Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From California

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

luftvagon
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From California

Post by luftvagon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
luftvagon wrote:Colin, what is your steady state cruise AFR like? If WOT is 12.1, what is your steady state cruise like?
My WOT is now 11.3 to 11.9 at 55 mph, and temps will get up to 430*f on a hill climb.
Steady state cruise at 60 mph is 12.3-12.7
Timing is now retarded to 25* BTDC @ 3,400 rpm.

Running out of adjustment options.
Colin
Ouch! That's really rich -- adding more fuel to the fire. Have you tried leaning it out?
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Diet Coke in-flight explosion..that some classic pilotting drama ! maybe thats how the Audi ended up in the bushes ?
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:19 am

Once warm, my idle at 1K is 12.2. my WOT is 10.7, part throttle cruise is around 11.8.

If I hit the highway and start pushing 75mph, ill switch over to the potentiometer and drop the cruising mixture down to 10.0 at 3900/4000 rpm, which keeps my head temps just under 400*

yes, its rich, but it keeps my heads happy.

(my normal city driving setup is to use the factory O2 79CA sensor setup, which sets my part throttle cruise around 13.7 and idle around 13.3
I can easily hit 400* with this setup at 50mph in the city, but it doesn't go up past this point so Im happy with that. )
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:51 pm

airkooledchris wrote:Once warm, my idle at 1K is 12.2. my WOT is 10.7, part throttle cruise is around 11.8.

If I hit the highway and start pushing 75mph, ill switch over to the potentiometer and drop the cruising mixture down to 10.0 at 3900/4000 rpm, which keeps my head temps just under 400*

yes, its rich, but it keeps my heads happy.
Radio Shack, here I come. Currently at 12.5 mid-throttle, 14.1 light throttle, 22+ off-throttle, 12.0 full throttle, 420* on any hill.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:41 pm

I can't say with any proof that this is true but it feels like it would be. With the timing so retarded and the mixture so rich, you have to be sending burning fuel down the exhaust stack. It doesn't peak the EGT like a lean mixture would but can't be good for the exhaust guides and rings. Is your EGR functional? It adds inert gasses back to the incoming charge so that the burn temp falls. Inside the plenum there is a tube that can get clogged so that the egr looks to be working but the tube doesn't disperse the gasses evenly. That said - when it is 100+ out like it is and a bus is near sea level, it is at max compression which means more heat per stroke than at elevation. I see it too with my 2L but I can't go richer due to smog or ruining the catalytic with all that raw fuel. There would be a cherry glow at night under that corner of the bus, probably enough to cook dinner with before it cools off - if one doesn't mind the smell of burning automotive paint. This is probably one of the rare times when water injection would pay off by lowering the compression ratio. Also the type of plug would probably have some effect because a colder plug lets more heat soak to the head which means the sending ring. My head temps dropped a little when I started using the sending ring and a plug compression washer. I probably have some spares if you already cut the washer off. Also you can use the glass bead machine to clean any spare plug sets you have while you are here.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:40 pm

I believe EGR was introduced to put a lid on NOx during lean hot burn

as an aside...what condition would cause very hot exhaust, with normal, acceptrable oil temp/dipstick temps.?..this is what i have currently...and seems out of balance
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:13 am

dingo wrote:I believe EGR was introduced to put a lid on NOx during lean hot burn
as an aside...what condition would cause very hot exhaust, with normal, acceptrable oil temp/dipstick temps.?..this is what i have currently...and seems out of balance

EGR was introduced to reduce peak combustion temps from like 2,000* down to 1,500*. I never did find a material reduction in CHT readings due to the use of EGR when I experimented with the BobD.

NaranjaWesty no longer has an EGR filter, and thus no EGR capability.

I do so very look forward to removing the gas tank on Sunday afternoon at SG Kent's house.
ColinTasteOfGasEarlyInTheMorning

pdlrofdrms
Getting Hooked!

Post by pdlrofdrms » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:02 pm

I will take pictures soon! But window went in no problem! Did the Para cord method reused window rubber. Just cleaned it really good. It was only 4 years old.

I had a lot of fun.
Next mission.
Center Pin!

Wish me luck. Thanks Colin!

I always look forward to your visits.

@aircooledchris

I need to come by soon.
Have a great rest of your trip! I will be following the stories.
:-)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 pm

pdlrofdrms wrote:I will take pictures soon! But window went in no problem! Did the Para cord method reused window rubber. Just cleaned it really good. It was only 4 years old.

I had a lot of fun.
Next mission.
Center Pin!

Wish me luck. Thanks Colin!

I always look forward to your visits.

@aircooledchris

I need to come by soon.
Have a great rest of your trip! I will be following the stories.
:-)
See? She just gets it done . . .

Good luck with the center pin. I am up to my neck in spring plate bushings and torsion bar resetting and camber adjustment in a bunch of pine needles.
Colin