TBRRD Slowtails To Atlanta ...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: TBRRD Slowtails To Atlanta ...

Post by SlowLane » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Bartoli wrote:I have pretty much the identical setup, single port heads, doghouse cooling system, stock single vacuum distributor, stock muffle, and a Brosol H30/31 carb on a 1600cc engine. I also have dished pistons that lower my compression ratio a bit.
As the one who raised the spector of doghouse shroud with single port tins, it's good to hear that people have been running this combination for long spells without issue. I have no expectation that it is a problem, but I only brought it up to Colin as a possibility because:
1) It's an observable delta from the stock setup on his engine, and therefore something to be considered.
2) Both Bob Hoover and Jake Raby spent inordinate amounts of time and effort to suss out the stock cooling system with different sorts of instrumentation. Both were greatly surprised at what they learned, as the results flew in the face of their respective intuitions. Something that can surprise both those guys is something to think twice about.
Bartoli wrote: I don't have any gauges; I did have a Berg temperature dipstick at one time. I never did see it light. When the ambient temperature is in the 60s and 70s, the dipstick stays cool to the touch all the time. 80s, pretty hot, you could pull it out, but don't hold it for long. 90s, you can't really even hold it in your hand.

It's been fairly well-established that CHT and oil temperatures are independent of one another. CHT varies rapidly with load. Oil temperature varies more slowly and is more affected by ambient temperature.

Personally, I really don't like the ring-under-the-spark-plug sensor. In the first place, the ring used is usually a broached-out electrical stud-mount connector. It is a pathetic replacement for the spark plug gasket, which is a carefully engineered integral component of the spark plug itself. Add in the fact that the same ring connector is likely to be retained with each spark plug change, and you're just asking for combustion leaks.
In the second place, I'm of the opinion that the ring-under-the-spark-plug sensor is simply reporting the temperature of the spark plug, more than the head itself.
Bartoli wrote:I've also noticed the distributor body gets very hot on warm/hot days.
Have you read this?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 pm

I have a berg dipstick and a DD CHT....the dipstick goes off all the time when I spend over 10 minutes at highway speed, it strictly responds to rpm, Now the CHT strictly depends on load. I can run 65 MPH at 350 to 390 degrees CHT dpending on outside temp and weather and grade. My bus gets 21 mpg consistantly on the hiway too. On a steep hill I will hit 400 and my CHT is set to flash at this temp.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:10 am

Jumping off track here... Are still in Texas Colin? The wife and I just got to Austin last night and will be here thru Sunday. She's conferencing and I am exploring. Let me know if by some off chance you make it to Austin...
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:04 am

Bartoli wrote:I have pretty much the identical setup, single port heads, doghouse cooling system, stock single vacuum distributor, stock muffle, and a Brosol H30/31 carb on a 1600cc engine. I also have dished pistons that lower my compression ratio a bit.

I don't have any gauges; I did have a Berg temperature dipstick at one time. I never did see it light. When the ambient temperature is in the 60s and 70s, the dipstick stays cool to the touch all the time. 80s, pretty hot, you could pull it out, but don't hold it for long. 90s, you can't really even hold it in your hand. I've also noticed the distributor body gets very hot on warm/hot days.

I also drag around all the Westfalia weight as compared to you.

You've driven my Bus... how do the engines compare?
Lawdy lawdy Joe, you test my last three brain cells. I can't recall enough to compare. I remember driving your red bus down that country road rectangle all focused on steering caster. I would venture that our buses are comparable to Hambone's, they all move off smartly with that low gearing and get winded in the hills. Remember that Westfalia equipment weighes just 200 lbs. My tools and tires weigh that.
Colin
(generator lamp came on last night .... apparently when I left the oil cap off for a lousy two miles, the oil splatter got in the generator and messed up the lower brush and now the commutator is oily spark pitted. I noticed this last night, a remarkable sight. The light was so bright on the pedestal from inside the generator, that I thought it was a neon street lamp shining in there (hey .... there aren't streetlamps here), man that was spooky. As soon as it warms up some more, I am taking the brushes out and sanding/cleaning the generator back to work)

[p.s. they are playing Christmas music here at McDonalds, extra terrible Christmas music, some twirpy chirpy "sassy" (idiot) trying to imitate Marilyn Monroe coquettishness about "...but the fire is so delightful" and now a stupid tootle horn folding itself all over a dumb "Frosty The Snowman", I am vomiting all over my sweatshirt as I claw out my eyeballs screaming "just kill me, please just kill me"]
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:32 am

Colin, why was the oil cap off? are you burning it?

It is odd for one that pays such attention to detail to leave caps off, it was the gas one on the RW was it not? and about that music, you told me you were using earphones in those places to cut out the noize. Did you leave them some
where?

Ive been told not to drive till after MRI in Dec.Im pissed also but
daughter is in good hands and in 5th day of testing. Nothing I can do at hospital so will wait for better weather and will focus on painting the wheels and putting on the new hubcaps 8)
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:38 pm

[p.s. they are playing Christmas music here at McDonalds, extra terrible Christmas music, some twirpy chirpy "sassy" (idiot) trying to imitate Marilyn Monroe coquettishness about "...but the fire is so delightful" and now a stupid tootle horn folding itself all over a dumb "Frosty The Snowman", I am vomiting all over my sweatshirt as I claw out my eyeballs screaming "just kill me, please just kill me"]
klassic
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Elwood wrote: Colin,
why was the oil cap off?
are you burning it?
It is odd for one that pays such attention to detail to leave caps off,
it was the gas one on the RW was it not?
and about that music,
you told me you were using earphones in those places to cut out the noize.
Did you leave them somewhere?
M-O-M !!!!!

A) why was the oil cap off?

I left it sitting in the left battery tray after I added some oil.

B) are you burning it?

I put it back on.

C) It is odd for one that pays such attention to detail to leave caps off,

See Below:

D) it was the gas one on the RW was it not?

I left the gas cap off the Road Warrior in West Virginia in 2005 (drove 110 miles back from Ohio to get it), the gas cap again in Gila Bend AZ in 2006 (drove back 67 miles from Casa Grande to get it), the gas cap on the BobD in 2009 (drove 36 miles back to get it), SEE?
Even back in my prime, I was losing caps all over this country ... actually, if you look at the mileage, I am getting sharper, by golly.

E) and about that music,

Everybody listens to it .....

F) you told me you were using earphones in those places to cut out the noize.

I AM! I am USING THEM RIGHT NOW and the Starbucks "jazz" is ripping right through they play their music too loud.

G) Did you leave them somewhere?

No no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ...
who are those men with white coats? Why is there an ambulance in the parking lot? I've been screaming?
I'm sorry, I had my headphones on.
:cyclopsani:

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:23 am

:clock: :sunny:

Ha Ha ~~~ If it ain't one thing it's your Mother!!!

You hardly ever call :pirate:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:11 am

Elwood wrote:
If my mother ever said that, I'd pass out cold from sheer gratitude.

Speaking of cold, Dallas has dropped 23* to herald my arrival.
Colin :shaking:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Elwood wrote:
If my mother ever said that, I'd pass out cold from sheer gratitude.

Speaking of cold, Dallas has dropped 23* to herald my arrival.
Colin :shaking:
In Atlanta we are at 70F and been there all week. Until you get here.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:However, a bad machinist will blame the engineering when his valve seats fall out, or he will blame the owner on whose watch the seats fell out.
I'll blame both the machinist and the owner. :flower:

Colin :geek:
:bom: