Interest Gauge, Step On In

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

THall
Getting Hooked!

Re: Interest Gauge, Step On In

Post by THall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote:I'm in for at least a day.

As a side note, I'd like to get my engine pulled prior to Colin's visit to figure out some stuff on my own, which I haven't done before. Is there anyone out there in the Madison, WI area or if you know someone who may be willing to give me a hand and some guidance in the removal process?

Thanks,

Tim
Verona, WI
Your governor may motivate me to get up there and pull your engine out so we can stick it against his door.

Barring that of course, we can help you right here on the forum with lots of advice from people who have been there-done that.
ColinJustStuckAnEngineIn30MinutesAgo
Thanks Colin...Don't get me started, just sticking it against his door would be too nice :angryfire: . You see, my wife is an educator and member of the Madison Teachers Union so we've spent a lot of time at the capitol this past two weeks.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:42 pm

THall wrote:I'm in for at least a day.

As a side note, I'd like to get my engine pulled prior to Colin's visit to figure out some stuff on my own, which I haven't done before. Is there anyone out there in the Madison, WI area or if you know someone who may be willing to give me a hand and some guidance in the removal process?

Thanks,

Tim
Verona, WI
Pulling an engine really isn't all that complicated...Heck I did it one Sunday afternoon in about 4 hours, and this was my first Type 4 solo pull :flower: . If you're really green, allow yourself a solid 8 hours. This will give you plenty of time second guessing yourself, rechecking your Bentley...washing off your hands so you can take a quick look on line to triple check, maybe post a question or two, etc. :compress: Key is having the appropriate jack with sufficient lift, and an extra set of hands is helpful for the 'moment of truth'. There's some folks here that can do it consistently under 2 hours.

Two more tips that apply to Type 4 engine buses:
- you don't need to remove the starter
- There is a debate as to whether it is easier with or without trans...your choice (I do it without... my theory is that there is that much less weight i have to contend with).
- you don't have to remove the bumper (only applies to Type 1 engine buses).
- you don't have to label stuff...really! Colin told me that, I thought he was off his rocker. But the electrical hook ups, the vacuum hookups, etc are all very unique and difficult to confuse. HOWEVER, I do find having stuff labeled with a big piece of masking tape makes it much easier to not over look that wee little vacuum line or electrical connection - could save a lot of time diagnosing why the engine won't start, esp for a newbie (however, Colin would say that I just deprived you of a valuable diagnostic learning experience :rabbit: )

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:10 am

I'm near Madison but don't have any TIV experience. Could possibly be an extra pair of hands and moral support though. I used to work in Verona.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

pmaggiore
I'm New!

Post by pmaggiore » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Yup, count me in. I'll remember to wear real safety glasses to avoid irrigating my eyes with gasoline (again). Plus the twins need another driving lesson from their Uncle Colin. Any chance of us getting some heat in the bus this year? :scratch:

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:44 pm

pmaggiore wrote:I'll remember to wear real safety glasses to avoid irrigating my eyes with gasoline
Ouch. The old often-overlooked-gasoline skin attack. Done that.

Treehive
I'm New!

Post by Treehive » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:50 am

I'm in for a visit when you are back in the Atlanta area Colin. I'll keep an eye on your itinerary...
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

1974 VW Westfalia (The Treehive aka the Hive)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Treehive wrote:I'm in for a visit when you are back in the Atlanta area Colin. I'll keep an eye on your itinerary...
Does that mean you are good for a possible late April?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jimjxsn
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimjxsn » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:
jimjxsn wrote:I'm in...
That's a right purty avatar that thar. How's the double-clutching 3rd gear holding up?
Colin
Double clutching is good but I still was grinding it into 3rd about 50% of the time which made me feel guilty driving it --> bad karma. June gave me a new (rebuilt) transmission for valentines day. I've only driven it to Blazer's and home since the install. Here in Colorado, there has been too much chemical on the roads to take the bus out of the garage when there is any moisture. Waiting for some warmth so I can clean and paint the flapper things and put the accordion things back on. Still too cold to lay on the ground...

Have you thought about your route yet? Will you start from Arizona or are you going elsewhere before you start the itinerary? Just wondering if Colorado will be at the front end or tail end of your 2011 travels.
'76 sunroof bus

pmaggiore
I'm New!

Post by pmaggiore » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 am

Water, munchies, its all good. I won't be making that "there's back pressure from the fuel pump" mistake again, eh? I am all about teaching the twins to double clutch. Yellowbird 2 still running great courtesy of your 9pm diagnosis of a faulty temperature sensor. Having some ignition issues also so I'll put that on the list. We always seem to make it a full day (and evening) and the piano is probably up for being tuned....we can jam with my christmas present (twins and my daughter got me a Fender Strat!!) and discuss local politics till the cows come home......

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:17 am

jimjxsn wrote:
June gave me a new (rebuilt) transmission for valentines day.

Have you thought about your route yet?
June is a keeper.

Have not yet got the lay of the land. We all are thinking about my route right here.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Depending on timing we could use a day... I'll be watching your tentative route/schedule...
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 pm

sped372 wrote:Depending on timing we could use a day... I'll be watching your tentative route/schedule...
Depending on commitment, you can actually bend the route/schedule.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
sped372 wrote:Depending on timing we could use a day... I'll be watching your tentative route/schedule...
Colin
I'll go with "tentatively committed" then. Whenabouts might you be working a schedule? We're starting to book other dates for the summer and would need to plan ahead to leave room for a visit.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:41 pm

sped372 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
I'll go with "tentatively committed" then. Whenabouts might you be working a schedule? We're starting to book other dates for the summer and would need to plan ahead to leave room for a visit.
If I go counter-clockwise, it would be early June AGAIN so I can get to Maupin in time AGAIN. If I blow it all up and take the entire month of June to liquidate my other upstate New York assets including the Squareback and the Mercedes, then it would be July. Then I would have to twist everybody's arms to remind them that maintenance and repairs is good any time of the season Actually.
Colin :cyclopsani:

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:09 am

Amskeptic wrote:...Then I would have to twist everybody's arms to remind them that maintenance and repairs is good any time of the season Actually.
Colin :cyclopsani:
Depending on the area and the season, good for the bus. Not so good for the mechanics. Freezing drizzle or cold rain and wind anyone?