2016 Itinerary Now Done 11/19

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 04/19

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm

airkooledchris wrote:I slacked for a long time unfortunately, and may have to miss out for the first time in 7 years.... I was just on the fence as I had just been laid off prior to my last visit and only just started training into a new local job now

If time permitted, id even take a half day to do a little wiper refresh (I use my bus daily now as my work transportation) - but there is a good writeup on it and I *suppose* I could tackle it unassisted. :P
You are one of the Founding Patrons, we can work something out.
Hey, did you hear I am reel gud with wiper switches and detents and stuff.
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:41 pm

asiab3 wrote:WooHoo! In addition to the "Main Lap Prep" threads, I love the map post every year! I'm also bummed the Google changed their Massive Road Trip Planning Features, but I suppose we'll survive. Is there a way to show minimum milage, or approximate minimum driving time like on other Google maps tools?
Thanks! Incidentally, my negativismitude in the post originated with Google Maps, not with any obligation I feel toward making a map. I'd make maps all day if they'd let me. This is an annual excuse to make a 'big' map.

That said, I don't know how to show those things you asked about. I'll try to figure it out for 2017.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:38 pm

whc03grady wrote:
asiab3 wrote:WooHoo! In addition to the "Main Lap Prep" threads, I love the map post every year! I'm also bummed the Google changed their Massive Road Trip Planning Features, but I suppose we'll survive. Is there a way to show minimum milage, or approximate minimum driving time like on other Google maps tools?
Thanks! Incidentally, my negativismitude in the post originated with Google Maps, not with any obligation I feel toward making a map. I'd make maps all day if they'd let me. This is an annual excuse to make a 'big' map.

That said, I don't know how to show those things you asked about. I'll try to figure it out for 2017.
I liked your condensed elevation map of 2012 was it? It looked like a seismograph output. That was a Chloe drum brake lap.
Colin

tommu
Old School!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/14

Post by tommu » Mon May 02, 2016 4:57 pm

asiab3 wrote:
tommu wrote:Would that be a job for a friendly local machine shop? Any idea where to go around here?
perhaps you should start a new thread and we can blather on about where to visit and where to avoid for VW machine work in Southern California. The variations in what pressure plates are made these days can be eye-watering.
I just placed an order with Rimco for a Sachs pressure plate, forged stock 4 dowel flywheel and balancing them together. Then I re-visited the forum. I hope I didn't do these things in the wrong order..

I will open a new thread on my slight hesitation on pull away..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 02/14

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 02, 2016 9:50 pm

tommu wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
tommu wrote:Would that be a job for a friendly local machine shop? Any idea where to go around here?
perhaps you should start a new thread and we can blather on about where to visit and where to avoid for VW machine work in Southern California. The variations in what pressure plates are made these days can be eye-watering.
I just placed an order with Rimco for a Sachs pressure plate, forged stock 4 dowel flywheel and balancing them together. Then I re-visited the forum. I hope I didn't do these things in the wrong order..

I will open a new thread on my slight hesitation on pull away..
Your order is fine. You have shrunk considerably since last summer, according to your avatar.
Colin

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 05/01

Post by whc03grady » Tue May 03, 2016 11:49 am

Amskeptic wrote:I liked your condensed elevation map of 2012 was it? It looked like a seismograph output. That was a Chloe drum brake lap.
Colin
Due to my frustrations creating maps in Google's new tool, this isn't chronological.
The high parts (dk blue, above 5,000') are in Montana Atlanticward and Pacificward of the Great Divide, and that higher cluster is around Los Alamos--traditionally the highest section of the itinerary.
Also shown is that the route is 9,151 miles long. Given that a few pieces are missing and that Colin consistently wanders off track, a total of 10,000 miles is a reasonable figure. So take that 10,000 miles, note that the route's elevation span is 7748.2 feet, a variance of 0.0146746%. That's equivalent to driving across a billiard table with an up/down variance of 0.5786 mm, corner pocket to corner pocket--in a really small bus, of course. The world is a very smooth place. (Not surprising, as the universe demands it be so.)
Moreover, all this driving means Naranja will cover her (his?) own length 35,571,590 or so times, on average 26,654 times on each of the itinerary's 134 days. Excluding complicating issues like turning, exact tire specs, and tire wear, each of her wheels will revolve 7,904,192 times, 58,967 times a day on average.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:58 pm

whc03grady wrote: Moreover, all this driving means Naranja will cover her (his?) own length 35,571,590 or so times, on average 26,654 times on each of the itinerary's 134 days. Excluding complicating issues like turning, exact tire specs, and tire wear, each of her wheels will revolve 7,904,192 times, 58,967 times a day on average.

My respect for tires and wheel bearings grows every day.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 03, 2016 8:05 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I liked your condensed elevation map of 2012 was it? It looked like a seismograph output. That was a Chloe drum brake lap.
Colin

Also shown is that the route is 9,151 miles long. Given that a few pieces are missing and that Colin consistently wanders off track, a total of 10,000 miles is a reasonable figure.
Double that. I really wander . . .
whc03grady wrote: So take that 10,000 miles, note that the route's elevation span is 7748.2 feet, a variance of 0.0146746%. That's equivalent to driving across a billiard table with an up/down variance of 0.5786 mm, corner pocket to corner pocket--in a really small bus, of course. The world is a very smooth place. (Not surprising, as the universe demands it be so.)
I hear that Planet Earth is more perfectly round than anything we can currently make.
whc03grady wrote: Moreover, all this driving means Naranja will cover her (his?) own length 35,571,590 or so times, on average 26,654 times on each of the itinerary's 134 days. Excluding complicating issues like turning, exact tire specs, and tire wear, each of her wheels will revolve 7,904,192 times, 58,967 times a day on average.
Which means the exhaust valves will slam shut about 15,808,384 times and the breaker points will have opened and closed just about 31,616,768 times, if I stay within your mileage estimate.
Discovering metal in the soil has been most useful, a shout-out to our Bronze Age buds . . .
Colin

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed May 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I hear that Planet Earth is more perfectly round than anything we can currently make.
It's pretty round and smooth--smoother than a billiard ball but, I think, less round (i.e., more oblate). The most spherical natural object is, of course the Sun: its polar diameter and its equatorial diameter differ by only 6.21 miles--keep in mind its mean diameter is about 864,576 miles. Larger stars are probably more perfectly spherical yet.
But we've made something rounder than either, amazingly.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I hear that Planet Earth is more perfectly round than anything we can currently make.
It's pretty round and smooth--smoother than a billiard ball but, I think, less round (i.e., more oblate).
But we've made something rounder than either, amazingly.
They say pear shaped down here on the street, but I had no idea we had actually made a superior sphere to such a superior degree.
That silicone ball blown up to Earth size would have mountains and valleys of less than 14 meters? ye gods.

whc03grady wrote: The most spherical natural object is, of course the Sun: its polar diameter and its equatorial diameter differ by only 6.21 miles--keep in mind its mean diameter is about 864,576 miles. Larger stars are probably more perfectly spherical yet.
This is the the reason I like being alive today . . . Science..
Colin

sgkent
Addicted!

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 05/04

Post by sgkent » Fri May 06, 2016 4:12 pm

Which means the exhaust valves will slam shut about 15,808,384 times and the breaker points will have opened and closed just about 31,616,768 times, if I stay within your mileage estimate. ... Colin

Gee Colin - you sound like Lindbergh crossing the Atlantic on the way to Le Bourget

"Oh...
You tell me. Sixteenth hour. Seventeen hundred miles back into yesterday, back to New York. Here there's nothing,nothing but the sound of the engine. It's turning 1,625 revolutions a minute. That's more than 800 explosions every minute in every cylinder. How many explosions in nine cylinders? That's 7,000 a minute. That's almost half a million an hour. There's 20 hours to go, ten million explosions. Ten million blasts of white-hot flame against red-hot metal before I land. How can an engine stand such torture? What if a cylinder cracks, a valve stuck, a bearing burned out? I only have to make it through this night.Tomorrow will take care of itself
"
- Jimmy Stewart as Charles Lindbergh crossing the Atlantic.

TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 05/19

Post by rallybug » Thu May 19, 2016 2:02 pm

I wish that I could've joined in again this year, but too many expenses - new baby in the house and having to keep money back for probable new suspension on all four corners of the daily driver.

On the flip side, some more money has been spent on Harvee - rust issues for the windshield, middle row driver side window, and back row driver side window repaired, new German rubber for those, plus rust around passenger side headlamp and surround also done. He might be close to being watertight now! I just need to get some new washer hose, and fit that along with the new twin-nozzle washer jets (from GoWesty) to finish off - hopefully have the bus back this weekend, and then he'll be my DD for the summer/fall.

Oh, and Colin - remember that lovely foam behind the kick panels causing the headlamp bowl rust? Same stuff was behind the middle row interior panel on the driver's side, so I have no doubt that there's more behind the back row panels, and probably the sliding door panel!
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 05/19

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 19, 2016 3:08 pm

rallybug wrote:I wish that I could've joined in again this year, but too many expenses - new baby in the house and having to keep money back for probable new suspension on all four corners of the daily driver.

On the flip side, some more money has been spent on Harvee - rust issues for the windshield, middle row driver side window, and back row driver side window repaired, new German rubber for those, plus rust around passenger side headlamp and surround also done. He might be close to being watertight now! I just need to get some new washer hose, and fit that along with the new twin-nozzle washer jets (from GoWesty) to finish off - hopefully have the bus back this weekend, and then he'll be my DD for the summer/fall.

Oh, and Colin - remember that lovely foam behind the kick panels causing the headlamp bowl rust? Same stuff was behind the middle row interior panel on the driver's side, so I have no doubt that there's more behind the back row panels, and probably the sliding door panel!

Enjoy that growing menagerie, I will miss my Salt Lake City traverse, beautiful area.

Yes, I remember that repellent repulsive foam, and I am glad you are getting rid of it.
Dual washer jets, you rich people and your fancy equipment that the rest of us can only dream of . . .
Colin

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 05/20

Post by rallybug » Fri May 20, 2016 10:48 am

Hopefully you'll be back here next year...
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

Globespotter
I'm New!

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 05/23

Post by Globespotter » Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 am

Sent you a PM Colin. Hoping to set up an appointment in October for the first time for my 'new' 77 Westy.

- Doug