2016 Itinerary Now Done 11/19

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 08/11 *

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:08 am

ScottLasVegas wrote:Colin,
Any chance on that Vegas pit stop happening at the end of the month?

Scott

(edit: just read up on the next post that all itinerant scheduling is on hold until gas tank is figured out, hope it gets sorted quickly and easily. If not this year, definitely want to get into the mix for next year's scheduling.)
We need to make it happen somehow. Are you flexible?
Please send List Of Concerns from most-important to least-important to my PM inbox.
ColinInTheForest
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Re: * 2016 Itinerary upd 08/11 *

Post by ScottLasVegas » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 pm

rad, definitely flexible on dates, so whatever shakes out best for you, I can work out on my end. I will shoot you a PM with a list of concerns.

Thanks again. PM Sent.
79 Riviera CA FI

Kirk
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 09/10

Post by Kirk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:51 am

Dadgum it. Wish I had thought to check in earlier, would have loved to have you swing by and take a look at Bear on your way to Austin this time (I'm in Dallas). Maybe I'll catch you next time.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:39 am

Kirk wrote:Dadgum it. Wish I had thought to check in earlier, would have loved to have you swing by and take a look at Bear on your way to Austin this time (I'm in Dallas). Maybe I'll catch you next time.
Send List Of Concerns to my PM box.

September 19th or the more preferred September 23 . . . :cyclopsani:
Colin??

Kirk
I'm New!

Post by Kirk » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:28 am

Can do! The 19th would be perfect! Incoming message.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 09/17

Post by Jivermo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:26 am

Man, where does the time go? Seems like Colin was just here, refinishing Naranja's fiberglass Westy top in the cramped confines of the barn. He's vamoosed out of New Mexico, one of my favorite places, and will be back in my neck of the woods in just about a month. Whoa, what to do, What to do? Got to get busy on my list of things to do with my bus! Window operator maintenance, and putting the door panels back in, check end play on this seemingly good running Adrian rebuild...I know that once we get into it, the day becomes filled, the unknowns get revealed, and the mysteries of the air cooled emerge from the mists.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 09/17

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 am

Jivermo wrote:Man, where does the time go? Seems like Colin was just here, refinishing Naranja's fiberglass Westy top in the cramped confines of the barn. He's vamoosed out of New Mexico, one of my favorite places, and will be back in my neck of the woods in just about a month. Whoa, what to do, What to do? Got to get busy on my list of things to do with my bus! Window operator maintenance, and putting the door panels back in, check end play on this seemingly good running Adrian rebuild...I know that once we get into it, the day becomes filled, the unknowns get revealed, and the mysteries of the air cooled emerge from the mists.
The ever-increasing velocity of time tickles my hands and feet like the momentary loss of steering on icy downhills . . .
Colin

Filthy Dub
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 09/28

Post by Filthy Dub » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Still planning on visiting us North Floridians at the end of this month?
1971 Westy Bay Window Bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Filthy Dub wrote:Still planning on visiting us North Floridians at the end of this month?
I think you all need to be first dibs in 2017.

"You all" includes white74westy, who may hate me forever for not driving into San Francisco and boxing up and sending a bus hitch to him from the seller in San Francisco who refused to box it up and send it himself. Well, I couldn't do it. I was exactly in the middle of fuel tank hell.
Never heard from white74westy since . . .
Colin :pale:

Filthy Dub
I'm New!

Post by Filthy Dub » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 am

Amskeptic wrote: I think you all need to be first dibs in 2017.

Haha I wouldn't expect that from him ... he just seems very busy with life and hasn't had much time to do anything VW related. But ok I was hoping it would be early fall, but whenever you're near put me down for a visit!
1971 Westy Bay Window Bus

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:43 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Filthy Dub wrote:Still planning on visiting us North Floridians at the end of this month?

"You all" includes white74westy, who may hate me forever for not driving into San Francisco and boxing up and sending a bus hitch to him from the seller in San Francisco who refused to box it up and send it himself. Well, I couldn't do it. I was exactly in the middle of fuel tank hell.

He was so happy to get that fuel tank fixed he couldn't wait to bail. Any port in a storm I guess.... or maybe it was my snoring. We even air conditioned the garage for him because we knew how much he hated the heat, and forced him to wash all the gasoline out of his clothes. If someone had lit a match near him after that fuel tank hell .... Sarah the scottie even accepted Colin as part of the pack. I had to break it to her that he was gone. She was heart broken. Timmy the scottie just laughed and said, "Guys are like that. Get over it." Then to show his appreciation Tim lifted his leg on the spot where Colin had gone outside to paint. Oh well. Life has good and bad days. Still have a laundry list of things to do on my bus when my back feels better.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:30 am

sgkent wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

He was so happy to get that fuel tank fixed he couldn't wait to bail. Any port in a storm I guess.... or maybe it was my snoring. We even air conditioned the garage for him because we knew how much he hated the heat, and forced him to wash all the gasoline out of his clothes. If someone had lit a match near him after that fuel tank hell .... Sarah the scottie even accepted Colin as part of the pack. I had to break it to her that he was gone. She was heart broken. Timmy the scottie just laughed and said, "Guys are like that. Get over it." Then to show his appreciation Tim lifted his leg on the spot where Colin had gone outside to paint. Oh well. Life has good and bad days. Still have a laundry list of things to do on my bus when my back feels better.
Perhaps we can get to your laundry list next year now that my laundry list has been whittled down.

The gas tank / pump / filter has now processed another 450 or so gallons without a lick of trouble.
Colin

white74westy
I'm New!

Post by white74westy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Filthy Dub wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I think you all need to be first dibs in 2017.

Haha I wouldn't expect that from him ... he just seems very busy with life and hasn't had much time to do anything VW related. But ok I was hoping it would be early fall, but whenever you're near put me down for a visit!
Amskeptic...you mad bro??? I think that's what the kids say these days. All good over here! :thumbleft: :salute: Filthy Dub nailed it...been terribly busy!

Just glad you finally got the gas tank sorted out. I"m going to have to dig out the sneaky picture of you (kinda like the ones you're apt to take of us, poor, unsuspecting souls, while on your itinerant travels). You know, the one where you were telling me about how you'd only had to blow out the fuel line like 50 times since you'd picked up the bus, shortly after we broke down at the intersection? I suspect it was caused by the bone-jarring bumps that preceded that intersection.Image
In fairness, I do remember telling you how impressed I was with the efficiency, with which you dispatched the offending particles. I also seem to remember saying something about you being terribly stubborn. Hard to believe that was all the way back in March!!! Where has the year gone???

By the way, what's with the public shaming...calling a brother out on the forum like that? You're harshing my buzz man! :bootyshake:

Look forward to hearing from/seeing you soon!

a.

Globespotter
I'm New!

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 10/18

Post by Globespotter » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:11 pm

Hey Colin, I thought you were going to post a photos of my needle bearing pieces - did Jeff not send it to you?

Thanks for all your wisdom, crustiness, work and social interaction (not necessarily in that order).

The Globespotter bus is an enigma as you observed. Maybe that is it's new name - Enigma - I kind of like that.

noun, plural enigmas; Chiefly Archaic, enigmata
[uh-nig-muh-tuh] (
1. a puzzling or inexplicable occurrence or situation.

That sounds about perfect for her.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2016 Itinerary upd 10/18

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Globespotter wrote:Hey Colin, I thought you were going to post a photos of my needle bearing pieces - did Jeff not send it to you?

Thanks for all your wisdom, crustiness, work and social interaction (not necessarily in that order).

The Globespotter bus is an enigma as you observed. Maybe that is it's new name - Enigma - I kind of like that.

noun, plural enigmas; Chiefly Archaic, enigmata
[uh-nig-muh-tuh] (
1. a puzzling or inexplicable occurrence or situation.

That sounds about perfect for her.

I have the photograph. I AM going to post updates.

Since we last saw each other, I have survived:
* five hundred more miles,
* four drug addicts on an all-night blow-out crash my favorite camp-site lighting a fire at 7:00AM next to my bus for yucks,
*a pair of Chevy pick-up drunks blasting their shotguns into the night one canal or ditch over from where I was camping,
"HAYYYYHEH, THAG ISH SUSH A AWESOME VEHICK..VEHICLE . . . "
* another appointment down in Naples where I am wholly on the hook for suggesting an engine teardown on a 0-mile rebuild (and I will have to drive right the hell back down there if my diagnosis is wrong)

I have not survived my anxiety regarding this election, and have become a news junkie.
Colin