I am…The Undertorquer (Grayslake, IL)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

locoqueso
Addicted!

I am…The Undertorquer (Grayslake, IL)

Post by locoqueso » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:54 am

Last week Colin stopped by to help me finish up the exhaust and replace the front shifter bushing on my 78 Campmobile. I should have finished the exhaust last year, but I wrongly decided not to replace the manifolds. There just wasn't enough flange surface on the originals and they should have been replaced. Earlier this year I purchased a rebuilt pair of manifolds from German Supply so I was ready this time. The rebuilt manifolds matched up nicely with the new afterburners elbow pipes added last year.

Colin had to follow up behind me and correct my habitual under-torqueing of the nuts/bolts. He was also nice enough to tweak the strainer plate bolt from 5 ft lbs up to 9. My fancy adjustable torque wrench needs to be calibrated but I’m not any better with the beam torque wrench I just bought. I think those little lines on the gauge all blend together when I look at it upside down.

We were able to get the front shifter bushing replaced without too much trouble. The original bushing was split and stuck to the grease on the shift rod. It's amazing how smooth it shifts now with the new bushing. This is my first and only bus so I always assumed VW transmissions were sloppy. Not anymore!

For the first time in a while we were able to start the bus while the sun was still out. It was a great feeling! Colin took the first test drive and we looped around the neighborhood. He noticed some hesitation and the bus eventually stalled as we stopped for a light. Colin adjusted the mixture screw (7 1/4 rich from bottom) and AFM cog (3 notches leaner). We had a chance to discuss a few key points and note instructions to further fine tune the fuel after a good test drive. The day always goes by so fast and soon it was time for Colin to hit the road before sunset. I packed up my tools and called it a day.

During the first test drives on my own I noticed things started off alright. I drove around the block a couple times and then noticed slight hesitation from first gear. After another loop the hesitation turned into bucking as I accelerated from first and second gears. It seemed to get worse as I drove around and I decided not to drive it faster on the main road. The bus stalled on me two or three different times as I came to a full stop. I finally made it back home and parked the bus in the garage.

Following Colin’s instructions, I marked the AFM cog to keep track of its current position. I then adjusted the cog six notches richer. The bus didn't want to start from there. The engine turned over but it wouldn't catch. I let the bus sit for a while and tried again. This time the engine eventually started but it quickly died. It didn't like the richer setting at all.

The next adjustment to the cog was 12 notches leaner. This time the engine started very quickly and it sounded better. I let the bus idle for a little while and within a minute or two it seemed to hesitate and want to stall. I pulled the accelerator cable a little bit and that kept the bus from stalling. I then adjusted the cog one more notch richer and the bus seemed to run a little better at idle. I took another test drive and I noticed the slight hesitation starting from first. It quickly turned into major bucking as I accelerated from first and second gears again. The hesitation/bucking symptoms now seem to be about the same, maybe slightly better, with my cog adjustments (total of 5 notches leaner than Colin's last adjustment). The engine also stalled twice as I slowed for stop signs. By this time it was getting too warm outside to monkey around so the bus has been parked with no further adjustments.

Thank you for your time and expertise Colin. I appreciate it!
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Re: I am…The Undertorquer (Grayslake, IL)

Post by jcbrock » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:22 am

Working on a farm in college, our torque wrench only had 3 settings: hand tight, snug and TIGHT!
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:03 am

locoqueso wrote: Last week Colin stopped by to help me finish up the exhaust and replace the front shifter bushing on my 78 Campmobile.

major bucking hesitation/bucking symptoms

Thank you Colin.
I know, I know. I am now flummoxed as we went through the range of mixture adjustments.

Please install a new condensor/point set, time the engine, and let me know if symptoms leave.
IF NOT, measure the resistances of:
rotor ... 5-10Kohms
spark plug connectors ... 1-5Kohms
coil (+) to (-) ... 3 ohms

I will crawl back to Illinois on my hands and knees before I let you not drive that beautiful Taigagrun Westy.
ColinYerStillOnTheHook
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

locoqueso
Addicted!

Post by locoqueso » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:42 pm

That's a big 10-4 good buddy.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:56 am

locoqueso wrote:That's a big 10-4 good buddy.
If you have any questions about diagnostics, you let me know . . . .
Colin

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles