bus (Vanagon) for 20,000 miles or so. In fact, I would be honored to do so. I know it would come back better than it left, and it would have some great stories to tell too.
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 am

Hey Colin - I would give you Tripod in a heartbeat.... if it didn't have a helicoil in one head, and a broken stud boss in the other...or I would have to provide a set of new heads and the $1k...hmmm. But the real question is, would you mind driving a Westy? I know you have a penchant for transporters.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:20 am

Not to rain on the parade, especially in these dreary days of our economic winter, but doesn't this fly in the face of what Colin has been teaching from the beginning? YOU are the best mechanic for your ACVW. This is by no means suggesting that Colin isn't qualified, but giving it to him to fix everything and bring it back when it's done robs the owner of teaching him or herself how to do it themselves. Not only knowledge lost, but the even more intangible of the soul enrichment called personal pride in doing something that at first seemed completely beyond your personal abilities. Gotta tell ya, it's a pretty good feeling when you fix something. It can be anything from a poorly running engine to a squeaky door hinge. You still stand back and know your car is just a little better than it was yesterday.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 am

I am in for the 20k 'pimp my bus' deal. That means that I get to hold onto the BobD, the Duck, or the square right? :scratch: uhhh... Think I'll take the duck! :-"
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:29 am

dtrumbo wrote:Not to rain on the parade, especially in these dreary days of our economic winter, but doesn't this fly in the face of what Colin has been teaching from the beginning? YOU are the best mechanic for your ACVW. This is by no means suggesting that Colin isn't qualified, but giving it to him to fix everything and bring it back when it's done robs the owner of teaching him or herself how to do it themselves. Not only knowledge lost, but the even more intangible of the soul enrichment called personal pride in doing something that at first seemed completely beyond your personal abilities. Gotta tell ya, it's a pretty good feeling when you fix something. It can be anything from a poorly running engine to a squeaky door hinge. You still stand back and know your car is just a little better than it was yesterday.
Exactamente.

I now fear no transaxle swap. Piece of cake, actually, probably simpler than detailing the trim to arrest rust.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:13 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:Not to rain on the parade, especially in these dreary days of our economic winter, but doesn't this fly in the face of what Colin has been teaching from the beginning? YOU are the best mechanic for your ACVW. This is by no means suggesting that Colin isn't qualified, but giving it to him to fix everything and bring it back when it's done robs the owner of teaching him or herself how to do it themselves. Not only knowledge lost, but the even more intangible of the soul enrichment called personal pride in doing something that at first seemed completely beyond your personal abilities. Gotta tell ya, it's a pretty good feeling when you fix something. It can be anything from a poorly running engine to a squeaky door hinge. You still stand back and know your car is just a little better than it was yesterday.
Exactamente.

I now fear no transaxle swap. Piece of cake, actually, probably simpler than detailing the trim to arrest rust.

neal
Agreed... but there are a couple of things to be considered:
- from the customer point of view, there's the whole time value of money thang. I personally love futzing with the bus and getting it dialed in. Of all the vehicles I've owned, the bus is by far the most responsive to regular maintenance, tuning and tweaks. However, it would take me forever to get my bus anywhere near Colin nice. Even after a whole season with Dr Itinerant, there would still be plenty left for me to do.

- from a Colin being able to continue to offer this service without having to charge an exorbitant amount of money to cove wear and tear and depreciation on his vehicles, I think this is a very elegant, win-win solution.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Valid points Troll. Valid points.

I've had well over a decade, and have yet to start accenting the holes in the little bit of headliner that there is in Bertha Bus.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.