Cancellations And Customer Etiquette

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Cancellations And Customer Etiquette

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am

This is my business. My income is variable. I do my best to provide clear procedures so I can be as efficient as possible.

Some customers have *refused* to communicate with my desperate PM and email requests for confirmation. Therefore, during the uncommitted phase before the deposit deadline, I wheedled other prior customers to please step up for an appointment to help pay for my long detour to serve the above-mentioned radio-silent customers. Now I am committed to serve all who ask, and I will serve them. But the non-committals have not only damaged my expected annual income estimate, they have damaged my expense projections. This is not that difficult, so I am irritated as hell that people will not tell me that their circumstances have changed or whatever.

It is absolutely critical for human beings to communicate with one another. My schedule is now holey with a couple of instances where I make maybe $5.00 an hour after travel expenses. To you who have refused to communicate with me in a timely fashion, good luck with the rest of your life's plans and commitments, you'll need it.

Ten cancellations thus far, and today, I am blowing off some more uncommitted calls. Some of these people I consider friends, but it is difficult when they don't extend such a basic level of courtesy as to tell me:
( * ) yes
or
( * ) no.
... thus, as of today, it has to default to a "no", so we all can Get On With It.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

xyzzy
Getting Hooked!

Re: Cancellations And Customer Etiquette

Post by xyzzy » Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am

Ugh. Sorry to hear this.

If you had cancellations near me, and it would help, then I'm definitely down for a second appointment. I'm sure we can find something to fix, unfix, improve, or teach me about!
---
1973 Westfalia
Encinitas, California USA

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 23, 2018 6:26 pm

xyzzy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am
Ugh. Sorry to hear this.

If you had cancellations near me, and it would help, then I'm definitely down for a second appointment. I'm sure we can find something to fix, unfix, improve, or teach me about!

Very kind of you, but you, xyzzy, are in the very middle of a domino train. I'll be rushing in like the Santa Ana winds.
Colin

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu May 24, 2018 4:46 am

I know first hand that life gets in the way and personal schedules change, but it is a shame that people don't respect your time/livelihood.

Could you perhaps require a down payment just to get on the schedule (do away with the red "D")?

Also, many people downright despise paypal - perhaps you could have a way for people to pay you via credit card on this here site? Making payments easy may get more people to pull the trigger....and keep their appointment.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

MonoCone
Getting Hooked!

Post by MonoCone » Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am

Your "customers", "friends", etc. are treating you terribly. Don't know what to say at this point.

Years ago I scheduled and then had to cancel because of a back injury. Things do happen in life. At a minimum you deserve a "yes" or "no".

And BTW Square Trade has a pretty easy and inexpensive credit card handling service. Our church uses it and it does make it easier for people to pay.
To Really Live You Must Go Back to the Mountains.
The Mountains are Where I Am and What I Am.
69 Westfalia 1600 DP; 2002 Eurovan Camper
When you elect a clown, expect a circus.

Formerly posted as OB Bus on this forum - many years ago....

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Thu May 24, 2018 9:46 am

I use Venmo for my coffeee dealer.. works well. Downside for you will be more complex tracking of payments.

I hope this thread shakes a few people up to their commitments.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Sun May 27, 2018 6:23 pm

Damn, sorry Colin. That’s not right. Im sure a few of the cases are legit, some may be in denial about being able to afford the visit (still a bargain in my mind). Some may have good intentions, only to continue in their procrastinatin’ ways, and others are too ignorant to realize you made an attempt at an orderly schedule based on a verbal commitment. I like the idea of half to get on the schedule...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 29, 2018 8:34 am

Curtp07 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:23 pm
I like the idea of half to get on the schedule...
That's an idea.
First-born children are good too. These boxes and tools are not getting any lighter.
Colin

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 pm

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to keep your current process, but with a minor tweak.

Having your "preliminary interest gauge" gives you a good idea of the density and the whereabouts of 80%-90% of your engagements , which gives you a good idea of your route, clockwise, counterclockwise, etc. Just move your deposit deadline up by two weeks and stick to it. You can plan your route, and if people want to join after the deadline, you can work them if/when it is convenient for you and your planned travel path.

This way it is a win-win. Folks have some cushion time to save up the coin for the deposit, also gives your them a good idea of where they will fit in so they can make plans to take the day off of work or whatever, and, you get a very good idea of your course. If they want to join after, it's more at your discretion than theirs.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 29, 2018 9:44 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 pm
My opinion, for what it's worth, is to keep your current process, but with a minor tweak.
It is a pretty good system. It has a lot of redundancies built in so I can keep people straight and properly credit them. Unlike the old days, our new internet identities and email names and usernames make book-keeping a challenge.

I think the system is functional. There is nothing I can do to overcome the vagaries of individual characters. I know a few. Some are just the most stubborn procrastinators I have ever had the distemper to wait for. Some make themselves late because they need the drama and hysteria of being late. Character issues. I say that, because I also know the really well-organized. Their lives have peace, dignity, order (their Christmas cards are in the mail first week of December), serenity . . . and all it takes is to keep on top of your daily list.
And damnittohell, I have experience with both characters within myself!
And I know that I procrastinate and delay and "forget" if I am not really interested or really committed.
So I paint everyone else with that broad brush.
Colin