The TBRRupturedDuck Travel Thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Re: The TBRRupturedDuck Travel Thread

Post by Elwood » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:26 am

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Colin Iam looking so forward to your adventure with the Duck. It is a 1970 right? so has the same front end as El? so many questions sure to be answered and of help to so many with early bays along with any upright engines.

A couple of tips crossed my mind, because I have gone thru 3 (three) pullys on the gen. All requiring tows to help, you might want to throw in a back up original
one Im sure would be available to you in that rich PNW area. It really sucks to break down with that part.

Also keep a cruising attitude if you take the I-5 south, I was stopped twice for going too slow at what my speedo said was 65, to be told by the Man it was 57??
Have a smooth flight and hope to see you in So Cal. I will give you update on my sitch and wheel bearing when I know more.

Love, Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Elwood wrote:.. I was stopped twice for going too slow at what my speedo said was 65, to be told by the Man it was 57??
Love, Barb
Going too slow? Rilly? 57 is too slow? Sheez. I do 50 mph often in Frito. (but not on the Interstates and not when there's anyone behind me)

50 mph = 35 mpg : )

Peter
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:44 am

Elwood wrote::bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Colin Iam looking so forward to your adventure with the Duck. It is a 1970 right? so has the same front end as El? so many questions sure to be answered and of help to so many with early bays along with any upright engines.

A couple of tips crossed my mind, because I have gone thru 3 (three) pullys on the gen. All requiring tows to help, you might want to throw in a back up original
one Im sure would be available to you in that rich PNW area. It really sucks to break down with that part.

Also keep a cruising attitude if you take the I-5 south, I was stopped twice for going too slow at what my speedo said was 65, to be told by the Man it was 57??
Have a smooth flight and hope to see you in So Cal. I will give you update on my sitch and wheel bearing when I know more.

Love, Barb
I am looking forward to it as well, with some trepidation, and a brewing bad attitude at the weather reports up there in the PNW. If I have time, I will install a new generator and use the pulley from the old one that Hambone had just put on. Slow interstate cruising is going to be the hardest adjustment yet the most important one for my travel-drunk psyche. In Texas, I practiced a nice steady 60 mph cruise, and found that oncoming traffic did not rattle me ... but I got sleepy.
If you give me sunny down there, I will gravitate towards it like a moth to a lightbulb.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 pm

I drive my type 1 bus at 65 on the 1st half of trips and and 68 when I'm inna hurry to get home. This is real GPS speed not speedo speed. The speedo reads 5 mph low.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:04 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:I drive my type 1 bus at 65 on the 1st half of trips and and 68 when I'm inna hurry to get home. This is real GPS speed not speedo speed. The speedo reads 5 mph low.
With good engine balance, right? I am happy to spin a nicely balanced engine at 4,000 rpm all day, but when it is drumming unhappily, I am in a constant state of Wince.
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:00 pm

You'll be fine. You'll be at the limits of the machine at hand, which is always relative. And within the confines of relativity, all is delight.
The weather the weather, always the weather geesh. Some stereotypes are accurate; we have to pre-juice our soggy ferns ya know. Just for guests.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:56 pm

what exactly are we balancing for piece of mind when running consistant 4k rpm's?

and are those balanced parts the same for the type1 and 4?

it really is sunny here, but you'd have to be a gambling man to count on it. weeks on end of sun (or no rain anyway) lately, but all that changed as of today. nothing but wet stuff this coming week (im assuming it's the same for anyone near the western coast of north america)
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Have a qualified machine shop balance your entire drive train as a unit. Pulley, crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, flywheel. Cheapest thing you can do to give a build longevity, more power, cooler running as per Bob Hoover.

Da rain has been rolling in starting yesterday, taunting, today, a bit heavier. I suspect the deluge will be Tuesday.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Im really looking forward to your conclusions on the unbalance issue. My old engine for Booger (baja) was ROUGH! It ran great! but it didnt feel right like something was out of balance. It seems my flywheel is the culprit but still dunno. It wobles on any surface, kitchen table,kitchen floor, concrete slab in garage.
Weather: Depends on where your at. My mountain range splits the clouds before it gets to my house so I miss alot of weather issues. This time of year mabey a Southern route??
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Today's weather:

Sunny and hot, high 80's to low 90's depending on your proximity to the Pacific. Hurry south...

Mike

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 am

Lanval wrote:Hurry south...

Mike
Oh I will, you can be sure of that ... at 62.2 mph.
Colin :compress:

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Oh I will, you can be sure of that ... at 62.2 mph.
Colin
When do you think you'll be in the Orange County area Colin? I might be able to swing a half-day with you, although I'm currently unemployed at the moment. Can we do those ball joints?
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:04 pm

I have logged 27,000 plus miles in a T1 powered Bus daily driver. Some mountains, lots of highway, few Atlanta bad traffic spots, and mostly urban driving. If I drove the BobD on a highway I would probably never get used to it. There is a way to do it, day in and out. Personally after a few type 4 owned bad karma scenarios, a friend of mine observed "I think you need to stick with the type 1 engines". I think the type 1 engine in my Bus is just my way to go. I am the 62.5, quarter moon club.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Sylvester wrote:If I drove the BobD on a highway I would probably never get used to it.
Naaah, not buying this one. You can get used to any car in a brief period of time. I have had to get used to a number of customers' cars with some unique quirks. There's this one guy's bus, holy cow, the gearshift was bent down in a crazy arc ...
The BobD quickly informs you that it is a capable car with assured brakes and acceptable punch right on up to 75-80. You want to cruise at 60, you get sleepy with boredom.

The only cars I cannot get used to are those cars whose manners are so ill-tempered that every brake application gives you a different swerve, or whose steering is so vague that you are asking what road irregularities are going to do to your line, or whose windows are so cloudy or filthy that you are straining your eyes for no good reason. In those cases, exhaustion and generalized fear can occur in busy urban traffic.
ColinType4sAreFineFriends

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Colin, Barb reporting here. Had help today jacking up and finding wheel bearings undamaged but the part that has the adjustment threaded bolt with allenhead, had come loose and had 1/8 " play that was causing wheel to wobble and make the noize. Only have driven less than 200 miles and will need to replace the worn out bolt so that it can be tightened properly.

So once again thanks for your help and advice.

Safe and fun travels to you, storm brewing on the mountain this week, snow level expected at 7 thou but Im at 5 to 6 so should be ok. Not at all ready for winter and fall up here is usually warm and beautifull so bring that new guy up for a visit if it feels right. Would give my Elwood some inspiration. I have started to do a little polishing on the old chipped paint and he loved it :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood