2018 Preparation Deprecations

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

2018 Preparation Deprecations

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 am

Oh yes, there is no other word that can possibly describe the mad mutterings and cursing and dead-cold stares of the past few days. You have no idea.

Let's start with the usual happy contented marveling with which I greet every sunny morning. Why do I even bother to wake up happy? But I did. I washed the most beautiful Rodney The Pilot's 1970 VW Beetle in the world. Note that the below photograph is *before* the wash, that is why the pavement is "dry" (not yet wet with my tears):

Took a moment to appreciate the incredibly honest and unique lines of the Beetle, the only shape in the automotive universe that transitions so beautifully from one plane to the next:

Noted a rare thing in this car that I have to give to Rodney The Pilot. The integrity of this car's appearance and function. It is not a slap-together shiny "restoration". Everything works and the doors close with solidity, the brakes are light and tight, the clutch has correct free play, the engine works as intended, the car steers exactly like a proper young Beetle, light, precise, tight. Now look at this interior:

The magnificence of that sparkling speedometer is due to me, I accept your accolades:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13276&start=90 (see: P 7 ) 9331

Here is my first repair using the box of original spade terminals with the weird swage tool:

Decided to run Rodney The Pilot's 1970 VW Beetle to the gas station since it was on reserve and nobody ever listens to me as to the importance of keeping the fuel tank topped up until they hotly declare that it makes the interior smell like gas to which I of course reply well why don't you fix the cause? The saucy functional look of the Beetle just make all the other cars around it look grotesque and stupidly zingablingy.

Yeah, so the interior sure did smell like gas after I topped the tank . . . . do you see how the universe tries so hard to destroy my happiness? With my ears burning, with a blush of humiliation, I emptied out the trunk and the perfect trunk carpeting and eventually discovered a loose hose clamp on the filler hose. Drove around again to air out the interior and practice my newfound haughty speech about "why don't you fix the cause?" . . .

Parked Rodney The Pilot's 1970 Beetle at about 11 AM. What a nice car. I love air-cooled Volkswagens . . . .

"Let's install the new taillamp assemblies into NaranjaWesty," I happily exclaimed to myself. After all, the left taillamp lens had a chip in it from the accident in Los Alamos on September 11, 2016. The insurance company had grudgingly sprung for one "OEM quality" lens. I demanded two VW Audi Mexican lenses (the color of the replacement won't match the original, so we need two), and new "Hella" housings. The housings are black. You can't do that, it steals luminosity.
See? :

Stuck little hoses on the studs so they wouldn't get mucked with paint:

Painted housings AND painted headlamp rings why not?

Little Lionel brat sure looks excited at these freshly silver-painted housings:

Then I "reflectorized" each light compartment with HVAC tape:

See how much more luminescent they are?

I made it only this far. Which is to say, I installed them fully wired up, even got the caps on the taillight housings:

Tested them. They throw out light pretty good. So why did it take another ENTIRE day to finish the job?

Because there was a gap, that's why. My happiness was destroyed. Plus the lenses would not sit flush against the housing. My hope, extinguished once more. I knew there was trouble. The housings fought going into the openings with a bzzzzt of the studs ripping their threads against the holes on the body, and I smartly rapped them into position, the lenses fought going onto the housings and the screws made dangerous squeaking noises as I tried to snug them to the housings. I will NOT have this. I drive in dusty conditions. I need the taillamps to keep dust out of the engine compartment, and I need the lenses to seat on the housings so the reflectors do not get dusted up or wet. This is a Law of mine. I have a Squareback with utterly fresh clean shiny reflectors and absolutely no corrosion on the bulbs/contacts, I have the BobD which has driven more miles than NaranjaWesty and it's lenses and reflectors are beautiful inside! NaranjaWesty must meet these standards. It can't be that difficult to make housings meet the body with a dust-tight seal and lenses meet the housings with a dust-tight seal! Yeah, but it is, in today's indifferent world. I had to disassemble both sides all the way down. I had to whittle the housings at the upper radius. I had to press out the mounting studs and plane down the flanges where the studs had displaced plastic. I had to whittle the index flanges for the lenses all the way around the housings (like how the early AMC heads were too big for the factory valve covers), I had to whittle the lenses themselves at each screw hole because you know why? I'll tell you why! I mean, I'll write you why! I had to whittle the screw holes in the Hella VW Audi Mexican lenses because the Hella black-now-silver housings had a different distance between each screw hole, and the edges of the screws were not going into the countersink holes. That is Crack The Damn Lens City! AND I had to drill out the holes in the left side opening to let the housing studs go in without a ripping bizz sound. We don't do bizz:

See the gaping hole in the grommet for the side marker wires? That is completely typical of all late model VW buses since August 1971. Why do they seal everything then put in a grommet with a dust sucking huge gaping hole? Am I sounding testy? Well, am I?

A little NAPA butyl caulk sealed the lower grommets:

You think this is OCD? Well, trying being the caretaker of a bus that has it all correct just feet away from the torment of sloppy indifference. It took TWO hateful days, a whole repainting of the housings, touching up the drilled-out screw holes in the quarter panel, agog stares from the neighbors who think it took me two days to change out a lousy light bulb in my taillight, to get this.:

Then I attacked the NaranjaWesty Original Fred The Oversprayer® Hella Turn Signal Lenses
which had been swapped out with BobD's original lenses while the BobD got the brand new original Hella NOS turn signals lenses bought two years ago off theSamba. Now then,
NaranjaWesty Original Fred The Oversprayer® Hella Turn Signal Lenses were perfect except for a lot of yellow paint and a few hits from a grinder and some hideously deep scratches and two inadvertent pours of fiberglass resin. BobD's original lenses had crazed cracking from that hit in Death Valley by that knucklehead who had to pass me on the gravel road to get to the stop sign before me.

I sanded the hell out of the lenses, 220 grit! Blasted through the scratches and the resin. They looked utterly opaque and destroyed. Then I went through the entire sandpaper collection and sanded those lenses in soapy water 320/400/600/800/1000/1500 avoiding the Hella logo and the Made In Germany because I am nothing if not vain and designer logo-conscious. Then I attacked the lenses with the 4 step headlamp clarifying kit. Then wax. Voila!

Pre-Reflectorizing Process:

Post-Reflectorizing Process:

NaranjaWesty Original Fred The Oversprayer® Hella Turn Signal Lenses at home once more:

Now, bad news for me. You know the BobD looks spiffy with that original paint just ridiculously reflective. NaranjaWesty's Fred The Oversprayer paint job is close to awful. I stupidly experimented to great effect The left scoop was painted as a consequence of the crash in Los Alamos. The shop couldn't help themselves. They buffed to a BobD gloss. Now look at the tailgate paint. It is so orange peely that it actually looks like the surface of an orange, a slightly dehydrated orange:

So did this side. But Mr. Lens Restorer hit this side with some soapy 1000 grit and polishing compound:

Now I have to do the whole car:

Stuck on some new Big Boy 17mm valve adjusting screws from Bus Depot. They are worthy and recommended for all you who hate the 14mm nuts that always get rounded off. For reference, this is NaranjaWesty's left bank :

While I was cursing out my taillight replacement procedure, I started painting the five additional timing scales I ordered from Bus Depot. Here are the initially-black scales made white for pre-1976 buses:

Now with numbers laboriously brought up:

Now with the red highlights. I shall sell the lot of them over the summer.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BusBassist
Getting Hooked!

Re: 2018 Preparation Deprecations

Post by BusBassist » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 am

I like that this post was delivered at 9:14 am - the same number "914" that gave up its engine for my 73 bus.

Unlike Colin, I did not wake up to sunny skies here in Western NY. However, I did drive my bus to work today in 31*'s of grey, gloomy weather. BUT - I was driving an air-cooled VW and that made this gloomy day just a little bit brighter.

Jeff
Late 73 Bay w/a transplanted 914 Engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 pm

BusBassist wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 am
I like that this post was delivered at 9:14 am - the same number "914" that gave up its engine for my 73 bus.

Unlike Colin, I did not wake up to sunny skies here in Western NY. However, I did drive my bus to work today in 31*'s of grey, gloomy weather. BUT - I was driving an air-cooled VW and that made this gloomy day just a little bit brighter.

Jeff

And now it is 231, the same number of cubic inches as the venerable old Chevy straight six.

Just did compression tests on both NaranjaWesty and the BobD:

NaranjaWesty @ 76,335 miles:

135 / 140 / 140 / 150 - good enough, that's my good little rotten tangerine. Note these plug colors. There is no improving the 14-16 mpg fuel economy from here. I think I have to stop going 65-70 mph:

The BobD @ 110, 760 miles:

120 / 160 / 140 / 155 We say, "what the heLL??" Note these plug colors. There is no improving the fuel economy here, either:

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 pm
I think I have to stop going 65-70 mph:
Umm, yeah. You're setting a bad example for us laid-back hippy types in our go-slow vans who think that the double-nickel is just fine, thankyewverymuch.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 pm

SlowLane wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:04 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
I think I have to stop going 65-70 mph:
Umm, yeah. You're setting a bad example for us laid-back hippy types in our go-slow vans who think that the double-nickel is just fine, thankyewverymuch.
It is a survival thing. 55 I fall asleep. 75 through fast traffic, I am wide awake. Chloe, I can do 55, the engine is working so hard that I remain alert to its screaming generator/fan. NaranjaWesty, I can't even hear the thing, just wind through the vents like a soothing, white noise . . . soft ride . . . . . on a Greyhound . . . . . . . . . hour after houzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz oh, we're here.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 pm
NaranjaWsety .. can't hear a thing ... soothing, white noise . . . soft ride . . . . . on a Greyhound . . . . . . . . . hour after hour
That can be fixed... :cherry:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Amskeptic wrote:

The BobD @ 110, 760 miles:

120 / 160 / 140 / 155 We say, "what the heLL??" Note these plug colors. There is no improving the fuel economy here, either:
That is a pretty big variance from 120 to 160. Any concerns with it? I know most folks say anything more than 10-15% between cylinders is a concern.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:08 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:14 am

Stuck on some new Big Boy 17mm valve adjusting screws from Bus Depot. They are worthy and recommended for all you who hate the 14mm nuts that always get rounded off. For reference, this is NaranjaWesty's left bank :

Did the heads have mild coking when you bought it, or has your 30k miles of thrashing about the country heated the heads up beyond norm?

Also, it would seem to the pea-brained (me) that throwing bigger (heavier) adjusting screws/nuts on the rockers would throw off the balance of things. Although, you seem to be OK changing to swivel-feet, so I guess it is not a concern. Just wondering...
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:51 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:08 am
Did the heads have mild coking when you bought it, or has your 30k miles of thrashing about the country heated the heads up beyond norm?

Also, it would seem to the pea-brained (me) that throwing bigger (heavier) adjusting screws/nuts on the rockers would throw off the balance of things. Although, you seem to be OK changing to swivel-feet, so I guess it is not a concern. Just wondering...

My God. These heads look so much better *now* than they did that first day I first adjusted the valves. See, we don't "thrash" around the country, we "rinse" around the country. Many of these engines quickly starved of oil up in the rockers as it coked in the push rods and rocker arm passages (remember yours? we spend damn near all day on them) due to horrendous heat AND lack of maintenance. Even the Road Warrior had galled rocker shafts and burnt oil brown all over the place when I bought it at 81,000 miles. These heads were brown brown brown, and they were dry. Now that we have rinsed this engine every 3,000 miles and "delicately driven" all over Creation, the heads have been cleaned a fair amount. Then the guides will start getting tired and hot exhaust will slip up between the stems and guides and burn the area under and around the exhaust springs. We're not there yet.

There is absolutely no "balance" throwing effects from heavier valve adjusting nuts. I think the only effect you *might get* with these big adjusting nuts is *inertia* effects above about 7,000 rpm that might enhance valve float..
Colin :cyclopsani:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 pm
That is a pretty big variance from 120 to 160. Any concerns with it?
And I quote, "what the heLL??"
Yes, it is part of the calculus that this engine has to be torn down for a little tender ministration.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 pm

^ Am I tearing into a virginal never-touched factory engine? ^
You betcha.

See that black oily dust plume showing the air flow characteristics of this fan housing? Its all normal and not even grimy, so I left it alone:

This is a factory mark, painted the same red as the 411 engines that have marks on the fan perimeter:

Yes, I felt like a nerd, masking off Inspector Otto, but I did it:

Rather than using white factory caulk, I decided to go for black butyl. I hope it works in high heat, because it is gross and sticky:

All done. This project was just to paint the rear tins and fan/alternator pulleys. I stuck on one of my white timing scales. It is incorrect for a 1977 engine. It is correct for a 1972-1975 engine:

The new antenna is mostly for the clean chrome. The old one was ozidized and frozen in place. You should know that I do not listen to the radio and the speaker wires have been yanked from this car. So what do I use the antenna for? It is my garage clearance warning device, that is all. If the antenna reacts to the ceiling, I have about a foot before the roof or poptop hits the ceiling. It is adjusted precisely.

When I tapped the old antenna with a hammer to get it to retract, a geyser of rusty blackish water squirted out between the wand sections. Gross. This is because all of us VW bus people have a drainage problem. The gasket between the antenna and the body blocks the drain. Here is the new antenna. The blue dash is the wand where water has to leave. The red dot is the drain "port":

I attacked the new cheap plastic antenna mount with the dremel cutting blade and made two small notches from the drain hole to the inner cavity of the mount, and two notches at the bottom to allow water to escape between the gasket and the body:

The bottom notches became mere snake bite holes when I got the gasket installed on the mount:

It is subtle enough that I do not think people will see it without being directed to it:

The Law Firm's cat sure didn't notice it:

I will adjust the antenna mast tomorrow to warn of any ceiling within 1" of the poptop top.
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:47 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 pm
wcfvw69 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 pm
That is a pretty big variance from 120 to 160. Any concerns with it?
And I quote, "what the heLL??"
Yes, it is part of the calculus that this engine has to be torn down for a little tender ministration.
Colin
My inquisitive side always is fascinated by things like this. Are the rings more worn on that one cylinder? Valves or guides more worn? I love the detective work in finding the root cause of the issues.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:42 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:47 am

My inquisitive side always is fascinated by things like this. Are the rings more worn on that one cylinder? Valves or guides more worn? I love the detective work in finding the root cause of the issues.

I could have sworn that I answered your question. High compression is the issue here, so the rings and valves are doing their jobs just fine. Normally it would be carbon build-up, but I run pretty hot with little oil consumption, I hope it is not something like a worn camshaft exhaust lobe "trapping" air . . .

Things are ramping up as the Itinerary Main Lap gets closer. For fun, I swapped the red Koni shock absorbers from the BobD to NaranjaWesty, you know, the "heavier camper" deal. Noticed that the Konis do NOT have the full travel of the stock Boges:

Now NaranjaWesty has the Koni firmness and the BobD has the Boge velvety ride. I will do a write-up (sure, when I have the time) on shock absorbers. They really are circumscribed to a narrow range of effectiveness, and the Konis adjustability must be considered carefully.

Last day of the BobD refresh included new front brake pads, not that the second set since the car was new were all that worn:

This job included Budget rental truck paparazzi (a real problem) pestering the poor pudgy mechanic:

Did you just call me "pudgy"?

YEAH, I DID. Anyways, how bout them clean painted wheels?

March 23rd or thereabouts, Going To Get The BobD:

April 25th, Bringing The BobD Back To Atlanta, wheels and trim enhanced:

A lot was done, here's the BobD on the way down, old wheels, old trim, unpainted exhaust system, dying Optima battery, fuel filter getting ready to plug up the pump . . .

Noted that the defroster works pretty well. This is the first stop light from a dead-cold start at 6:35AM. Of course, it was only down to 50* outside, but we bus pilots know this view:

Ran smack into Atlanta Morning Traffic. It was while driving through endless stops and starts that I realized that we need to shoot a split-view video of How To Drive A Volkswagen In Heavy Traffic, one view of the pedal action, the other looking out the windshield. I am not tooting my horn, it is just a realization that I have a lifelong skill that needs to be recorded. I can show you how not to wear out your VW in horrible traffic.

Arrived at the storage unit at 8:00AM:

I love that BobD. It is a good soul under that pretty. It has knocked out 1,100 miles since I picked it up, at 15 mpg at 65-70 mph, 380-425* CHTs, nooo problem:

Loaded up the Toyota luxury product with my New York banzai detritus (I am supposed to do exhaust work with cheesehead in Maryland on May 3rd, and who knows if my selected tools thrown in a cardboard box are going to do the job), and took Chloe for a spin. This time, Chloe started right up, drove flawlessly, and reminded me once again that it has 48 net horsepower and drum brakes:

I am now in Ohio, have to be in Rochester New York tonight to take a Pudge Mitigation Walk with Cindy, then check the rodent problem with the Squareback, Lincoln, and Mercedes. I pray all is OK.
I have a lot of driving to do over the next few days, but will try to update.
Colin

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:00 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:42 am
For fun, I swapped the red Koni shock absorbers from the BobD to NaranjaWesty, you know, the "heavier camper" deal. Noticed that the Konis do NOT have the full travel of the stock Boges:

Now NaranjaWesty has the Koni firmness and the BobD has the Boge velvety ride. I will do a write-up (sure, when I have the time) on shock absorbers. They really are circumscribed to a narrow range of effectiveness, and the Konis adjustability must be considered carefully.

Colin
I've been thinking about this a lot lately wondering about a possible Boge/Koni mix and match approach, loads of a Camper vs. a Transporter, the inputs of various road conditions, etc. Long story short, a mini thesis would be a welcome input to the thought process.

BTW, Konis are dialed in as you recommended and a huge improvement. Want to play with them some more to fine tune them, but really other projects have clear precedence.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Damn,

This picture looks like it could have been taken in the late 70's with two brand new VW buses in front of the house.

Beautiful.