UPDATE -Stranded folks in Portland, OR -RIPPED OFF BY.......

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jmiller
I'm New!

UPDATE -Stranded folks in Portland, OR -RIPPED OFF BY.......

Post by jmiller » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi Kids;
------------------------------UPDATE------------------------------------------
ALL'S WELL WITH THESE FOLKS...NEW ENGINE AND ON THEIR WAY,
BUT THEY GOT RIPPED OFF HERE IN PORTLAND...SCROLL DOWN A FEW ENTRIES FOR THE DIRT ON THE DIRT-BAG

If you were at the Lucky Lab last night you heard the story of some folks whose bus blew a motor here in Portland a couple days ago. They are on a long distance road trip, and very stranded right now.

Well Jason e-mailed me this AM, and thought he had it fixed, but once assembled, it was more problems...so now...

they are in dire need of a 1600 Dual Port motor
if you can help then out, please e-mail Jason @ jason.rehm@gmail.com
or my self.

Lets see if we can't help these folks get back on their road trip...
You can also view their blog, regarding their trip at...
http://www.bodeswell.org/

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:23 pm

Well, an eBay buyer of mine told me that his dad was an old ACVW mechanic and had a bunch of rebuilt engines at his home and wanted to sell them off.

deleted..wrong area.....opps.
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:32 pm

werksberg wrote:I'm not 100% for sure in OR he is ....
Try New Mexico. :drunken:

I'd love to help those folks out, but in terms of useable 1600DP parts .. I've got nothin'.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Well, I guess I screwed up as the kid's location was in OR and I assume his dad was too the way he was talking..... :drunken:

Out in too much sun in Elsinore today...red face blushing..... :cherry:
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:40 pm

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/1377322496.html

just saw the listing, passing it on.

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Probably can't do much - but it looks like they are on quite the adventure! If they need a place to park in the NE I could at least give them space and hook-ups. Dry place to work on stuff.

Michael
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:20 pm

Did someone from here meet with the Bodeswell folks at the Lab last night? One of them sent me an email saying they were meeting with some folk at the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne last eve.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

jmiller
I'm New!

Well they are on the road....finally....

Post by jmiller » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:33 pm

':cheers:'Well, the bodeswell folks, Jason, Angela, and Bode), finally got on the road today, at least I hope they got on the road! What an f-ing hassle.

I saw them off this AM, and here's their story...

They met up with somebody over in the Gresham area who was going to re-build their engine. They went back to p/u the thing, and..what the guy had was a bug motor, obviously not their engine...and a crappy rebuild to boot. The flake refused to give them back their original motor, saying that he couldn't "find it", "maybe it was at the other shop". Jason smelled a scam, and said that he wasn't taking the re-build, and wasn't paying, and just wanted his old motor back...no dice! Can ya believe it! So as he said, "No engine, but he didn't lose any money either! The only thing lost was a couple of days, and a dead motor."

So, as he says, he went over to Always-V- Dub, talked to Ashley, and ended up buying a NEW German longblock (with a dual carb upgrade!), as he said, probably what he should have done in the first place before leaving Calif.
So new motor installed, and running like a champ, they headed out to the coast Sat. afternoon.
They got as far as the top of the Sylvan hill, and the lights started to dim, and yep, the alternator crapped out!
So stranded once again, they found a motel, and spent the night.
Jason called me Sunday AM, and we decided there wasn't much to do about it on a Sunday, so they just stayed in the motel, walked around and mostly hung out.
This AM went out and got a NEW Bosch alternator...He got it installed, and they were finally on their way!

As Jason said this AM, there isn't much left to break down in the engine compartment, so hopefully this will be their last problemo for at least a while.

I'll be meeting up with them tomorrow in Tillamook, and hanging out for a couple of days on the coast, and then they'll be back in PDX for the 500 mi. check out.
Maybe on their return, we can get them over to the Lab for a little while, and swap horror stories.

Great folks...good Karma, bad luck!

All in all though, they said that they met, (with one exception), great, helpful people in Portland, and enjoyed their, slightly extended, visit...as much as they could, under the circumstances, I suppose.

If you haven't seen their blog...do check it out @ bodeswell.org
:cheers:

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:52 pm

It'd be good to know who the shyster is in Gresham.

Sounds like the sort of thing Bigfoot would pull, but I haven't seen much out of him lately in the way of craigslist & samba ads so who knows if he's still in "business"...

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Well they are on the road....finally....

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:56 pm

jmiller wrote:They met up with somebody over in the Gresham area who was going to re-build their engine. They went back to p/u the thing, and..what the guy had was a bug motor, obviously not their engine...and a crappy rebuild to boot. The flake refused to give them back their original motor, saying that he couldn't "find it", "maybe it was at the other shop". Jason smelled a scam, and said that he wasn't taking the re-build, and wasn't paying, and just wanted his old motor back...no dice! Can ya believe it! So as he said, "No engine, but he didn't lose any money either! The only thing lost was a couple of days, and a dead motor."
Is this the same folks, the woman with wild red hair, that are mentioned in their blog? Do tell who the offenders are, they need to be exposed for the jackasses they are.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

jmiller
I'm New!

Unknown rip-off artist....

Post by jmiller » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm not sure who the culprit was...though it was somebody they found through CL, and Jason did say he has advertised on Samba.
I'll try to find out more when I see them. Most certainly a major D-bag though.
It was definitely not the Redhead that they stayed with...It sounds like she was a saint, who put them up for a week at her place, and helped do some of the wrenching on the Bus, and much more!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:01 pm

That is a crazy story...
Well safe travels to them. Shoulda never trusted a VW bus on the road, doncha know those things break down alla time? Damn hippies. At least th' Beetle-whatchacallit's got running boards...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

jmiller
I'm New!

ATTENTION-----HERE IS THE D-BAG WHO BURNED THESE NICE FOLKS

Post by jmiller » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Ok, now that Jason has publicly named the d-bag that ripped them off, I can post it here.

From his bodeswell.org blog..........
jason says:
September 26, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Alright, well I prefer to live and let live, but the cat is out of the bag now.
His shop is called.....
Promotive Automotive
5329 SE 80TH AVE # C in Portland, OR
971-222-8942
Joseph aka 'THE HAWAIIAN'

BEWARE DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS GUY!!
HE IS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF ON SAMBA AND CRAIGSLIST.

And this is a comment on Samba.com.....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... zer2+yahoo

Oh and you can follow Jason, Angela, and their boy Bode's journey from Calif to Oregon, and onto other parts as yet unknown (said to include...Mexico, Central America, and South America, and possibly on to Europe)...at http://bodeswell.org/

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Damn .. just "a bit" up 82nd from me (well .. couple of miles) and I've never heard about the pigf**ker. Seen the Oval and a bunch of parts in the shop space, figured it was just someone renting space for projects.

Legitimate projects, not Let's Rip People Off "projects"...

I know a couple of non-Bus aircooled guys who live in that part of town, wonder if they might be up for going with a few Bus people and having a nice little .. chat .. with the guy.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:38 am

Ripped off by a "business" in the USA? In 2009? Because they were stranded and vulnerable?...Especially in the old VW field?
I'm sorry to hear this happened but I would be shocked if they weren't ripped-off.