2014 Results Just In!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: 2014 Results Just In!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote: …I have expressed the idea that we are a ladder here, those just a couple of rungs above the questioner were encouraged to answer because there really is additional learning in composing a cogent answer.
This. This is so important in the comprehension of new ideas. I've always understood something better when trying to explain it. If I can explain something complex to a fifth grader, chances are I really understand it. :study:
Any ideas on how to make it easier on beginners?
What can we do to make the site more accessible? I'd be happy to redo the search tags, what can be done on theSamba?
I think much of this depends on the direction you want the site and/or service to go. Do you want to attract more people who are potential bus owners and walk them through the baby steps of care? Middle-ground folks who used to pay a mechanic but want to be more self-reliant? Die-hard bus owners who won't let anyone else touch their car but need guidance? Is growing the site or growing the business more important? Do you even want either of those? :scratch:
What would it be like if I was competing with another traveling VW consultant?
That's the key word for me. Friends help friends work on cars all over the country, but not many can honestly teach the hows and whys of what we're doing. I would never dream of letting someone else blindly work on my bus, let alone pay them! But to me gaining knowledge and observing aptitude are priceless.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:30 am

IAC has raised/restored my sense of self critiquing in things written and conceptual clarity when posting, :scratch: which is crazy great take away for merely usering a website!
Gathering opinion largely from one vetted source, sure there is occassional chiming in (a +), just sits better with me.
Samba is alot less vertically structured THAT way.More of a scrum at times, took a little getting used to. but it was very useful as I carefully (blindly yet obediently) backed into BUS caretakership back in 2005.
I found Greenwood, Desertbusman,RANDY inmaine,a few of the many shining stars,quite a few unmentioned, Bleysing I recall consulting with some stuff.The aircraft Mech in Wassawilla AK, the ex race mech up in Nor Cal. Guys were so helpful with parts. So there you have a more broad type of response. A broader blast if you will,perhaps just catches more target. But that is traffic growing,maybe not %of q u a l -I t y outcomes. There is a statistic to spread sheet?
Filthy Lucre
I teeter,and toy as to engage or not to engage the traveling man's services.
So far these thoughts seem to bloom while I have pushed back normal maintenance. So I dismiss the thought path as stress induced,by lack of periodic Bus+Car attention. As some items are just not getting done,by year's end reassessment is in order.
As I wrote already Colin rasied the bar for me, and I have not even hired him..so. this website obviously is a favorite for me,since it is a Vertical construct.
One skillset I would probably pay for polishing up (oops hint) is the Colin guerrilla autobody tactics. The only problem is the tutorial here is so thorough. Reading it till my mobile phone clutching fingers go numb suffices to get me motorvated..Just have to slot in some time and Im good. Well not a master, but at least I can undertake with some confidence,a critical area where close is not good enough. Samba or Mayor R.atwell didn't close that technique gap. The guy with those seventies shorts did. But who needs to hire the aforementioned smart bloke if his website tutorial is good? I think IAC is a bit more thorough,possibly call it master level?
So that there could be a typical scenario for NOT hiring our fearless leader.
Conversly...convincing,personal testimony,I heard from the local 'Feller Montclair NJ who had Colin by for a?"hellovaday+?" day, and raved positives so energetically. Still has me thinking.
I owe it to what I don't know that I don't know to try a visit. There I said it. I owe it to what I Don't Know What I Don't Know. A bumper sticker.

I recommend the IAC website. I still go WOW! REALLY for the model of Colin,Country lapping man and van.
I will wrestle with the "DKWIDK" angle to book a 2015 visit and see if it gets me out of lurker mode :-) or,mere "user" mode.
Merry Christmas yall,but I will continue to try to look for life's gifts for the other 364.?days. You guys help!//Eric
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:04 am

poptop tom wrote:I'm betting I'll be back on in '15. I wish my referrals were more fruitful for you.
I want to drive your bus again, and really try to exercise the Dakota Digital gauge a bit more.
You referred vwtopia to me. That was a potential pool of five cars right there . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:08 am

lilpig88 wrote:I tend to follow most of the bus-related information on this forum (and free speech is always a pleasure), and it says something about the information already here that I've rarely had to post (if ever) a question through a rebuild project and beyond...

maybe I should comment more often from the peanut gallery so you know I'm here.

The information is accessible and the written voice is enjoyable!

still here,
Andrew
Feel free to participate however and wherever you wish. If you do not have questions, you can post photographs and brags. I bragged once . . . I said, "I put in a headliner all by myself." Posted photographs, too. Then all hell broke loose with leaky windows.
ColinDousedInlaGrangeGeorgiaThisMorning

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:41 am

wcfvw69 wrote: Being a "newb" to this site, I will also echo what the others have said. Most of the new posts I've read in the past couple of months on here are of the "advanced" knowledge type of mechanical questions. There doesn't seem to be much or any volume of the"entry" level type of VW questions that are so prevalent on The Samba. I've worked on and been around these old VW's for 40 plus years so the advanced knowledge is helpful to me while it might intimidate other newbies to the air cooled VW world.
I need to find newbie questions around here to see how we respond to them. If a newbie is intimidated by a deep technical question and they are sitting on an elemental question, how does the site invite them in but that the newbie has to screw up the courage to ask their question? I can tell you that nobody here answers questions with scorn or contempt or "use the search". We have a reputation (!) for being nice to people here . . . DON'T WE?
wcfvw69 wrote: ** When someone new joins and posts a question here, one of the mods or Colin could/should make them feel welcome and comfortable with a "glad to have you as part of this forum" reply. I'm personally very extroverted in nature. I find that most people (especially mechanics) are not. People want to feel apart of something.
Your first post was November 7th at 5:22PM. Answered at 7:18PM. Dialogue established . . . :flower:
wcfvw69 wrote: ** This site can and does feel a bit like a "clique". It appears that most of the active members know each other or know Colin or have used Colin. This can feel/be intimidating to the less thick skinned or confident people.
I have heard this before, and I still do not understand it. It is true that some people here have been here for eight years, and we know each other back to 2002 when theSamba was still yellow and blue stripes. So yes we have familiarity and friendship. Can't be avoided. But new people can walk right in! They can introduce themselves and become part of the fabric as they wish. Like asia3b. Joined January 29, 2013 at 11:27 pm. Just made himself right at home in here. Can someone define "clique" and explain how it happens where it happens and how it presents itself as an impediment here. I do not see the age-old Samba ganging up on some hapless new soul visiting here. Never seen it here. Need an example.
wcfvw69 wrote: ** I'm surprise by the amount of "political commentary" on this site compared to The Samba. It appears to be very liberal as well. This can also turn people off and I know I can tire of reading about someone blathering on about this view point or that view point or other rhetoric.. Personally, I think it needs to be turned down a few notches. I'm on this site to learn, discuss or share all things VW, not read about someones view points on all the negative crap going on in the world or in politics. There's plenty of other sites if I want to get pissed, depressed or angry about the shortfalls in our society. I have no doubt that this has turned other "past" participants off from this site.
From the Mission Statement:
We are not afraid of social commentary, politics, or religion here. We are citizens first, hobbyists second. We invite you to participate using your advanced adult behavior skill set. The people who are drawn to air-cooled VWs now, as way back then, tend to appreciate quality and charm in a unique package that still falls well outside of the conventional box. You will find that much of our Free Speech commentary follows the above recipe. Enjoy the diversity. Keep your emotional triggers at home.
I take this citizenship seriously. We humans have been hashing out some serious issues for thousands of years. Many have died in the pursuit of civility. In this country alone, we used to have strikes and demonstrations in the streets as part of our daily lives. Only recently have we become seemingly passive.
Free Speech is a forum that is available but not mandatory. Don't let it throw you. Neither I or anyone else who converses there should be judged for our involvement with the issues of the day, and more importantly, our political views should not in any way detract from friendships. There are people here whose friendship I cherish with the additional benefit that they hash it out with me from the other side of the political continuum. That is more scintillating and challenging than preaching to the choir. Or getting preached from the choir. Or singing the same ol hymn . . . :cyclopsani:

wcfvw69 wrote: ** One thing I've noticed being on The Samba for 10 years is the mods have done a much better job in toning down their sarcasm or smart ass replies to members in the forums. They've also policed the perpetual jerks much better to including banning some of them. This had made their site more friendly in nature and less intimidating to new members there.
They learned of a gentler way from us here . . . that's my story, and I am sticking to it.
Why, I think we had a perpetual jerk here once.
PerceptualJerk :king:

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:52 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:I'm betting I'll be back on in '15. I wish my referrals were more fruitful for you.
I want to drive your bus again, and really try to exercise the Dakota Digital gauge a bit more.
You referred vwtopia to me. That was a potential pool of five cars right there . . .
Colin
Hahaha! Oh, I exercised the DD gauge (CHT) on the return trip from FLA last month. (will tell that story after I enjoy the holidays).

There are still VW drivin' folks around here that need some tutelage from an esteemed VW guy such as yourself! Not for lack of effort on my part - I've bragged your Itinerant many a time! Maybe I need a new sales pitch!

Happy Holidays,

Tom
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 am

Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote: ** This site can and does feel a bit like a "clique". It appears that most of the active members know each other or know Colin or have used Colin. This can feel/be intimidating to the less thick skinned or confident people.
I have heard this before, and I still do not understand it. It is true that some people here have been here for eight years, and we know each other back to 2002 when theSamba was still yellow and blue stripes. So yes we have familiarity and friendship. Can't be avoided. But new people can walk right in! They can introduce themselves and become part of the fabric as they wish.
The inclusion of many members' first names and stories from personal encounters brought a slight reminisce of middle school where I didn't have the right color shoes to talk to the group by the soda machine. We don't do that here! But I agree we have to make a warm welcome. Perhaps we could look through threads where someone joined and posted once or twice before never coming back; there might be trends there.
wcfvw69 wrote: ** I'm surprise by the amount of "political commentary" on this site compared to The Samba. It appears to be very liberal as well. This can also turn people off and I know I can tire of reading about someone blathering on about this view point or that view point or other rhetoric.. Personally, I think it needs to be turned down a few notches. I'm on this site to learn, discuss or share all things VW, not read about someones view points on all the negative crap going on in the world or in politics. There's plenty of other sites if I want to get pissed, depressed or angry about the shortfalls in our society. I have no doubt that this has turned other "past" participants off from this site.
We are not afraid of social commentary, politics, or religion here. We are citizens first, hobbyists second. We invite you to participate using your advanced adult behavior skill set. The people who are drawn to air-cooled VWs now, as way back then, tend to appreciate quality and charm in a unique package that still falls well outside of the conventional box. You will find that much of our Free Speech commentary follows the above recipe. Enjoy the diversity. Keep your emotional triggers at home.
Last year, I was reading some Free Speech threads and went back to the Engine forum. For about half a second, I let something I read impact my interpretation of a technical post. "We are citizens first, hobbyists second" really resonated in my head and then the feeling was gone. We're not going to solve every cilvil issue here, but I really appreciate being able to connect to other members on a personal AND technical level. That's what sets this site apart, and that's why I feel more comfortable being honest in my posts, helpful when I can, and curious when I am.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:45 am

As Colin used Robbie as an example of someone who recently joined here and now is a strong member, I'll point out that he's truly an example of an extroverted, confident person (at least he comes across this way since I've never met him). Robbie gave a good example of middle school and trying to connect to the other kids which is what folks are trying to do when they join this site or The Samba. They want to feel welcome and part of the group.

How many times have we all seen on the Samba when I new member posts his first question and some douche bag flames him, is condescending or is simply a dick. The new member never returns.. Robbie posted about his recent convertible purchase in the late model bug form which he appeared to never have posted in before. A couple of people made some dick head comments and it appeared Robbie wanted to escape back to the bay forum.. Joking.. :) I've seen one of those DH's do that before and pointed it out to that poster. Several other people also called him out on his negative, useless posts.

As I've stated earlier, not everyone is like Robbie or myself. Clearly were both outgoing, extroverted, confident folks who have thick skin and can see right thru people who want to share how miserable and un-happy they are in their lives by spewing constant negativity. A lot of introverted people are not this way and it only takes them not feeling welcome, a crappy comment or a moderator trying to be the big man on campus to turn them off and never return again.

In regards to the social/political commentary, I get that some people like this aspect of this site. Personally, it's not my cup of tea to want to read all the differing views on the social/political topics of the day. Too often people get heated up and it turns ugly. Again, I have no doubt that it turns folks off to this site (especially a conservative) and to the specific posters who are more than happy to share their strong opinions and view points. In my short time here, I've already learned to simply NOT read those types of posts as it can sway my opinion of a member.

Oh, and my name is Bill :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:07 pm

"Hello BILL":-)
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:32 am

Amskeptic wrote:
I have heard this before, and I still do not understand it. It is true that some people here have been here for eight years, and we know each other back to 2002 when theSamba was still yellow and blue stripes. So yes we have familiarity and friendship. Can't be avoided. But new people can walk right in! They can introduce themselves and become part of the fabric as they wish. Like asia3b. Joined January 29, 2013 at 11:27 pm. Just made himself right at home in here. Can someone define "clique" and explain how it happens where it happens and how it presents itself as an impediment here. I do not see the age-old Samba ganging up on some hapless new soul visiting here. Never seen it here. Need an example.
I take this citizenship seriously. We humans have been hashing out some serious issues for thousands of years. Many have died in the pursuit of civility. In this country alone, we used to have strikes and demonstrations in the streets as part of our daily lives. Only recently have we become seemingly passive.
Free Speech is a forum that is available but not mandatory. Don't let it throw you. Neither I or anyone else who converses there should be judged for our involvement with the issues of the day, and more importantly, our political views should not in any way detract from friendships. There are people here whose friendship I cherish with the additional benefit that they hash it out with me from the other side of the political continuum. That is more scintillating and challenging than preaching to the choir. Or getting preached from the choir. Or singing the same ol hymn . . . :cyclopsani:
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, if that is your thing.

I consider myself an old-timer here, as a convert from the Samba way back when. I too (along with others) have commented on the cliquey feeling on this board. It is just the vibe I and others get. It is near impossible to give an example because it is not overt, nor intentional (this is the best group of people that I have never met). However, I stand by what I say. As I have said in the past, I think that as long as you have the Free Speech forum, that cliquey-ness and off-putting feeling for some will remain. You can only discuss (or read) opposing political viewpoints for so long until it gets personal. And when it gets personal, some want to totally disengage.

Thinking back, there have been several forum members (vdubya73, turk, etc) and I am sure some lurkers that left here in most part because of the Free Speech forum. I totally get your reasoning/want to have it, and I feel that it is administered as good as can be, but there is no doubt in my mind that it is the source for some souring of taste buds.

In terms of more hits/traffic to the website, I just googled "VW bus forum" and the first IAC hit I got was on page 8! I know it would be a total pain/bummer on several levels, but have you considered changing the name of the website (or putting in some tags or something) to make it more relevant to VW / bus / bugs / etc? I realize that suggesting doing away with Free Speech and changing "Itinerant Air-Cooled" is pretty much putting a dagger into your heart and soul, but I do think it would improve traffic, membership, and retention. Sometimes changes to increase business makes things less "homey".

These are my thoughts - I am only trying to help. :flower:

Colin - I am glad your 2014 loop was successful and safe! I hope to have you back in 2015 - god knows my poor old bus needs a day with you! I will try to be a more active participant round these parts next year :salute: .
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:33 am

Mr Blotto wrote:I too (along with others) have commented on the cliquey feeling on this board. It is just the vibe I and others get. It is near impossible to give an example . . .
Perhaps a good test of this vaporous feeling without example is to go find first posts of new members and see the responses to them. Were they answered in a timely fashion? Were they treated with respect? There is nothing more that anyone can do than that. The next step is to see how personal communication flows from there. We have contracted enough that we may be slightly below the critical mass of guaranteed timely response and communication.
Mr Blotto wrote: As you have the Free Speech forum, that cliquey-ness and off-putting feeling for some will remain.
There have been several forum members (vdubya73, turk, etc) and I am sure some lurkers that left here in most part because of the Free Speech forum.
There is no doubt in my mind that it is the source for some souring of taste buds.
I am at a disadvantage here, only because I cannot see or comprehend how a person can get personally angry at another person here over general topics of the day. I do not understand how someone can read these exchanges and get so turned off that they leave the entire site. As you know, I was the focus of some of that fury. In every case, the people who got angry got personal. I banned Turk. VWdubya73 and Hippie decided to leave in anger over divergent political beliefs. I have visited both of them and considered them friends. I still feel confusion over the loss of Hippie (he had sold his bus and bought a Jeep CJ-7 before he left, so perhaps he was evolving away from this place anyway). I do not understand. But under no circumstance would I take down Free Speech to help diminish the personal discomfort that some people may experience reading or participating in discussions. That personal discomfort is an opportunity for those who feel it to process and understand where it is coming from within them. If anyone gets personally attacked, yes, the attacker gets called out, as they should be. I find Free Speech pretty tame these days. I would love a more spirited exchange of ideas in there. It is only one of several forums, there are other places to visit here. We have seen people's lives and experiences play out in General Forum, and I have been told that this place was a unique and helpful source of support in some trying times. Of course! I have been blessed to meet so many excellent people through this place, and not only have I enjoyed them as friends, I want to share them with others.
Mr Blotto wrote: I just googled "VW bus forum" and the first IAC hit I got was on page 8!
Have you considered changing the name of the website?
I realize that suggesting doing away with Free Speech and changing "Itinerant Air-Cooled" is pretty much putting a dagger into your heart and soul, but I do think it would improve traffic, membership, and retention. Sometimes changes to increase business makes things less "homey".
The google hit issue is definitely something that needs to be addressed! Tags! Search terms! Upgrade!
Don't worry about daggers in my heart and soul. In the Realm Of Existence, this place is not an ego experience for me. I enjoy it, I want to see it thrive in a nice solid modest way . . .
Mr Blotto wrote: Colin - I am glad your 2014 loop was successful and safe! I hope to have you back in 2015 - god knows my poor old bus needs a day with you! I will try to be a more active participant round these parts next year :salute: .
Well thank you. And yes, I would like to see how your VW is doing these days, and say hello to your daughter before she leaves for college . . . :blackeye:
Colin

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Mr Blotto wrote: Colin - I am glad your 2014 loop was successful and safe! I hope to have you back in 2015 - god knows my poor old bus needs a day with you! I will try to be a more active participant round these parts next year :salute: .
Well thank you. And yes, I would like to see how your VW is doing these days, and say hello to your daughter before she leaves for college . . . :blackeye:
Colin
She is 7 going on 17!

Since I have no idea how to isolate quotes when replying to a post (perhaps someone can give a tutorial - just throw it in free speech :joker: ), I will reply in list form.

1 - I don't think the cliquey feeling is derived in the first few posts - it is just a feeling some get after sitting back and observing. I never have thought that existing members were not pleasant, welcoming, and responsive to new members - never. Quite the opposite.

2 - Obviously it is your decision to keep free speech - I just think that omitting it would help prevent some to sour. Too bad you can't get out of it what you do via another venue or social media - It is a shame to loose good technical members over petty political disagreements/pissing matches. I love the General forum and insist it should - it has touched my heart in so many ways and has helped me cope.

3 - There are got to be some webpage guru on here that could help with search engine optimization.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Colin, you’ve chosen an unique career and I hope you are able to sustain it. I also worry about what I’d do if you retired from this work because you keep my hobby of VW’ing fun, informative, and affordable. I’ll make an appointment with you every year for as long as I have interest in maintaining my bus!

If you are interested in hearing them, I have two suggestions: first, perhaps send a PM/email note to the past year(s) appointments to ask to make a new appointment next year. Especially if they don’t always check the forum, I’m sure that an email or two would be appreciated and if you targeted to make appointments near each other or along your route that would provide an efficiency. Second, I wish that you had a list of some of the jobs that could be done during an Itinerant visit. Like the year I had you help me install grease zerks into my ball-joints, I would have never considered that job if I hadn’t seen the Bob D and learned what a PITA it is to replace ball-joints. My suggestion is to give us a menu of jobs to be considered during an appointment.

Here’s a crazy idea, make quick little videos to add to your photos and your drawings to use in an e-book where you give how-to instruction. E-Books (I don’t even know that is what they are called) are good to give multi-media content in a book. I can’t imagine that they would cost too much to publish and they can be sold on iTunes or GooglePlay. I just bought one to learn how to use Keynote and I find it very helpful to have a short video showing the details and finer points of the task.

The service that you provide is very important; don't ever stop! :-)

BellePlaine
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Boy, I agree with all that BellePlaine has said here. I'd also like to see videos produced, and marketed, of Colin showing how to do different VW jobs. Imagine Colin doing a type 4 rebuild video! It's been done, that's true, but not in the Itinerant style. That would help bring in some much needed dough during the winter months. Do we have a video expert out there?

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Jivermo wrote:Fuel surcharge, added to call charge. You make +-5,000 more per year. That is a large part of your expense. I have no problem supporting your travel costs.
Look at that . . . two of the remaining six forum members chiming in within 24 hours . . .

I don't do "surcharge", like those airlines. I have always thought it incumbent upon the proprietor or corporation to figure out their expenses and price accordingly, no funny stuff. I heard the airlines mewl about increasing ticket costs "jet fuel expenses have increased" then, when fuel costs plummeted (like an airplane that ran out fuel, ha!), they raised their prices again, wtlf??

I live by the "just enough" model of existence. It has hair-raising moments to be sure, like when capital improvements are suddenly required, but I want to be incremental in the same Volkswagen was with their improvements.

Mitch, the performance of the itinerary comes *after* the traffic to this site. I was grateful to have enough work this past summer, but looking at the forum traffic that precludes next year's demand . . . . :pale:

Am I boring?
Colin :flower:

I'm with you on this Colin. As someone who travels 1-3 times a year abroad (Japan) I can tell you first hand airlines are screwing people royally. Current oil prices are pushing at a 60% loss and have the airlines lowered they're fuel surcharges? No. In fact, they have no desire to do away with them because the belief is that most Americans have just gotten used to them so we'll keep them in place. The airlines have absolutely no business tacking on fuel surcharges in my opinion. Why? Airlines operate with the help of heavy government subsidies...you guessed it tax payer dollars. They want to profit...fine but NOT at the expense of us taxpayers who've already been helping their businesses stay afloat.

Airlines this year alone have profited BILLIONS from just baggage fees alone.

It's time Americans force for the outlaw of fuel surcharges and go back to regulating airlines as long as the government subsidies continue to flow to them.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's