The Deanaha Visit ...

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, Jivermo

Deanaha
I'm New!

The Deanaha Visit ...

Post by Deanaha » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:00 pm

Promptly at 9AM, Colin pulled into the driveway- I did not even get a picture. But we had great discussion on world and person events during the bizarre year. Some laughs, some therapy, some tears (mine).
The last time we met, I was not sure what to ask- this time I had a list of questions- not about life but the VWs.
I neglected to ask about his belongings in Florida- hopefully he will keep us informed as to damages, etc.
Then on to a look at the 411- so glad to hear he admires her, as I do and the need to get back to the FI rather than the dual carbs. Again, he will need to share photos as I did not think that far. Just wanted to pick his brain and wisdom.
A lovely visit, now I am left with a new list of things to do and contemplate and to search for

Thanks Colin- you are welcome here anytime

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: The Deanaha Visit ...

Post by Jivermo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:16 am

Thank you, Deanah! (Have I been misspelling your name?) How great that you guys were able to connect! During these rough times, little visits from people within our air cooled community can be very meaningful, and provide a boost of joy...at least that is what my experience has been with the few visits I’ve had with Colin, and others. It’s a good reminder that there are these areas of interest in our lives that require cultivation, and fresh looks. Any break in the routine can be a call for reflection, and thought. Very happy that you guys pulled this off. The 411 sounds exciting...my next trip west, I hope to meet you.

Below: A meetup of air cooled aficionados, during more pleasant times.
DF043568-ECD8-4853-BF3D-3A6FC76FBBCD.jpeg
DF043568-ECD8-4853-BF3D-3A6FC76FBBCD.jpeg (159.38 KiB) Viewed 4203 times

Deanaha
I'm New!

Post by Deanaha » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:36 am

You got my name right- it is email that is Deanaha. Would enjoy meeting you too in person

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am

Deanah didn't know it, but she was my first stop on the Help Me Cry In My Beer Tour, and it was an excellent first stop. We didn't cry in our beer. We cried in our coffee. Good enough.

Our conversation was graceful, deep, far-ranging, illuminating, funny too, and nourishing to my soul, thank-you, Deanah!

But look!

A lovely example of a 1971 Volkswagen 411! It has the same scheme as my Mercedes, an off-yellow with brown interior, looking very complete, it has the VW DNA with their best air-cooled luxury effort evident. You can see the latest technology in getting that Type 4 fan as much air as it wants, utilizing the deck lid. Me? I still struggle for air:

Deanah is rightfully proud of her 411, and I will do what I can to help that car treat her to VW's best. I like Deanah, we need more people like Deanah.

Of course, it has been messed with, the fuel injection was torn off in favor of dual carbs that I don't think much of. Good news is that the fuel injection is in a box next to the car. We shall restore it to service. Here is the trunk. Well, it is bigger than the Type 3 it replaced. I mentioned to Deanah that the big round cylindrical objects are the coil spring towers, while the earlier cars still had torsion bars that stole room across the trunk floor:

We had to lean out the carbs pretty substantially. Uh oh, why were they so rich? Well, to hide a sick engine, of course. That beautiful little 1700 is not running on all cylinders, maybe that makes people think that the fuel injection is "bad" so they recommend carbs, ah well, too late, here we are. #2 cylinder had 45 psi compression. Dang. Drove well, well-weighted steering, a civilized interior experience, a slightly anemic acceleration, brakes felt well-modulated but disused enough to not have proper friction coefficient, interior switch gear was all balky, but I told her that a one-at-a-time lubrication strategy would ease everything back to famous Volkswagen light-and-precise.

Four doors, air-cooled! Only one, this 411/412 sedan model, baby!

We did note a noise in the back that worsened under side load, possibly a rear wheel bearing going bad. She will do a diagnosis. What a joy to drive though! I hated to leave dangling ends, but I was there to cry, not work:

Hit the road west ... into the smoke:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles