Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings Minnesota via Wisconsin

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings Minnesota via Wisconsin

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:05 pm

We left off with a wash-in, whereby one gets washed out outside and dives in inside with drying paint and dirt and dampness and cloddy tires and you go sit in a parking lot on pavement and ponder the dark grey sky while you try to organize the chaos and sweep out from under your feet and boxes and direct the dirt field to the sliding door edge where you hope it will just fall from sight. I went right back to the pasture path cul de sac and stayed on this side of the mud and passed out and woke up completely disoriented.

Drove through town to find me some Happyfolk. Here's one:

It was raining like heck when I arrived, so we waded into a spirited political/spiritual/apocalyptic discussion in the aptly named "sunroom" and by and by, the weather cleared up. It was a painful day of tedium for Happyfolk, hours of adhesive removal of the door seal channel in preparation for the new door seal. It was an equally exasperating day for me to make his driver's side window go up more smoothly. While I battled a tight felt and a dry regulator and missing sharkbite clips, Happyfolk battled the adhesive:

THall came to visit us with his beautiful Westy of much history here on the forum:

I opened up Naranja's poptop and windows to air out the poor thing:

Somewhere in there, Happyfolk and I fixed the steering column and got the turn indicator canceller to cancel. Then, I had to direct him back to the adhesive:

THall and I took his Westy on a test drive (nice power brakes! I wish I had me some!) and noted a loose tinny rattle that I have been informed has been tracked down as of today:

I was having a terrible time with that driver's side window. The felt would get pushed too deeply in the channel because the paint guys had just left out all the retaining clips, all of them. I tried a couple of shim ideas and the pressure of the window cocking sideways would dislodge the shims, and it was a mess. I took out the felt, reconfigured the corner so it wouldn't buckle closed and stop the glass, it was a mess of tedium. Meanwhile, Happyfolk had to happily keep removing adhesive:

You think seeing this photograph repeatedly is bad, think about poor Happyfolk. Tried to fix the door stays with credit card shims like I did with Naranja. Worked a charm on the driver's side, but I could not rescue the damaged wedges on the right ... they were too deeply gouged . By the end of the day, we barely got a fit of the new door seal in place, adjusted the door height barely, adjusted the latch for the proper double click, and Happyfolk and I had dinner with Mrs Happyfolk, a fine dinner too.

Woke up and decided to replace the original booster in Sparta WI in the 98% humidity and the 93* noon sun with an appeciative audience of ten billion fleas/gnats/mosquitoes, flying bugs and biting flies:

Some good cad II plating under the cosmoline!

Boosters always look like big doofus cans under the car, in the way of everything with all kinds of things stuck to them, but they look so modest out of their element:

This was tricky ... the o-ring I had cobbled for the master cylinder in December 2015 had apparently swelled up from my installation grease, and it refused to fit back into the groove of the master cylinder. So I cut the thing at a sharp diagonal and took out a half an inch:

Weatherstrip glue I thought:

Fits the groove now!

Adjusted the push rod, bled the brakes with my right hand on the brake lever while I cracked the fittings at the master cylinder and got brake fluid in my eyes because the gnats, the gnats ...

This new used booster is very soft and modulatable. The cymbal suspension air filter is more dense than the original felt ring, so it applies the boost more slowly and releases it more gently. Power brakes! Great invention for disk brake cars. Stopped by BusboyTom down the road and we visited an old Larry guy with a stash of VW parts among his street rod customs and some nostalgic old American iron from the 50s. Some interesting parts, I am sure Tom will chime in, the irrepressible BusBoyTom:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zabo
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings Minnesota via Wisconsin

Post by zabo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:54 am

interested to see how the weather stripped o ring holds up.

but you missed a whole appointment? :blackeye:
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 am

zabo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:54 am
interested to see how the weather stripped o ring holds up.

but you missed a whole appointment? :blackeye:
I missed a whole appointment, Dead1, completely. I have my excuses lined up alphabetically. They are pretty good excuses.

The o-ring may contract over time (as opposed to "expand" like it already did??-ed) but I think it is going to be fine. Maybe the car will plumb rust away before I even have to worry about it. Rain rain rain.
ClimateColinChange

Dead 1
I'm New!

Post by Dead 1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:00 am

As being the missed appointment I feel somewhat disappointed but also feel like I’m the one who will be in Colin’s memory bank as the “one who got away”. :bom: :cheers:
71 Westy 1776 :flower:

busboytom
I'm New!

Post by busboytom » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Ridin along, singing a song, side by side. Was an honor to guide Colin over the most obnoxious roads in my rural neighborhood, but we did have a few beautiful vistas of Wisconsin farm life enroute to a deep in the woods potential parts haul. Wanted to have a discerning observer to help interpret what we were looking at. Cam shafts, valves, hella originals, etc. Was fun and we didn't even make it to the trailer set back in the woods alledged to be full of usable parts....we be returning albeit without Colin. But this was a good start.

Uncontrollable BusBoyTom
Attachments
IMG_20190629_201858310.jpg
IMG_20190629_201858310.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
IMG_20190629_184918171.jpg
IMG_20190629_184918171.jpg (270.02 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
IMG_20190629_185836245.jpg
IMG_20190629_185836245.jpg (495.05 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
IMG_20190629_192550937.jpg
IMG_20190629_192550937.jpg (570.59 KiB) Viewed 10923 times
busboytom
71 Squareback
77 Westfalia
68 Westfalia
Sears Allstate trailer
Appleby popup camper

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:36 am

busboytom wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:56 pm
Ridin along, singing a song, side by side. Was an honor to guide Colin over the most obnoxious roads in my rural neighborhood, but we did have a few beautiful vistas of Wisconsin farm life enroute to a deep in the woods potential parts haul. Wanted to have a discerning observer to help interpret what we were looking at. Cam shafts, valves, hella originals, etc. Was fun and we didn't even make it to the trailer set back in the woods alledged to be full of usable parts....we be returning albeit without Colin. But this was a good start.

Uncontrollable BusBoyTom

Hey Tom,
Get in touch with grifftenstein! He is interested in some forward-looking hoarding.
Did you find out anything on those heads with the separate combustion chamber configuration?
Colin