airkooled chris 2011 round 2

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

airkooled chris 2011 round 2

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:49 pm

See, I took a picture this time. It's the only one, but it makes the post instantly more interesting.

Hi, Hello, Coffee and a bite and were on our way! We adjusted the brakes, improved the connections for the battery/starter solenoid, and eventually moved on to my largest need - AFM tuning.
The sonofabitchin' LM1 decided to crap it's open air error 06 pants, and I cursed whomever the stupid PO was of this thing. (no exchanges, returns or refunds!)

So we went with the next best thing, experience. It seemed to work better than any 'going off the numbers' system would have (for me on my own) as the engine seemed to really come alive. Ive had it close to a happy place, but with a few side effects always nagging like pig rich poor fuel economy or strange low cold idle and sudden high warm idle (that was seemingly unrelated to the AAR.)
After a few changes to the AFM's silver wiper and a tweak to the idle mixture the bus seemed to find a nice happy place of power and still retained it's cool CHT's under load.

We took a little break to check out some interesting parts on the shelf at the FLAPS during a test drive and got to enjoy our TOTALLY EXPECTED AND COMPLETELY NORMAL warm temps and clear sky. :flower:

It was a great visit and again I enjoyed my chance to be apart of this experience. I learned as much as I enjoyed tackling the tasks.

Ive had an unimaginably difficult few days after the visit (mother in law passed on the following afternoon) - and having such a rewarding positive experience immediately beforehand made it that much easier to deal with. I need the knowledge and assistance in the short time, but cherish the experience more-so in the long term. :thumbright:
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: airkooled chris 2011 round 2

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:14 am

Sorry to hear, my regards. Ups and downs.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:23 pm

My condolences Chris.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks guys. I realize it may seem strange to mention something that serious in the middle of a post like this, and I don't mean to be insensitive - it was something we were all prepared for, it just doesn't make it any easier when that time actually comes.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:11 pm

I saw the post a couple of time, wasn't sure what to write. =|

Condolences man...

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Sorry dude. Mom is always mom however old you get. Bummer.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 am

airkooledchris wrote: It was a great visit and again I enjoyed my chance to be apart of this experience. I learned as much as I enjoyed tackling the tasks.

Ive had an unimaginably difficult few days after the visit (mother in law passed on the following afternoon) - and having such a rewarding positive experience immediately beforehand made it that much easier to deal with. I need the knowledge and assistance in the short time, but cherish the experience more-so in the long term. :thumbright:
Chris, how is your wife handling the loss of her mother? Was this a complete surprise or a known condition?
ColinItWasAGoodVisit ...
(... and it took me FOREVER to traverse the same stretch of road that we test-drove with your car)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 am

She is managing as well as one could expect. Her mother had weak blood vessels in her brain (unfortunate genetics) and had suffered one minor (2 years ago) and one major (3 months ago) stroke previously to this one. We had actually booked a flight for her to go back home and visit this past Sunday as it seemed things weren't progressing as well as we hoped, but she had a third stroke last Thursday night. We tried to get her back in time to see her mom while she was still in the ICU, but they had a DNR on file and she didn't quite make it in time unfortunately.

It's one of those cliche' "she's in a better place" situations. We were fortunate to get the extra 2 years that we did after the first stroke once they realized the cause.....

------

Your probably fortunate we didn't add any MORE heavy new parts to carry back with you. The extra weight of the tires was probably bad enough on their own - the case (if you go that route) should probably fly or be picked up at a later date.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:20 am

airkooledchris wrote: It's one of those cliche' "she's in a better place" situations.
It ain't a cliche ... I just travelled a few feet below heaven. When you are above the teemingness of modern life and just look at the sky and the mountains and the life that ekes out its innumerable permutations up there, we are surrounded by and part of something friggen amazing that just keeps doing its billions of years in the making.
airkooledchris wrote: Your probably fortunate we didn't add any MORE heavy new parts to carry back with you. The extra weight of the tires was probably bad enough on their own - the case (if you go that route) should probably fly or be picked up at a later date.
Extra weight of the tires? Naw, they are merely huge annoying blobs in the way of everything. Case, could you babysit it?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:50 am

As long as you remember to park facing uphill anytime the engine compartment needs to be opened it isn't *too* bad. There's no top hatch access here anyway im guessing... (think they added those later)

I can certainly babysit the case if you decide you want to do it. Just lemme know and ill run over there. I don't foresee it moving anytime soon if that's all the promoting they are doing for it currently.

We do feel inspired to get out more often and take notice of where we are. It's easy to take this big blue ball and our surroundings for granted.
We take Dog walks at the ocean and play with kids in redwood forests as a regular day to day activity - it's easy to forget how ridiculously lucky we are to simply BE.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 am

airkooledchris wrote:As long as you remember to park facing uphill anytime the engine compartment needs to be opened it isn't *too* bad. There's no top hatch access here anyway im guessing... (think they added those later)

I can certainly babysit the case if you decide you want to do it. Just lemme know and ill run over there. I don't foresee it moving anytime soon if that's all the promoting they are doing for it currently.

We do feel inspired to get out more often and take notice of where we are. It's easy to take this big blue ball and our surroundings for granted.
We take Dog walks at the ocean and play with kids in redwood forests as a regular day to day activity - it's easy to forget how ridiculously lucky we are to simply BE.

Ain't that the truth.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.