post visit post from 1Funbug

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

1funbug
I'm New!

post visit post from 1Funbug

Post by 1funbug » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 am

“Exceeded expectations”.

That is my two word summary of my first meeting with Colin. He visited for a full day, and I admit it the best money I have spent on my Bus. The patient’s name is Shrek, a sage green 1977 Westy. Shrek’s powerplant is a Camper Special with about 5000 miles that I assembled myself. It has a chronic low oil pressure condition. In the fall of 2016 Shrek developed high oil temps. I parked him for a year as I went through the twelve steps of grief over what I might have done wrong.

This winter I decided it was time to do something. That something would be a visit from Colin. Over the next several months, when someone would ask “Where’s Shrek?”, I would explain that he’s got some issues and a guy that drives around the country helping Bus owners will be stopping by to help me fix them. A Star Wars analogy is the best way I could describe Colin to friends and family.

“If Jedi’s were VW Bus mechanics, Colin would be the guy that taught Yoda.”

I had very high expectations and Colin exceeded them. After the morning coffee was poured, we jumped right into the applied physics of my engine using pen and paper. Colin reviewed oil delivery, ignition, operating temperatures and engine cooling using illustrations and explanations that were understandable.

After the concepts were digested we headed back to the garage. Colin dug out his Harbor Freight oil pressure gauge. We installed it with a T to allow us to evaluate the factory oil temp switch. Colin then jumped in the driver seat and we took Shrek for a warmup drive. Once warm we adjusted the air/fuel mix and headed for the expressway. After a thorough assessment we deemed the oil pressure low but acceptable. I should mention that the oil temperature issue was resolved when I discovered a broken link on the left cooling flap and repaired prior to Colin’s visit.

We returned home and checked dwell and timing and verified the vacuum advance. We then adjusted the rear brakes, something I just couldn’t get right previously. Then we started forming a punch list of items to be addressed: a new brake master cylinder (due to a small leak), new flywheel seal (Sabo, of course), a nuisance oil leak and the Amskeptic method of rust inhibiting/prevention.

It was indeed a full day. We didn’t even stop for lunch. The tempo of Colin’s visit didn’t afford us that luxury. Every minute was definitely an investment in Shrek. I’ll have to invite him back next year, lunch provided.

Thanks Colin!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: post visit post from 1Funbug

Post by sped372 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 am

Thanks for the writeup!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Re: post visit post from 1Funbug

Post by BusBassist » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:03 am

Thanks for the enthusiastic write up 1funbug.

I have my first visit with Colin next week and am very much looking forward to it.

Colin, see you Thursday.

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.