IAC in New Jersey

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

appetite
Getting Hooked!

IAC in New Jersey

Post by appetite » Mon May 29, 2017 8:59 am

An extraordinarily productive IAC visit this year. Our goal was to swap in a new transmission, but the two days produced a laundry list of tasks. To wit, we accomplished the following:

Pulled engine and tranny
Replaced main seal
End play adjustment
Clutch and pressure plate installed
Throw out bearing installed
Replaced Fuel lines
Swapped various crusty wires
Married new tranny and engine
Reinstalled engine and tranny
Clutch adjustment
Brake adjustment
Replaced drag link
Steering box adjustment
Distributor swap
Set timing
Adjusted idle and mixture
Oil change
Valve adjustment
Checked torque on heads
Test drives

Wow! Thanks as always to Colin for his expertise and boundless optimism about the possibilities of keeping our buses running well.

James

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Re: IAC in New Jersey

Post by Curtp07 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Damn! I have to make my list bigger!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Curtp07 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 12:38 pm
Damn! I have to make my list bigger!

Easy there, Curt.
Appetite has graduated to Journeyman Itinerant Patron after eight years of annual visits so I hammer him pretty hard right out of the coffee klatch.
And it was fun. I now know his bus, and it has a scrappy Noo Joisy attitude that kind of demands that you just drive it on those bumpity streets, no dainty slow speed avoidance of every pothole like I try to do with Chloe.

The supervisor of our operation was crafty in his questions. He was trying to keep us focused and on-point,
"What are you doing now, daddy?"
"Why?"
"What wire is that?"
"Where are the snps?" (I know, but that is how he spelled it on our to-do list)
"When are we going on the test drive?"

I of devastated self-confidence looked longingly at his old pressure plate, so appetite said, "you want it?"
"Yes."
I noted that it looked quite a bit different than the Fastback pressure plate I resurrected from the weeds. Much plainer:

Much flatter. Yet, it has an early style diaphragm spring with more anchors than the Fastback pressure plate, so I will try the Appetite Commemorative Pressure Plate first, at my first opportunity to remove Chloe's engine:

There's the money shot, Fitchel and Sachs. The Good Old Days. See, Mr. Fitchel was the stickler for quality while Mr. Sachs was all about expanding the franchise (I just made that up):

Appetite is using a brand new Sachs Maybe German diaphragm pressure plate from Wolfsburg West, and it fit better than my Brazilian one ever did, and it is SMOOTH as it should be, unlike my chattering monkey plate. Phooey. Anyways, his bus is much more civilized without that old howling transaxle of old that used to make me wince:

Consumed by drag link job, appetite here was waiting for the "gunshot report" that was to issue forth when the drag link separated from the pitman arm, but, just like whc03grady's, it just let go demurely and quietly:

Chloe has been running well, against all of my anxieties:

Reasonably peppy for a Type 1 bus, we are braving NJ 3 towards 17 north here. I missed the iconic shot of the NYC skyline because my speedy little cow galloped down the hill too quickly for me:

That is the "Freedom Tower" spire to your right and the Empire State Building is the spire to your left here at too dark for a good shot 7:15PM:

I am in the right lane throughout the major NY metropolitan area, averaging 55-60 mph, dicing through the entrance and exit ramps with pesky little fartcan Hondas often nipping at our hooves, and hurrying large box trucks expertly missing mirror contact by about a half inch, but the Memorial Day weekend has blessed reduced traffic enough to make a fairly painless exit:

I miss sunshine,
Colin :geek:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:38 pm

I do so enjoy these traveling photographs now more than ever, having now seen so many eastern and midwestern communities like Appetite's. I really do enjoy that same Sachs of Germany pressure plate that Wolfsburg West sells. Very well-indexed and close to balanced out of the box too!

See if you can hit 65 on Madison Avenue. The median divider makes for an excellent sound reflector to better appreciate our clacky valve train.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.