That Little Dr. Death Deal In Atlanta

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

That Little Dr. Death Deal In Atlanta

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am

Yeah, me again, the Grim Reaper of Volkswagen Dreams.

Looked at the weather forecast in Athens GA for March 11th on March 8th here in Pensacola FL. The week was mostly a 70/50* stretch for Pensacola, but it was a 52/32* with heavy rain for Athens. So, no NaranjaWesty on this run, rather it was to be a gliding banzai in the Lexus with a real cozy heater, a Rain-Ex treated windshield, and plenty of music.
First fuel stop showed a lousy 19mpg. Next fuel stop showed a nice 26.5mpg as the computer decided that I was "feathering" the throttle at 80 mph and advanced the timing but good.

Once I got used to the 80 mph, Atlanta metro decided to shut me down. That tantalizing cit skyline was far far away:

Far away when you are topping out at 12 mph and 800 rpm:

But, the music was good. Ended the banzai run at the storage unit.
The BobD refused to start (!)
Chloe refused to start (!!)
Hordes of nostalgic storage unit patrons materialized to pester me as I frantically tried to figure out why my babies are dead dead dead.
"Hey, those are great I used to have one of those back in the day you could always get them going one time I was going to Nashville in my 1967 or was it 1968 when it wouldn't start and I had to get up to Nashville and you can adjust the breaker points with a matchbook nobody knows what matchbooks are I mean breaker points actually ha ha I mean both . . . . "

The BobD wouldn't even crank. Gave up and went over to Chloe's stall. Chloe cranked, albeit slowly, but it would not fire. Went back to BobD and shoved it backwards out of the stall while sitting in the driver's seat and pulling the metal wall studs in succession. Even tried a little jump start in reverse. Sure. Front end just eased upwards and the car came to an engine compression halt.

". . . . then I got my matchbook out and set the breaker points with the matchbook and wouldn't you know it it started right up that's probably what's wrong with your bus here anyways it was the best I should have never . . . "

Walked back to Chloe and pushed it backwards out of the stall while sitting in the driver's seat and pulling the metal wall studs in succession. Didn't bother to try to jump it reverse.

". . . . show the kid here what a real car looks like I don't think he is really all that interested in old cars he's a kid he just wants to play electronic games yeah there was that other time when i was driving from Arizona . . . "

Chloe, I knew it could start on the available battery charge, so I didn't even bother to jump it. I was pretty sure that the fuel pump was not delivering, just like it did not deliver the day I installed it for the very first time. I made a funnel out of a paper towel and soaked it in my can of gas. Then I wrung it out inside the carburetor, reattached the air cleaner duct and it started right up.

". . . . and I told her that we could make it as long as we kept HEY IT'S RUNNING! I TOLD YOU IT WAS THE BREAKER POINTS! yeah see how easy they are?"

The Lexus had now charged BobD's ten year-old Optima Spiral Technology battery for five minutes and I was pretty sure that it would deign to engage the starter. And it did. Started right up. But I could smell a mouse-pee smell and that made me heartsick. Didn't see anything untoward, but the warning signs are here. These cars must be driven!

Went to my brother's house where the other Lexus lives:

Whereupon we went on a demented shopping trip through town switching cars so he could see that Alexus 1 is still doing a fine job. And we got lost near WalMart, I in his car, he in mine, his phone is next to me so I can't call him to see where he is. Eventually, I discover him in WalMart chatting up someone in electronics. I had to drive him to his car because it was parked "so far away" while mine was packed in between SUVs near the entrance.
(which explains why Alexus1 is now sporting a side-swipe down the right rear door)

My brother . . . . . . . . . . . . :

Remember that amazing tow guy in Homosassa? I had no idea that they give you gift packages along with a quick tow. Yeah, sunglasses and a new tee shirt! Still trying to wrap around these new sunglasses:

Back at the house, $30.00 poorer, but giddy, positively giddy:

You see, I had to buy a $4.99 cassette adapter and a memory card. I now own a smart phone, a LG G6 nicknamed "Crack", and it is becoming my new music hub through the cassette door:

Colin has reached the threshhold of the 21st Century.
(to be continued)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: That Little Dr. Death Deal In Atlanta

Post by whc03grady » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am
I could smell a mouse-pee smell and that made me heartsick. Didn't see anything untoward, but the warning signs are here. These cars must be driven!
Or, barring that, filled with cotton balls dipped in peppermint.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Recently started the camper for the first time this year... dropped the battery in, turned the key, and it startled me how quickly it fired up. Because fuel injection!? I'm so used to the annual 1st multi-crank fill-the-bowl routine.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

71whitewesty
Addicted!

Post by 71whitewesty » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Seems like I buy at least one battery a year between 8 cars. They just don’t get driven enough. I try to rotate a few mouse traps between the vehicles that sit more.
Mine have been sitting all winter but two weeks ago I jumped in Bus 2 and did a 1,000 mile ski camping trip with three kids. We camped In the Mt Baker ski area parking lot while it dumped snow. Good times. All I did was check the oil before I left. Ran flawlessly.
Bus 1 doesn’t even have 100 miles on the new engine yet. I’m waiting for your visit to fine tune it. Still has idle issues...
It’s pretty funny seeing a picture of you and your brother and your matching lexus.

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:36 am

FI on both fired right up after sitting for 3 months!
Battery tenders. Haven’t replaced a battery in 8 years.

Cassette adapter...WTF! Bluetooth FM transmitter...

Storage units let you keep cars? That’s cool!

Good post!

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:45 am

The joys of owning multiple VW's! I know it well. With three, I try to drive them at least every three weeks. It can be a challenge to accomplish that goal.

It's just amazing to me how these mechanical things can break simply sitting there, waiting to be brought back to life again. I've learned for me, every three weeks is the sweet spot before batteries get too low. I should consider a battery tender.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:45 am
I should consider a battery tender.
Where can I apply? Colin, I’d offer to battery-tend the BobD but I might just keep driving until the tires fall off.

RobbieTheTravelingVolkswagenBatteryTender
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Curtp07 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:36 am
Cassette adapter...WTF! Bluetooth FM transmitter...
Ohhailno ... Hail no. I likes me some fihidelity thank yooverymuch.

And the fidelity actually has taken a subtle hit, even with a little LG G6 graphic equalizer action. We are missing a certain organic aural spaciousness between the digital information bits.

But, after trying to synchronize my NO DOUBT, ROBBIE, between the laptop and the cassette drive motor, I am happy to take a rest from wow and flutter.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 pm

sped372 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 pm
Recently started the camper for the first time this year... dropped the battery in, turned the key, and it startled me how quickly it fired up. Because fuel injection!? I'm so used to the annual 1st multi-crank fill-the-bowl routine.
Depends. My carbureted Road Warrior started up ridiculously quickly after a winter sit, but then, I knew to punch the gas a good five or six times. I have never had a no-start VW until the plucky Squareback played dead two years ago. The BobD has never disgraced the brand until now. Chloe has now played a fool of me with sticking carburetor needle valves in Mississippi on 11/22/11, breaker point wires breaking in half in Miami traffic, and this, this VintageWerks rebuild Pierburg pump's second lock-down of the reed valve.

Naranja started brilliantly quickly until I richened the fuel mixture for the sake of the exhaust valves. The cold start calibration on the injected engines is totally expecting a lean warm mixture (.7% CO).
Colin

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 pm
this VintageWerks rebuild Pierburg pump's second lock-down of the reed valve.

Colin
Care to expand on this comment? :) How does that reed (inlet valve) lock down on ya? I've seen the reed valves bent or distorted or installed upside down from someone "trying" to rebuild one but never a reed stuck :scratch:
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:14 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 pm
Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 pm
this VintageWerks rebuild Pierburg pump's second lock-down of the reed valve.

Colin
Care to expand on this comment? :)
Maybe it is the anti-percolation valve which is less a reed than a diaphragm that sticks on the outlet.
All I am going on is that the pump refuses to shove a drop of fuel even as the push rod does its thing.
A sharp rap always brings it back online. (always: definition; twice now)
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am

So, That Little Dr. Death Deal ...
I try so hard to rope you readers in to my cliffhangers, but you just chatter inanely about battery tenders and starting and Bluetooth, but I left one of our forum members utterly devastated in Georgia.

It was jimbear who has valiantly disassembled his engine to diligently upgrade his cylinder heads after last year's stripped spark plug saga:

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13265#p224348

We were going to merely go over Best Practices for reassembling the engine with the new $$ylinder head$$ from Len Hoffman. I arrived in the Lexus with no tools and only a suggestion to have a pen and paper handy.

After spending a lot of time on Hygienic Cylinder Cleaning and Deck Height Calculations, I offered to have a look around the rest of the engine. Pulled some lifters and found them only slightly worn through the centers, but woe, alas, the intake cam lobe for the front pair of cylinders had a "gigantic" depression on the tip of the lobe. At that point, I lost much of my initial "git'erdone!" insouciance, and jimbear gained a whole new reflectiveness. This engine must be torn down the rest of the way.

Then we celebrated this new sobering reality with beer at the local pizza joint. Jimbear, do not despair, dig in and utilize the great good support in your local VW community.

Drove back to Pensacola at hushed high speed. Met up with exoticdvm and Eliana at the Law Firm.
They are driving to Alaska, I, on my way to the local WalMart. We severely inspected a windshield leak:

We removed the wiper assembly via the glovebox:

We entered into intense negotiations here, open the sliding door? Here? Are you sure? Like this?
(well, that is what it looked like)

Here is the new wiper motor being readied for installation. I did not have the heart to tell it,
"Yeah, and you're going to Alaska, NOW."

The Atticus Finch Meets Clint Eastwood Lawyer, Jack, now drives a 1970-something Ford F-150 and a VW Westy:

Had a nice lunch with exoticdvm and Eliana at the local watering hole in Pensacola and sent them on their way . . . to Alaska.

Then, I devoted way too much time to figuring out how to use my new-fangled whaddyacallit "smart" phone. Mine is a reject, a cast-off, a busted screen tragedy unceremoniously relegated to the trash, but my brother said,
"Oh come on join the present, you'll LIKE it. You can play online games."
"No."
I have decimated the apps supply, and shut off the wi-fi and the bluetooth, and it is on airplane mode-for-life. After swiping and swiping like a lab rat in convulsions, I have uploaded 1,675 tunes and made six "playlists" and I am proud of myself.

First Selfie "where the hell is the shutter anyhow?":

Second Selfie "what have I just done to my life?"

Wish me "Happy Birthday" I am officially 59 years old at 1:26PM PDT.
Colin

Ronin10
Getting Hooked!

Post by Ronin10 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:58 am

Happy birthday and welcome to this decade. Your client base thanks you for the "upgrade". Have you considered an Instagram account now that you have the smartypants phone? You're already taking the itinerary pics and posting there could/should/would drive traffic to the IAC website.

Interestingly, I debated long and hard about going back to a flip phone before replacing my dying smartphone. Music, podcasts, instant weather forecasts, e-mail, and ease of communication with my son (text) all contrived to keep me in this decade too.
Oscar: 1976 Sage Green Bus, Stock Motor, Solid Lifters, Manual Transaxle

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm

I am replying with this LG G6 "smart phone, trting to keep up with you darn kids, my eyes are watering. Hey. but I am cool now ... phoney to he'll.
( why don't photos display?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:22 pm

The spelling errors were not of my making! How do I shut off auto-correct
idiot?

OK! Back on the laptop, phew.

I just don't see myself dorking with those itty-bitty little letters and numbers and characters. The header picture (which needs to be changed) looked really weird on that phone, lots of white space stretching down below the illustrations.

I am ruined.
MR. Smart Phone is now Mr. Smart Phone Blue-Blocker Aviator Clip-On® . . . you just will not recognize me any more:

Mr. Smart Phone Blue-Blocker Aviator Clip-Ons® Listening to the Doors "Light My Fire" on Klipsch ear buds on the way to Discount Tire? Oh my god, it's bad, this modernity.
Colin
(the fever shall break forthwith)