About That Adventure Thing.....

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Re: About That Adventure Thing.....

Post by Elwood » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:13 am

Colin---how were the valves? did they close up any? and where are you getting the steering box? did Jim @ Interstate Elsinore have those $250.00 ones I was told about? pls take lots of picts of that task.

Sure been in So Cal awhile, if your around after the 1st, I will meet up and buy you a pack of smokes and a meal and see if you've added any "Patina" to that bus.

FYI for those that asked, I want a new avatar, proud of the Colin drawing one now, but do not want it to be my IAC epitaph. No destination for trip planned so don,t know about Atlanta Sly, could be if I get past the Mississippi like I want???
I just need to cruise at a pace that lets me stay a spell if it feels good and fun tickets hold out.
I will be taking my "HiloHattie" shirt, it was a gift and I like to ware it when I know my picture will be posted. Feels better after 30# lose. I pretend alot and with Colin here a couple of days, I wanted to make it a vacation attitude 8)
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:10 am

430 uphill yet it cools dramatically quickly when you coast down.
I'm not sure of actual temps, but this style of "heating/cooling" is typical for climbing grades with a type1 engine. 35-40 mph climbing seems to be a nice sweet spot.
Chances are the engine is still breaking in. I don't think it even has 10,000 miles on it yet.
I'd say the carb is still suspect, unless you've rebuilt it already. When I drove it, it was lacking power in a carb-sorta-way. Jets? I've never had to fool with jets, consider myself lucky? Always have been able to tune them in with whatever was provided.

With so much demand placed on that cute engine, exact dwell and timing are critical. You really notice when it's off. My vacuum only distributor is timed at 0 deg., a couple degrees off is no-good. Pull the #1 plug and find actual TDC.

Why I tell you this I no know. You tell me. :fart:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:09 pm

hambone wrote:My vacuum only distributor is timed at 0 deg.
Same here.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Elwood wrote:Colin---how were the valves? did they close up any?
Yes, the exhausts were all down about .002" and are all sticking out from their respective rocker arms a good two additional threads over the intakes. This makes three adjustments in the past 3,000 miles that all pointed to the same problem, too hot.

Elwood wrote: where are you getting the steering box? take lots of picts of that task.
With the exhaust valves weighing on my mind, I will take apart this steering box and hope to get it back together. Necessity ... The Mother Of Careful Work.
Elwood wrote: If your around after the 1st, I will meet up and buy you a pack of smokes and a meal and see if you've added any "Patina" to that bus.
You bet.
Elwood wrote:I want a new avatar,
Need technical help or just ideas?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:38 pm

hambone wrote:
430 uphill yet it cools dramatically quickly when you coast down.
I'm not sure of actual temps, but this style of "heating/cooling" is typical for climbing grades with a type1 engine. 35-40 mph climbing seems to be a nice sweet spot.
Chances are the engine is still breaking in. I don't think it even has 10,000 miles on it yet.
I'd say the carb is still suspect, unless you've rebuilt it already. When I drove it, it was lacking power in a carb-sorta-way. Jets? I've never had to fool with jets, consider myself lucky? Always have been able to tune them in with whatever was provided.

With so much demand placed on that cute engine, exact dwell and timing are critical. You really notice when it's off. My vacuum only distributor is timed at 0 deg., a couple degrees off is no-good. Pull the #1 plug and find actual TDC.
I have ye timing at a verifiable 0 Zero, and it advances right on up to 34* (remember it is doing both "vacuum" and "centrifugal" of later distributors).

Hambone? Do you think Mike used the 29mm fan instead of the 34mm doghouse fan?
That would be 10% less cooling right there when you need it ....
I have a noticeable gap between the fan and the housing (visible with early morning sunlight and a mirror when air cleaner is removed) even with a delectable 1.5mm gap between the fan and the generator plate.
??Colin??

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:07 am

Amskeptic wrote:With the exhaust valves weighing on my mind, I will take apart this steering box and hope to get it back together. Necessity ... The Mother Of Careful Work.
Understood and I will be paying careful attention.
Amskeptic wrote:
Elwood wrote: If your around after the 1st, I will meet up and buy you a pack of smokes and a meal and see if you've added any "Patina" to that bus.
You bet.

Good stuff, just give a call or pm.
Amskeptic wrote:
Elwood wrote:I want a new avatar,
Need technical help or just ideas?
Colin
Yes and No---I think just new horizons will give me both
:cya: but will be asking for advice for El's road readiness.
Im way out of touch about prices of parts etc. :study:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:00 am

Meanwhile, Hambone? Please do me a favor ... go to the place that sold you my muffler and tailpipe and please please please let them know that THIS is the correct tailpipe for 1968-1971 Transporters:

Part # 211251237B

As Seen On Elwood

NOT that ugly ass bent truncated gnarly putrefication that I had to rip off and chuck in the dumpster yesterday
#211251237A

I'll PM pj and enlighten him as well. He suffers truncation as well.
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:20 am

nice find. where did you finally track down the *correct* one?

it was starting to sound like "this isn't right, but it works" was going to be the same answer from all.....
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:42 am

airkooledchris wrote:nice find. where did you finally track down the *correct* one?

it was starting to sound like "this isn't right, but it works" was going to be the same answer from all.....
Wolfsburg West. IT'S RIGHT THERE IN THE CATALOGUE. If these other suppliers are not informed by us passionate nitwits, they will dispense incorrectness across the land like multiplying locusts of mediocre doom.
Colin :cyclopsani:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 am

It would appear to be even more restricted, in terms of air-flow. What is the correct application for the one you tossed?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:00 am

Colin if you are ever in/near Memphis feel free to stop by and drive my bus with dual carbs and a header you'll be amazed how much better it runs than stock.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Amskeptic wrote: ... us passionate nitwits, ...
Thank gawd it was him that said that, not me. :sunny:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:10 pm

Said aforementiond "ugly ass bent truncated gnarly putrefication" is the same tail pipe attached to my 71 bus's muffler. I suppose I should put the correct version on my WW shopping list.

I've noticed that items appear and disappear from the WW catalog with no fanfare or mention.
71 bus, 74 westy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:52 am

As Seen On Elwood

Gads how embarrasing :colors: Did not even see him take that shot but sure heard him complain about his. Looked thru one pile of parts for right one to give him but he was on the engine leak mission and did not uncover other bin of exhaust stuff. Sure happy WW still had them in stock, I bought mine in '06.

Obviously a painting with high heat product is in order before El gets buried in snow this winter. I do have the right stuff to do the job along with a looooong list of other things to do, but will never be as shiny perfect as the brown cow bus, my time is mostly been spent on keeping him running. :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:26 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Colin if you are ever in/near Memphis feel free to stop by and drive my bus with dual carbs and a header you'll be amazed how much better it runs than stock.
That thar's a deal.
I love the driveability of correctly set up stock, but .... I have an open mind.
This thing is smooth and lights up instantly in the morning, no more flat spot or anything, just heat city on the freeway.
Colin