Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 pm

Mccandmore wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm
Boy, one snarky grammar comment... :geek:

But I am curious - why does it "suck" to be near the end of the schedule?
We gots more where that came from . . .
Typically, people clamor, clamor I tell ya, for an early spring/summer appointment. When appointments occur after the summer season is drawing down, it seems like an excruciating wait, especially if their Volkswagen has a running issue. Thus, the kids, the kids these days, they say, "that SUCKS."
I say, "suck it up, learning is forever."
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 121,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 92,435 miles

User avatar
hippiewannabe
Old School!
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 pm
Mccandmore wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm
Boy, one snarky grammar comment... :geek:

But I am curious - why does it "suck" to be near the end of the schedule?
We gots more where that came from . . .
Typically, people clamor, clamor I tell ya, for an early spring/summer appointment. When appointments occur after the summer season is drawing down, it seems like an excruciating wait, especially if their Volkswagen has a running issue. Thus, the kids, the kids these days, they say, "that SUCKS."
I say, "suck it up, learning is forever."
Colin
Understandable sentiment from the warm embrace of South Floriday, in the midst of a 50 year VW experience. But when you are a newbie, and the VW season runs from mid-May to mid-September, it hurts to be told to wait through half the "year" before you are seen, then we'll see if we can get you on the road in time to have a month or two of fun.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

User avatar
hippiewannabe
Old School!
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 pm
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm
definitely a half day ... possibly a full day....depends on how far along I am with the engine rebuild. Friday - Sun preferable....so we can have an itinerant get together for Michigan peeps (or anyone else that wants to travel to the Shady Shores) but am flexible. :flower:
I hope we can do that. If it is a half day, I will need others in your area to sign up. I have committed financial atrocities with an order for three sets of Len Hoffman heads (one of which will be reimbursed down here in Miami).
Colin
I can probably kick in half a day, if for nothing else than a gloriously detailed pre-purchase inspection for some wealthy European to feel good about spending a fortune for my homely yet solid foundation for his Westy dreams.

Maybe facilitating a visit to Katech to help them fill the cylinder head gaps plaguing the hobby, as a bonus.

Oh yeah, we have talked about a kayak tour of Cement City for several years. It can happen.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

User avatar
clhudson
I'm New!
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by clhudson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:54 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 pm
PaducahFrank wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:47 pm
Put PaducahFrank/PaducahLydia on the list!
If clhudson and I can't get a passably running bus over the internet, maybe we can do a quick little trip out to Arkansas and Kentucky in the spring? Otherwise, late summer tooling down the tree-lined avenue in the Triumph um, after we get the bus tiptop of course. PM me your list!
Colin
That sounds GREAT to me! I'll make whenever work! And Colin I bet we can get mine going decently through PM. Just let me know what you need from me!
Thanks!
************************************
75 Westfalia
89 Wolfsburg Cabrio
2013 EOS

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:54 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:35 pm
I can probably kick in half a day, if for nothing else than a gloriously detailed pre-purchase inspection for some wealthy European to feel good about spending a fortune for my homely yet solid foundation for his Westy dreams.
Oh yeah, we have talked about a kayak tour of Cement City for several years. It can happen.
Keep an eye on the schedule. So, what's your next air-cooled VW going to be? :bounce:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 121,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 92,435 miles

andrewtf
I'm New!
Location: Urbana, Illinois
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by andrewtf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 am

Colin,
Count us/me in for a day- with the usual side notes on the visit.
I expect Big Emma to be somewhere in Chile, or Argentina by then - which means Murphy will feel lonely (however not neglected).

Basic system checks may be in order? (brakes, shift linkage, etc.). I will refine the list and straighten the garage.

The winter has kept me from driving just about continuously........ I have owned this bus for about 3 years now and have put a total of about 15 miles on it. Maybe we should just spend the day driving.........you hardly ever get to spend the better part of a day in the front seat of a VW Bus!

Thanks much - Andrew

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:46 pm

andrewtf wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 am
Colin,
Count us/me in for a day- with the usual side notes on the visit.
I expect Big Emma to be somewhere in Chile, or Argentina by then - which means Murphy will feel lonely (however not neglected).

Basic system checks may be in order? (brakes, shift linkage, etc.). I will refine the list and straighten the garage.

The winter has kept me from driving just about continuously........ I have owned this bus for about 3 years now and have put a total of about 15 miles on it. Maybe we should just spend the day driving.........you hardly ever get to spend the better part of a day in the front seat of a VW Bus!

Thanks much - Andrew

When is Big Emma due to embark? I need to have that bumper sticker in her little Emma's possession.

Thank you for realizing that it sure would be nice to at least be able to drive a VW bus around here for once.
You have no idea the torment of having to drink a cup of coffee, go over the concepts at the kitchen table, work, work, work, sometimes I don't get to drive for up to eight hours.

I owe you a PM. I have not forgotten.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 121,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 92,435 miles

User avatar
skip
Getting Hooked!
Location: Englewood, NJ
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by skip » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am

Okay, okay, okay....I'm in for at least a 1/2 day maybe more depends on the $$$. Always need help not sure with what yet. Still want to get the Thing on the road this year. I finished the re upholstery in the basement
over the winter, when it warms up I'll weld the pans and wire up the headlights.
What do you think of 1/4" Gates Barricade fuel hose? Still haven't sent carb to Volksbitz yet.
When its back on the ground I was gonna torque the 36 mm nut by stepping on a breaker bar about 13" out,
I'm about 220 lbs ought to be enough.
The Bus seems good and happy, found Don West (Wiperguy) who rebuilt the wiper assy claims no more dual
speed wiper motors, so I guess I'll live with the one speed I have.

Best,
Skip
Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

76 Westfalia
74 Type 181

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

User avatar
xyzzy
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by xyzzy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Colin:

I'm in for the 2019 lap! Completely flexible on scheduling for a full day here in Encinitas.
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

User avatar
satchmo
Old School!
Location: Claremont, CA
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by satchmo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm

What do you know about automatic transmissions? More than I do, I'm sure.

My transmission seems to be working just fine, at least I think so. I need a lesson on auto transmission care and feeding, help replacing gaskets and seals, a tutorial on linkages, and advice on what to do with the original transmission oil cooler/heat exchanger/potential disaster waiting to happen (according to GoWesty, anyway).

Pencil me in for a day. Fridays are best in June and July. After that any day is fine.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

User avatar
wdollie6
Getting Hooked!
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by wdollie6 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:00 am

Colin, add me to the list for a full day, all VW's need attention. Appears that the Northeast will be on the early part of the schedule this year, great news. Haven't made much progress on the 70 Fastback but sheet metal parts and pieces are rolling in, however still plenty to do on FatBoy (72 Westy) and the Breeze (66 Beetle).


**************

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:30 am

Alright, Layla can wait until fall, add me to the list for spring in NY and fall in FL.

Unfortunately I will have to change out the split manifold seal that is currently duct taped. As I recall one of the nuts to the head is a bear to get at while engine is in the vehicle, we'll make it work.

mtcamper
I'm New!
Location: Montana
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by mtcamper » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 pm

A little late to the party here! I should be able to do a half day, I wish I could do a full day. Lots of life happening this year at our house . I will pm you the details.

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:08 pm

satchmo wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm
What do you know about automatic transmissions? More than I do, I'm sure.

My transmission seems to be working just fine, at least I think so. I need a lesson on auto transmission care and feeding, help replacing gaskets and seals, a tutorial on linkages, and advice on what to do with the original transmission oil cooler/heat exchanger/potential disaster waiting to happen (according to GoWesty, anyway).

Pencil me in for a day. Fridays are best in June and July. After that any day is fine.

Satchmo
Hey! All this Alfa Romeo chatter ... I missed your request.
Please PM with List of Concerns fleshed out and year of your automatic Vanagon GL/Carat?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 121,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 92,435 miles

1funbug
I'm New!
Location: Waterville, OH
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by 1funbug » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am

Colin,
I'd like to get penciled in for a half day. We'll be replacing the master cylinder as per your diagnosis last year. I meant to do it this winter but the Honey-do list was to much for me.

Thanks,

Matt Harrell
Waterville, OH

User avatar
Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"
Status: Offline

Re: Preliminary Interest Gauge.

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:58 am

1funbug wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:29 am
Colin,
I'd like to get penciled in for a half day. We'll be replacing the master cylinder as per your diagnosis last year. I meant to do it this winter but the Honey-do list was to much for me.

Thanks,

Matt Harrell
Waterville, OH
Hey Matt,
How are your oil temperatures/pressures these days?
We may add a honey-do list to your preparations for my arrival once we determine when my arrival might be ...
ColinSwampedNoDrain
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,660 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 206,845 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 121,400 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,570 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 92,435 miles

Post Reply