Grinding To A Halt

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Grinding To A Halt

Post by hambone » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:39 am

Colin, the ones I'm running on my heads I ordered off Samba. My spare heads have the tins though. I could ship them to you, but you'd have to get me another set some time in the convenient future.
I'll bet they could be easily fabricated with tin snips. Gonna have to try.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. What the hell is going on with that engine!?!?!! It was too babied and not broken in right, with the reuse of marginal components.

Halsey has their "floor model" Brazil type1 case for sale, $500. Winter is a good time for an engine build.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Not these tins?

Other than the hoover bit and the thermostat assemblies, I'm unaware of any other frequently left off bits.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Nope, these:
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Hmmm, nope, have never seen or run those.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:12 pm

There does seem to be one on the one/two side of Gretchen's old engine, but none on the other side. Can you get those in place with the heads torqued and the pushrod tubes in place?

criminy,
neal

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Yes My engine has those bits and I see where they serve a critical purpose, to not let the air just flow down between the 2 cylinders, and NOT go thru the fins.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
thesamwise4 wrote:Sorry, I know this is off topic, but--
As mentioned in the book manuscript ......"every little piece has its purpose"
is a copy of that manuscript available for sale?
I have to finish the book. I have to finish the book. I have to finish the book.
Before I lose my ability to draw, or sit still, or hell, think straight.
It needs to be offered as a hardcover book (or an e-book but the illustrations will require very good resolution). This winter, I shall sit at the drawing board ........... and if it gets going, good! but if it doesn't, I must retire the notion.
Colin
I told you how to do this. Stop lollygagging.

Michael L

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:30 pm

I pulled the one deflector tin I have off of Gretchen's engine. Like I typed earlier, never seen these before.

Bertha's recently demised engine didn't have them, but I never had an issue with the valves dropping, unless they just did that last day. Haven't torn it apart yet. Maybe I could have gotten many more miles out of it.

I'm not suggesting that not having them in place isn't a worry, since I understand the principle behind them, so, wielding some snips, gave a stab at trimming up a set from rain gutter metal. A little thicker, but the thinner aluminum printing plate seemed too flimsy.

My assumption is that the slot for the thermostat rod wouldn't be needed on the 3/4 side.

I think I can back off my heat exchangers and get them into position.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Drove to Austin VeeDub here in Austin Texas and picked up some 2ferFiveDollar used cylinder head deflectors.
Not 100 yards down the road, I am painting them:

Installed them too. Not terribly difficult, but a little fiddly (double check the t-stat rod for no interference!! Unbolt from case and run up and down as you locate the right deflector so as to make no scraping noise)
Left:

Right:

Hit 1-35 into the headwind bam! 430* shows up as quickly as before. These things do not "help cool". They help prevent cracking and warping and uneven heating.

James Dwan has offered to host my emergency 48 hour engine teardown with either new Israeli exhaust valves in the current heads if the seats are OK or I'll put them in the used cylinder heads from the Yuma AZ car show. Thanks James.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Hippie wrote:I got some you can have, if you let me know where to ship them.
Gimme a call.
Two hours and seven minutes before your reply, I posted that I bought some 2ferFiveDollar deflectors from AustinVeeDub in Austin Texas and painted them (pictured) and installed them (pictured) and discovered that they did not help overall temperatures in the slightest. Are my posts all delayed or something, I checked the forum timestamp versus my own user profile timestamp?

I will therefore not be needing any additional deflectors (thanx), but I might be needing an engine if this thing doesn't get me to Dallas. It is beginning to run a bit rough at idle .... :pale:

ColinHaven'tKilledAVWEngine ...Yet

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:04 am

Amskeptic wrote:I have to finish the book. This winter, I shall sit at the drawing board and if it gets going, good! but if it doesn't, I must retire the notion.
I'm going to pretend I didn't read that.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 am

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I have to finish the book. This winter, I shall sit at the drawing board and if it gets going, good! but if it doesn't, I must retire the notion.
I'm going to pretend I didn't read that.
I am going to pretend that I did not readjust my valves this MORNING and pretend that I did not find #3 TIGHT after TWO days of driving. This thing is done. It is done.

I have a vent window restoration going on, so the Universe decided to bring a large storm system over to test my hill-billy hacktabulous ingenuity:

Had to remove the tailpipe to install the LM-1 tester (hey Airkooledchris! No more Error 6, it was my harness extension wiring!)

Found a 11.7:1 fuel ratio under full throttle ...... (?)
We are now out of variables. I have compression/fuel/timing under control. This overheating has to be a mechanical issue > fan/fan housing/bent flap?
I have 250 miles to go (to get to Dallas). I am praying for the exhaust valves.
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Im happy to hear no additional sensor was required and it was just a wiring issue for the LM-1.

Fingers crossed you make it that last leg and don't suffer any larger failures along the Road To Recovery.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 am

airkooledchris wrote:Im happy to hear no additional sensor was required and it was just a wiring issue for the LM-1.

Fingers crossed you make it that last leg and don't suffer any larger failures along the Road To Recovery.
I went to Discount Tire because the Jupiters are trash. They don't know nuthin' about good off-road driving. Plus the camber issue in the front had really killed them long ago. So, I found a Discount Tire here outside Dallas, "you got the wide five adapter for old Volkswagens?" The computer terminal associate went blank. Found a supervisor type. "No." Was referred to another Discount Tire that "should" have one. Got there.
"You may touch my car under the following three conditions:
1) dismount does not take the paint off the wheels.
2) I show the professional tire changer the correct jacking points
3) the wheels shall be torqued to 90 ft/lbs in the correct pattern
Is there a problem with these requests?"
"No sir. That will be $80.00 + tax + disposal fee."
"I AM supplying the tires ...."
"Yeah, we charge $20.00 per tire to mount and balance."
"With those new cheap chinese valve stems that fail?"
"Oh yeah no sure we don't use them any more not now."

While I waited in line, I left. You know why, airkooledchris? Because when I took your tires out and placed them next to the TBRRD, they were waay waay too much tire!
This "rebuilt" steering box (grey paint and a seal) would drop dead with those big old things. I will put them on the BobD, and get some tidy little Hankooks for this car.

Yesterday, I had done the One-Step rust-catalyzing primer on the middle vent window frame at a country road driveway. Man, that was embarrassing. Visitors:

Those poor cows were so hopeful that I was a hay/water truck, I was just apologizing. Look at how desperately skinny they are:

Twenty minutes ago, I did finally get a topcoat of satin black engine enamel on the middle left vent wing window frame, here at Starbucks:

Off to AutoZone to get valve spring compressor and valve grinding paste!
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Hankooks are slippery in the woods. Well, at least where there's moisture.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat