Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The Itinerary Review Post

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:26 am

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
APPOINTMENT IMPROVEMENTS YOU'D LIKE TO SEE

extended periods of philosophizing, beer drinking, and over consumption of caffeine :)
I have read suggestions to provide a proper middle of the day lunch break that revisits concepts and/or philosophizing. I can do that. Some people may think I am a recovering alcoholic with my consistent demurring of beer refreshment during the day, but it is actually a physiological reaction . . . I get totally sleepy on beer! Quickly too! One beer > sloppy, two beers > stupid, three beers > passed out.

I love sharing current events/situations on Earth/our latest personal conundrums with my customers, but over the past few years I have been increasingly horrified with how the day evaporates under us. I am driven by a desire for results and want to see the value for myself, but perhaps I have given short-shrift to the intangibles . . . that morning with Jivermo under the trees sharing our musings of road travel was a real pleasure, but I was squirming with an anxiety that Jivermo would later pause at the dishwasher, "I just paid for WHAT?"
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:19 am

You certainly provided a good laugh for my office staff when I showed them this! And what? We didn't get a lot accomplished? Come on, we sorted out Austin's carb problem for him, got a great start on weighing the spring tension in an AFM, did a forensic on my valves, I learned the really neat driver's seat trick for the rich/lean test, developed the shopping list for the 2014 clutch/nose cone job, checked out the newly available silicone valve cover gaskets (and decided not to use them yet), spoke of the bad habit of using second gear to line up entrance into first gear at a stop, and resolved many of the nation's problems. I've done less in a day. The April/May visit may entail a bit more in the "dirty hands" arena, but I'm well pleased with your recent visit. I'll weigh in on the beer deal: As a former home brewer of excellent stouts and Weizenbier and an avid consumer of good beers-they all stay in the refrigerator until the work is concluded. Drinking beer certainly has its place in my life, but not while I'm working on my Air Cooled stuff. For me, at least, I prefer a very clear head when I adjust valves, work on a running engine or brakes, etc. Would you like it if an electrician was tossing back beers while working on your home's wiring? Work now, party later.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:01 pm

1 - satisfied * - * - * - 5 not at all satisfied

PRE-REQUISITES

(3) ease of scheduling appointment - sending a PM to Colin via the IAC board (aka, how to 'schedule' your appointment) seems straightforward to me, but it's not as simple/easy as an official 'signup page' could be.

(1) clarity of deposits/details/requirements

(1) communication (any annoying misunderstandings?)

VISIT

(2) punctuality

(1) politeness

(1) professionalism

(1) progression of your stated goals

(1) progression of state of vehicle

(2) follow-through after visit - this is more on you, the owner, than on Colin to do any follow up after the visit. users do need to write up their visit and post here about it, along with any after-issues/questions/etc for them to be addressed. If something persists after your visit and your actively posting about it, you'll get all the help you need to address it yourself.

(0) price/value - there's nothing ive spent money on, for my VW's, that's as valuable as this service.

LEARNING

(1) clarity of concepts introduced

(1) clarity of explanations

(1) clarity of hands-on/field practicum

(3) your degree of knowledge retention

Free pizza lunch on Colin if you can perform flawless double clutching?

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FUTURE

Mandatory photographs of each visit. One of owner in front of vehicle, prior to visit, and one after.
All others are optional. (if owner doesn't want to be photographed, then just the vehicle before/after)

1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
a) sending a PM to Colin via the IAC board (aka, how to 'schedule' your appointment) seems straightforward to me,
but it's not as simple/easy as an official 'signup page' could be.

b) your degree of knowledge retention

c) APPOINTMENT IMPROVEMENTS YOU'D LIKE TO SEE

d) SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FUTURE
Mandatory photographs of each visit.
a) Could you explain how that sign-up page would work?
You have two axes, time and location. All dots must connect in a linear fashion.

b) this seems to be the lowest score in the review process. How can I make it better?

c) you do a heel-n-toe double-clutch downshift on an exit ramp, I'll spring for the pizza.

d) yes

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm

I think the knowledge retention question is the reviewer scoring their own faulty memories. I don't think there is much you can do about that. Many here have written and read accounts of what a tsunami of VW knowledge accompanies an IAC day. There is only so much an average human can retain in such a compressed timeframe. This information torrent often occurs while on one's back under a vehicle performing some medieval operation. Perhaps that's where your book might provide some good memory support.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
I have read suggestions to provide a proper middle of the day lunch break that revisits concepts and/or philosophizing. I can do that. Some people may think I am a recovering alcoholic with my consistent demurring of beer refreshment during the day, but it is actually a physiological reaction . . . I get totally sleepy on beer! Quickly too! One beer > sloppy, two beers > stupid, three beers > passed out.

I love sharing current events/situations on Earth/our latest personal conundrums with my customers, but over the past few years I have been increasingly horrified with how the day evaporates under us. I am driven by a desire for results and want to see the value for myself, but perhaps I have given short-shrift to the intangibles . . . that morning with Jivermo under the trees sharing our musings of road travel was a real pleasure, but I was squirming with an anxiety that Jivermo would later pause at the dishwasher, "I just paid for WHAT?"
Colin
Totally agree with the whole beer thing...that's why I don't drink when i'm wrenching.....my productivity goes waaaay down. Always save it for after as a celebratory moment. I'm thinking you take folks up on their offers to crash at their domicile either the night before, or the night after....this leaves many hours for solving life's problems. :) just a thought...promise no White Castles.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:11 am

airkooledchris wrote: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FUTURE

Mandatory photographs of each visit. One of owner in front of vehicle, prior to visit, and one after.
All others are optional. (if owner doesn't want to be photographed, then just the vehicle before/after)

I like this. In my experience, I lose track of time and before I know it I'm watching Colin pull away to his next stop.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Runamuck Bus
Getting Hooked!

Post by Runamuck Bus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:34 am

I thought I would attempt to justify the scores. Overall, I enjoy the visit and look forward to it like one would 'vacation time'. If I could, I would schedule yearly just for the fun of it, the anticipation, the write-up afterwards and the comments that follow. I agree with others - more pictures should be mandatory!

PRE-REQUISITES
( 1 ) ease of scheduling appointment - I have not had any difficulty in scheduling an appointment. 2 appointments have been last-minute but were still able to be wedged into the schedule.
( 1 ) clarity of deposits/details/requirements - this is spelled-out well in the annual post. I think the client has the responsibility that all 'post deposit' needs are met
( 1 ) communication (any annoying misunderstandings?) - Part of the 'thrill' (for me) is seeing my name on the list, the date to anticipate and that Bold, Red, 'D'.
VISIT
( 2 ) punctuality - The 'guy' was 15 minutes late this year. He did call to warn me, but I was still like a kid on Christmas morning.
( 1 ) politeness - he is
( 1 ) professionalism - he is, but after a couple visits, he does loosen up
( 1 ) progression of your stated goals - I set my goals, knowing that there is a good possibility that not all items might be met. I attribute this to 'all of the things you run into along the way'.
( 2 ) progression of state of vehicle - I am much further along than I would be without the visits. The visits have added more to the list of things that need to be done. I'm OK with the trade-off.
( 2 ) follow-through after visit - I am usually left with a list of instructions; whether I actually address them in a timely fashion is on me!
( 1 ) price/value - I liked the 50% down - 50% @ end of visit. This allowed me to get both 'halves' together easier.
LEARNING
( 2 ) clarity of concepts introduced - I wish there was time during the appointment to incorporate more 'book' reference (Bentley, et al) to the particular mechanical part that I was working on. I somehow think that this could be useful to me afterwards when looking at the same assemblies or processes. Valve adjusting, Distributor set-up, distributor timing come to mind ( 2 ) clarity of explanations - This would be a 1 (one), except I know that as the day progresses, I find myself hodding my head more even though I am incapable of absorbing any more information. This is not an IAC issue, I attribute it to an adventurous youth.
( 1 ) clarity of hands-on/field practicum - I love this part. This is where I loose most of my time. I run the exercise 2,3+ times just for the sheer joy of accomplishment; I repeat the same mnemonic 10 times for each turn of the adjuster.
( 2 ) your degree of knowledge retention - not IAC issue, again, probably attributable to adventurous youth.

-Scheduling - Seems like the 'eastern' U.S. visits are scheduled for late in the season. While this has a lot to do with weather, fixed visit dates (Maupin) and proximity of visit to one another, I have wondered if an 'early year' visit would have a greater impact on my vehicle motivation.
-PRE-REQUISITES - as a newbie, I have had difficulties, trying to determine just 'what' parts and consumables should be on hand to maximize the visit. If some direct suggestions were available, I could better insure that all the materials are readily available.

Colin - Would you be willing/able to look over my (small) collection of misc parts and let me know what I should keep and what I could distribute or sell? No, the spare transmission is not for sale, but I have parts that I am certain that I have parts that I may not need. I'm thinking that I could make those available to IAC Visit clients. Just a thought.
Endeavor to Persevere.
'72 Weekender

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:29 am

Amskeptic wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:
a) sending a PM to Colin via the IAC board (aka, how to 'schedule' your appointment) seems straightforward to me,
but it's not as simple/easy as an official 'signup page' could be.

b) your degree of knowledge retention

c) APPOINTMENT IMPROVEMENTS YOU'D LIKE TO SEE

d) SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FUTURE
Mandatory photographs of each visit.
a) Could you explain how that sign-up page would work?
You have two axes, time and location. All dots must connect in a linear fashion.

b) this seems to be the lowest score in the review process. How can I make it better?

c) you do a heel-n-toe double-clutch downshift on an exit ramp, I'll spring for the pizza.

d) yes

A. It's still on you to put together the path and dates/etc, im just talking about a signup page. Wasn't there one in the works at one point? I thought there was a sample shared here a year or so ago, but it just didn't progress past that stage.

A simple webpage with fields you must fill out, that then auto-generates an email would be easy to put together and simple. You can easily collect all of the information you want from your potential customers this way. (enter name, enter address, enter year of vehicle/s, etc/etc/ - click 'send' when finished.)

B. Unless you want to sponsor a few years of Luminosity for me, I don't think this one is on you. I simply cannot retain all the data I wish I could from our visits. I'll write some things down, assume ill just remember others (sometimes I do!) - but I saw this more of a grade of ourselves than anything I can put on you.

We haven't been doing the after-visit sit down since the first appointment, where we recap what we worked on, take specific notes on what should be done in the coming year (the post-visit invoice process as laid out in the itinerary) - which is likely just because we are used to each others company now - but that might help a hair in this department. (still, B is a score I gave myself)

C. Pizza's on me.

D. Yay!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:58 am

Runamuck Bus wrote: PRE-REQUISITES
a) as a newbie, I have had difficulties, trying to determine just 'what' parts and consumables should be on hand to maximize the visit. If some direct suggestions were available, I could better insure that all the materials are readily available.

LEARNING
b) clarity of concepts introduced - I wish there was time during the appointment to incorporate more 'book' reference (Bentley, et al) to the particular mechanical part that I was working on.
a) I can stress in the Details that the shopping list comes from our pre-season conversations. With the number of shipping errors from our favorite vendors escalating, there is a chance that we will be staring at rear shift bushings when we need a front.

b) we can do that. Scribbles-n-coffee pre-photographs, followed by doughnuts-n-Bentley (jelly makes a great page finder), a little wrenching-n-photographs, lunch-n-Bentley again, a little more wrenching-n-photographs, capaccino+beer shots during the closed book final exam/invoice/parting photographs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 pm

aopisa wrote:I think the knowledge retention question is the reviewer scoring their own faulty memories. I don't think there is much you can do about that. Many here have written and read accounts of what a tsunami of VW knowledge accompanies an IAC day. There is only so much an average human can retain in such a compressed timeframe. This information torrent often occurs while on one's back under a vehicle performing some medieval operation. Perhaps that's where your book might provide some good memory support.
Book? Memory? Oh, I'm writing a book, almost forgot.
Colin :geek:

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:10 pm

another random thought for the signup page....

a list of 'Have you ever's....

like, have you EVER:

1. Adjusted your rear brakes?
2. Repacked your wheel bearings?
3. Oiled the felt wick on your distributor?
4. Changed the oil screen?
5. Lubricated your front end?
6. Cleaned your FI grounds?
7. Changed your ____ filter?

There's a number of things that many bus owners, myself included, won't think to do until we have a failure that resulted from NOT doing some of those type things. It's easy to get all wrapped up in new camping toys and conversations about correctly rated tires and oil viscosities where we forget the little stuff (that we absolutely could be doing with the tools/skills we already have on hand)

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 pm

+1 for Chris' idea. I know we took care of my main issue this year by lunch. That sort of question would allow you to scrutinize a range of possibilities to fit the needs of the van/driver/time.

ML

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:07 am

I've had 2 IAC visits. I cannot describe the scope of the opportunity you provide with your service. The ability to have someone of your skill/knowledge/communication level come to MY house and not only work on my vehicle, but teach me what to do and how to drive it is something I still marvel at. I am not even sure what I will want to work on in 2014, but I know I will be scheduling a visit, despite the crush of other things that demand my time and money.

PRE-REQUISITES

( 1 ) ease of scheduling appointment. Can't get much easier in my mind, given you have to fit us all into one schedule.

( 1 ) clarity of deposits/details/requirements. Spelled out in nauseating (but polite) detail!

( 1 ) communication (any annoying misunderstandings?) . No misunderstandings yet. I sometimes worry that I pester you too much before visits, but you respond politely and patiently each time I contact you.

VISIT

( 1 ) punctuality. He always comes on time to MY house on time :-)

( 1 ) politeness. I am struck by the value and emphasis you place on politeness. It is a common theme in your writing and behavior.

( 1 ) professionalism

( 2 ) progression of your stated goals. Hard to put a number here. For example, my first visit we strayed from my stated goals, but for a very worthwhile reason. If Colin sees something as important, I will listen and more than likely take his suggestion on the priority of tasks for the day gladly.

( 1 ) progression of state of vehicle. Colin has been a big part of improving the overall driveability/safety of my bus.

( 1 ) follow-through after visit. Colin exudes an air of genuine care about him, Not only for our vehicles, but for us. This is clear in his posts on this and other forums, and even more clear when dealing with him in person. He followed up on issues after both of my visits.

( 1 ) price/value. Again, the ability to have someone of Colin's expertise available is a tremendous asset. I feel the cost does not approach the value of the opportunity for me.

LEARNING

( 1 ) clarity of concepts introduced. Colin does a nice job of breaking concepts down into small, manageable pieces.

( 1 ) clarity of explanations. See above.

( 1 ) clarity of hands-on/field practicum. Many of the things I learn are shown by example. Others are more direct. Again, Colin does a good job of breaking difficult (or easy) processes down into accessible bits.

( 1 ) your degree of knowledge retention. I must do less drugs than the rest of you.... Seriously, the day is so long. A balance is struck for each of us between getting stuff done and learning things conceptually. The more pressing the list of physical things to be done, the more difficult it is to remember all the techniques discussed during the day. But on the other hand, you got a LOT of things done. My first visit was like that. LOTS to do, and rush rush rush until the end. My second visit had fewer things that HAD to get done, and even though we worked hard just about all day we were able to discuss some topics in more depth.

The improvements I can think of fall more on me than you. Anything you could do to help us do a good job prioritizing the day's tasks and being prepared would be useful.

i do like Aircooledchirs's suggestion for a "Have you done this", at least for first time IAC folks. It would give folks an idea of the types of things they should be doing routinely, and also give you an idea of where the person is starting from.

My only suggestion is the selfish one that you do whatever you need to keep providing your service as long as you care to. As Runamuck Bus mentioned, I look forward to your visit like it was a vacation. Working on my bus(ses) with someone who knows as much as you, and loves the air-cooled VWs is a treat.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:19 pm

drober23 wrote: a) APPOINTMENT IMPROVEMENTS YOU'D LIKE TO SEE
Anything you could do to help us do a good job prioritizing the day's tasks and being prepared would be useful.

b) SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FUTURE
i do like Aircooledchirs's suggestion for a "Have you done this", at least for first time IAC folks.
I would like to figure out some methods to help with prioritization. Generally, I solicit people for their
"List of Concerns" from most-important to least-important both as a framework for the day and as an insight into what is on their radar. Then I have to do some triage to see what can realistically get accomplished based on that person's level of mechanical aptitude. "A - teach me how an engine works and B - take it out to set the end play, replace the clutch, and fix the main seal leak,"
for example, has me trying to figure out how much time we will have with a running engine to do A.

A more efficient day definitely occurs with an organized work environment and all necessary parts. You had that, and the parts you had on hand let us tear into things pretty efficiently. Other appointments I have done wasted easily an hour looking for parts and tools, and others still have had parts orders that never arrived. THAT is when I jump into the HaveYouEver list. In eleven years, I have never run of things to do, although some of you are getting close. Then we can do a BobD Window Washing Wax The Intake Plenum Dust The Engine Compartment Organize Dash Wiring According To Color Align All External Phillips Screws Day. Then we can discuss THAT over a beer.
"Did we just do that?"
"Do I see lint on the speedometer dial?"
Colin