In From Exquisite Part I (morning)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: In From Exquisite Part I (morning)

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Westy78 wrote:That's the way I came home from Busses by the Bridge X. It was a one very cold night in Lone Pine and one very unexpected snow storm just outside of Susanville. Beautiful drive though.
Looks like fun, c-c-c-c-cold fun. I spent most of my mechanical abilities on making sure that I would never have to work on any of my cars from October through May in upstate New York. Looking at your bus in the snow, imagining that it was mine with a starter that wouldn't ... I'd just roll over in my sleeping bag and wait for spring.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Looking at your bus in the snow, imagining that it was mine with a starter that wouldn't ... I'd just roll over in my sleeping bag and wait for spring.
Colin
That was my bus with a questionable alternator that I didn't know would get me home or not. It magically lasted another year after the worried R&R, tear apart and put back together all while sitting on the beach for the weekend at BBB. I didn't get to enjoy much of the show that Saturday. That was also my first attempt ever at doing that job. :cyclopsani:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Westy78 wrote:That's the way I came home from Busses by the Bridge X. It was a one very cold night in Lone Pine and one very unexpected snow storm just outside of Susanville. Beautiful drive though.

that's either a fancy shmancy inside window insulation - or some serious frost patterns.

I had a bit of that in the wee early hours last November:

that's when you wish that the optimum heater output didn't happen *after* 10 minutes of full throttle driving.
1979 California Transporter

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:31 am

Westy78 wrote:Image
What kind of campsite was this?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:52 am

airkooledchris wrote:

that's either a fancy shmancy inside window insulation - or some serious frost patterns.

that's when you wish that the optimum heater output didn't happen *after* 10 minutes of full throttle driving.
Fancy shmancy is what that is. I remember coming over a pass later that morning and looking back to see a thin layer of ice floating in the dog's water bowl. My heat wasn't working to it's full potential that day.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:56 am

Sylvester wrote:
The screw this driving in a snow storm with crappy tires, empty school parking lot kind of campsite. Just before pulling over I had the back end of the bus try to swap for the front end into oncoming traffic on a downhill only using engine braking. Still don't know how I came out of that one without hitting someone head on or the guard rail on the other side of the road.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:07 am

Westy78 wrote:
Sylvester wrote:
The screw this driving in a snow storm with crappy tires, empty school parking lot kind of campsite. Just before pulling over I had the back end of the bus try to swap for the front end into oncoming traffic on a downhill only using engine braking. Still don't know how I came out of that one without hitting someone head on or the guard rail on the other side of the road.
You luckily escape a crash and bodily harm, to come to rest at night right next to a church in the background. Divine intervention perhaps? Great picture BTW.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:57 pm

I am seriously going to re-examine retrofitting that BA6 sitting in my garage into the bay this winter. That comment about ice in the dog bowl makes my bones hurt. I haven't been that cold since leaving Minnesota in 2004.
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:15 am

Just a note from he who is so cold-blooded now that 50* is hibernation time:

When driving down hill on slippery roads, do not use your rear wheel drive car's engine as a brake. The only useful thing about an engine going downhill on a slippery road is that the engine will prevent lock-up of the rear wheels as you gently dab the brakes. So yes, you do want it in gear, but you do not want the rear wheels trying to do any work at all but tracking. I select a gear that will allow the engine to loaf along near idle and use the brakes for slowing. Without ABS, cadence braking is your best bet if you must also steer. You get to pick one of the two options available: steer or slow, but not both at the same time.
ColinInSouthernCalifornia
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles