Wcfvw69 is Bored . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Wcfvw69 is Bored . . .

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Biggest problem according the guy is the paint match.
ColinInTennessee
I'm calling bullshit on that. I've lately become my now fiance's daughters chief auto body/paint guy. They are both in their early 20's and can't help but bang, hit, blow tires and do other young girl calamities to their two older cars. One daughter blew a tire on her 2000 pontiac (great story BTW). The tire blow out did about $3500 worth of damage to the car due to breaking and damaging so many parts. The insurance company wanted to scrap it. I ended up fixing it by visiting junk yards for the NLA parts that were needed. I had to match the 17 year old paint that was not in the best shape from the Arizona sun.

I took the old fender to the auto body paint shop I use. Now, this shop has mainly kids in their early 20's working there, not 20 year paint mixing veterans. I bought the paint code in from the car as well. He mixed some paint up with the code then tweaked it a bit to account for the age of the original paint on the rest of the car. He NAILED it on the first try. After I painted the replacement panels, I busted out the electric buffer and compound on the rest of her car and you could not tell what panels had been repainted.

My 6 vodka tonic rambling point? Body shops and paint mixing houses are pretty damn good these days in matching old paint and their colors with all the technology. Good auto painters can also do a really good job of matching original orange peel as well, that the VW's came with from the factory. It's a single stage paint too which makes it easier as well.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Do I spy Naranja Westy at Vintage VW? Their social media presence is quite good! I hope their body work is too!

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:26 pm

asiab3 wrote:Do I spy Naranja Westy at Vintage VW? Their social media presence is quite good! I hope their body work is too!

Wow! That is my baby. Your social media presence isn't bad, either.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:08 am

Its hard to match as the VW paint (Sage Green, Chrome Yellow, Nepal Orange) have such a mix of colors. When I painted the 914 the paint was expensive as it has so much red and yellow pigment which is expensive. The Sage Green Westy I got the color mix from Scott at German Supply after he spent several attempts to "get it right" with all the green and yellow in it. It's a dead on match in the interior paint. Most green Westy's I see don't have enough yellow in them so it looks dull.
Yes, these color analyzers get you close but not right on with VW vintage colors so it has the brightness the original colors had.

One day I'll strip and repaint the 'vert Ghia as I hate the black ( two repaints at Earl Schibe) and return it to Signal Orange or maybe Blood Orange.

Hopefully they will repaint the entire back quarter of the Westy so it matches nicely. Getting a new bumper or having it straightened and painted? The repop's are way thinner....
I'd get those rubber inserts for the bumpers as it has made a huge difference for me in that now people smacking into the bumper when parking hit the rubber and don't chip off the paint. I was getting pissed and having to repair the bumper paint every couple of years from people chipping the paint from hitting it from parallel parking.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Bleyseng wrote:Its hard to match as the VW paint (Sage Green, Chrome Yellow, Nepal Orange) have such a mix of colors. When I painted the 914 the paint was expensive as it has so much red and yellow pigment which is expensive. The Sage Green Westy I got the color mix from Scott at German Supply after he spent several attempts to "get it right" with all the green and yellow in it. It's a dead on match in the interior paint. Most green Westy's I see don't have enough yellow in them so it looks dull.
Yes, these color analyzers get you close but not right on with VW vintage colors so it has the brightness the original colors had.

One day I'll strip and repaint the 'vert Ghia as I hate the black ( two repaints at Earl Schibe) and return it to Signal Orange or maybe Blood Orange.

Hopefully they will repaint the entire back quarter of the Westy so it matches nicely. Getting a new bumper or having it straightened and painted? The repop's are way thinner....
I'd get those rubber inserts for the bumpers as it has made a huge difference for me in that now people smacking into the bumper when parking hit the rubber and don't chip off the paint. I was getting pissed and having to repair the bumper paint every couple of years from people chipping the paint from hitting it from parallel parking.
This bumper is being re-worked.

The paint match issue is up there at the top of My Goals.

Big black rubber inserts are a total Not Happening.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:01 am

October 2, 2016
wcfvw69 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Biggest problem according the guy is the paint match.
ColinInTennessee
I'm calling bullshit on that.
December 3, 2016
Bleyseng wrote:Its hard to match as the VW paint (Sage Green, Chrome Yellow, Nepal Orange) have such a mix of colors. The Sage Green Westy I got the color mix from Scott at German Supply after he spent several attempts to "get it right" with all the green and yellow in it. It's a dead on match in the interior paint. Most green Westy's I see don't have enough yellow in them so it looks dull.

Hopefully they will repaint the entire back quarter of the Westy so it matches nicely.

Update. The body shop is having a hellacious time with the paint match. I am not surprised, and no, it never was "bullshit", wcf69vw. These colors (yes, just a single stage) are complex. They can look fine in one light and off in another. There is a riot of underlying piments all waiting for their particular lighting. As seen elsewhere on this site, I nailed a match myself a few times, only to find that it changed dramatically and horribly in another light. Ask weisswurst, he saw it and he played with it with one of his change-a-mood disco ball LED illuminators.

I expect to have the car back in my possession in early January. Jivermo, VW Treasure, Againes503, white74westy, weisswurst, manaman, any or all of youse, please feel free to jump in with an appointment request so I can buy and install a new canvas in NaranjaWesty in the month of February down in FLorida.
ColinColdCummingGaLastDayof2016

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:10 am

Sure, Colin...anytime you want, with the exception of Feb. 5th-12th. I have a commitment. You are welcome to do the work here, cottage, etc. We'll figure out what I need to do on mine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:16 am

Jivermo wrote:Sure, Colin...anytime you want, with the exception of Feb. 5th-12th. I have a commitment. You are welcome to do the work here, cottage, etc. We'll figure out what I need to do on mine.
A Warning For All 2017 Itinerary Customers:

a) ever more focused on us stepping up our game
b) newly aware that ye shall pay dearly for this exceptional gift of a house calling mechanic!
( - minus a credit for those moments where you discover the limitations of a house-calling mechanic!!)

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Update. The body shop is having a hellacious time with the paint match. I am not surprised, and no, it never was "bullshit", wcf69vw. These colors (yes, just a single stage) are complex. They can look fine in one light and off in another. There is a riot of underlying piments all waiting for their particular lighting. As seen elsewhere on this site, I nailed a match myself a few times, only to find that it changed dramatically and horribly in another light. Ask weisswurst, he saw it and he played with it with one of his change-a-mood disco ball LED illuminators.
No kidding! I couldn't even get my "professional" digital camera arsenal to get one "correct" picture of my old '76 bus' original paint. Every single digital photo, no matter the light or white balance setting, completely lacked the subtle "green" in the factory Oceanblau mixture. In daylight the car was borderline teal, but looked to be "Road Warrior Blue" on camera.

The seventies was a fantastic time for Volkswagen color, says the punk with the 2008 Mazda Mixture Bus.
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Colin, I wish you would have taken one of my stage wash led lights now for paint testing purposes with them!
I am concerned and wish you luck sir! You are welcome here at the farm and I even cleaned out the building since you were here too.
Also thinking of thinning the diesel herd a bit here :oops: come and talk me out of it!
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:38 pm

weisswurst wrote:Also thinking of thinning the diesel herd a bit here :oops: come and talk me out of it!
If that lovely Vanatruck is on the thinning list, I call it!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:02 pm

weisswurst wrote:Colin, I wish you would have taken one of my stage wash led lights now for paint testing purposes with them!
I am concerned and wish you luck sir! You are welcome here at the farm and I even cleaned out the building since you were here too.
Also thinking of thinning the diesel herd a bit here :oops: come and talk me out of it!
Which member of the herd do you plan to "process"?

And I shall be doing some lighting tests with mercury vapor and halogen and incadescent.
Rear bumper looks excellent; Photos to come.
ColinVanabacon

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 am

Amskeptic wrote:

And I shall be doing some lighting tests with mercury vapor and halogen and incadescent.
Rear bumper looks excellent; Photos to come.
ColinVanabacon
we are thinking about keeping only my namesake and our first love the Weisswurst, I have enough spare parts to keep her little 1.6NA diesel going for just about forever!

So that would leave the bone stock Currywurst 7passenger 1.6NA (your favorite), the totally stock singlecab farm truck the Sinka 1.6NA and the military double cab 1.9TD possibly up on the auction block. Both vana-trucks (as quoted here) have proper stock tilt canopies on them as well.
I would like to secure a Unimog farm truck first of course, I found one in Indiana ready to go from a reputable seller just need to figure out transport to Homosassa. This seller has sold and reconditioned over 50 unimogs in the past years.
Speaking of transport all my vanagons already have four wheel down towing kits welded to the frame so they can be pulled by any 2" receiver on a pickup truck for ease of transport and transaction to their new home (can't believe I am typing this..) :pale:
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
weisswurst wrote: Also thinking of thinning the diesel herd a bit here :oops: come and talk me out of it!
Oh, boy, could 2017 be the year of the diesel-Vanagon Itinerant tour? :bounce:
Hey, c'mon, you know you want a Vanagon and a Splitty to serve as book-ends for your stable of Bay Windows.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:30 pm

I couldn't do a pre-'68 bus on a cross-country tour after my jaunt in a hyper-comfy and ergonomically delicious bay window. Of course, the Vanagon is even more to my liking in that department, but they don't respond as lovingly to little roadside projects that I think Colin would miss too dearly.

That being said, a few friends on mine are replacing their left head gasket in the Alaskan snow right now. I'm sure Colin would love those working conditions… :pirate:
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.