Itinerant Air-Cooled's Last Calls

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled's Last Calls

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:17 am

Cindy wrote:The fifth grade grammar lesson I'm teaching today compels me to point out your misuse of [sic].

Couldn't help myself.

Cindy
Knowing as you do my deep love of learning and almost entirely absent ego, could you perhaps explicate more fully? Was it just the use of those ((( )))) thingies when I was supposed to use [[[ ]]] dealies???
ColinFauxPasSchmoPaw
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:25 am

Cindy wrote:The fifth grade grammar lesson I'm teaching today compels me to point out your misuse of [sic].
Couldn't help myself.
Cindy
Could you enlighten us, Cindy? How did he misuse "sic" ?

BTW, I notice that the dashboard clock is working again. Are we to assume that little Swiss elves intervened?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:48 am

The use of [sic] is reserved for instances in which you are quoting a misspelled word, i.e. a word misspelled by the original writer of the phrase. For example, if I were to quote my sister Julie (the world's worst speller), I would use [sic] immediately folllowing each of her errors, lest someone think I made the mistake myself. (It's especially handy when quoting primary documents.)

Most people use (sp?) if they're not sure. But I say LOOK IT UP (please).

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Colin, sorry to hear Florida has received you in such a rough vehicular type manner!
Please keep in mind Pensacola is really not really know as Florida,
the nickname I hear from south Florida mostly is it's "L.A." (lower Alabama) so it's barely ours.
Also I am by no means saying the Miami area would receive you better. If it wasn't for my SLOW MOVING VEHICLE magnets
I move from vehicle to vehicle when we drive our 40-ish HP's on the road down here I really think people would have rammed into me
several times by now!!
Hope you get mobile again and find some other folks soon for a south stop to me! (my very first one by the way)

cheers from a newbie down south
-Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Not to worry, Jeff...he'll be at my place in Miami also next journey. See the first 2013 tour stop.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks Jivermo!
I'm really enjoying reading all this info collected over the years :study:
and also looking forward to learning from Colin when he makes it down to see us.
Maybe I will see you at the next VW car show like the show and shine my wife and I went to in ft. Laud a few months back. I'm new to this whole scene but I am digging it big time!
Jeff

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:49 am

Weisswurst.

Since you hail from Miami your comments on Pensacola are taken with the required pound of salt. It is true that Pensacola is geographically located at the most northwestern point of Florida within 15 minutes of the state line abutting the State of Alabama. And yes it is true that life is a little slower up here than down there. However, dying is a lot slower up here as well. We don't have the crime or big city problems that many larger more urban centers of the universe experience, and we are very happy about that.

We also don't have the incredible number of "blue hairs" in their 1979 Buick Electra 225's moving slower than a 1954 oval window bug either. Regrettably we don't have the vast variety of foods you enjoy or the need to put a $1000.00 Viper car alarm on a POS $500 beater to keep it from being stolen.

We do have many snow birds from up North come down each winter and we love them. We love them more when they leave their money and go back home. I cant say the same for the Northerners that come down from the North East and stay down there permanently and bitch they cant get a decent bagel and lox, or that the humidity is worse here than "back home", or that there is no culture, or that the other end of the state are just inbred, redneck Jethros etc. I-4 runs both ways and if you take more than one back with you, you can use the HOV lane.

It is true that Pensacola and the surrounding towns are a little slower than the rest of the world (ie Miami-Dade), however, we like our tea sweet, our breezes cool, and our "bagels" from Krispy Kreme. Jelly filled if you don't mind.

The previous was not a rant or in any way meant to be disrespectful. It was tongue in cheek. Or in our context, that would be "just a pinch between your cheek and gum".

Come see the rest of the world,

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:32 am

jackstar wrote:Weisswurst.
We also don't have the incredible number of "blue hairs" in their 1979 Buick Electra 225's moving slower than a 1954 oval window bug either.

Pensacola, we like our tea sweet, our breezes cool, and our "bagels" from Krispy Kreme. Jelly filled if you don't mind.
....... but Pensacola now does have one new "grey hair if any hair at all" in his 1992 Lexus moving slower than a disassembled '79 Westy, "where's that Davis Highway around here?" as he passes yet another shotgun Law Firm under the rude pecan trees throwing nuts down upon the unsuspecting.

What amazes me is the history underneath this town, five governments have flown flags over Pensacola, Spain, France, Great Britain, the Confederate States of America, and the United States. Known as "America's First Settlement" (1559) all the way up to today's "Redneck Riveria", Pensacola offers a continual parade of joggers and street fairs and law offices and stray cats along the gulf coast.

This morning's wheezy walk/run/recovery stagger down Government Street to the parkway along the water, displayed all of the above.
There is the weekend fair ramping up at the park, there were healthy young joggers passing me, there was the "My Pink Lawyer" law firm, and there was that white cat who looked at me like I was an alligator (having forgotten my extended efforts to befriend it last April).

Yes, it must be Time To Get Back To The Book season.
Colin79*PartlySunny

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:05 am

Hi Jackstar, I realized after my post that I may have sounded like I was speaking about Pensacola in an unflattering way, whoops
I did not mean to in the least! :silent: I am only in the Miami area because I was moved here by the parents 30+ years ago from growing up in rural PA up near the Amish folk.
I actually just flat towed my VW behind a Motorhome with my wife and son back up for a visit so he could see some of the family farm I grew up on and camp on that old farm. We had such a great time and having our "sunday driving" vehicle with us too was just priceless. BTW she performed like a champ winning everyone over who saw us drive by out there too! (pictures upon request)
I travel the whole state regularly for my job (Bosch) and visit Pensacola 2-3 times a year as well. If anyone in my state ever needs parts transported with loving care I'm usually some where between you and miami for a week every month. Just so you know
I really love the northern parts of Florida and will be moving some acreage we bought a long time ago in a small town called Homosassa Springs (not sure if you ever heard of it). It's a lovely rural town on old 19 that's only income source is manatee tourism.
Didn't mean to sound like a "city boy" Miami type in my first few postings here at all. I'm just a relocated country boy who
ended up raising my family too far south but I'm fixing that as we speak I assure you. I want my young son to have a taste of what
I got as a kid now that he is ready to start school, off we go! I would love to buy you a beer on my next trip to Pensacola, maybe
at McGuires? I have one of the numbered mugs hung in the preferred spots by the bar if you wish to join me for some senate bean soup there too. :occasion5:
Cheers!
Jeff

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Jeff,

Glad to oblige you on the beer at McGuires. Yes, I have been to Homosassa Springs. Watching the Manatees in the underwater observation deck is pretty cool, even when they pop out lettuce head size poop!! Glad to know you will be up here sometime. Please stop by. I am at 221 East Government St.

Jack

Quadratrückseite
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan
IAC's #1 Cubs Fan

Post by Quadratrückseite » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote: The SAME damn DEFECTIVE leaky CAPACITORS in my Dell Optiplex Desktop computer's motherboard are found in my Lexus electronic control module!
Those same defective capacitors have destroyed one 42 inch tv and two iMacs of ours...I have kept all three with thoughts of trying to repair them. Is it fairly easy to do? (says the guy with an almost pulled bus engine that has been in the same state since the summer of 2012...)
"The bus is the real talisman. It's the thing that runs through all of this history. It's not a thing anybody owns or controls. No matter how peeved you get with people, the bus always makes your heart jump. Everybody was attached to it."
- Ken Kesey

Steve
1978 Country Homes Camper conversion - "Gus"

http://gusthevwbus.com
http://freshandmodern.com/blog

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:58 pm

Quadratrückseite wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I will keep you abreast of this challenging repair . . .
Those same defective capacitors have destroyed one 42 inch tv and two iMacs of ours...I have kept all three with thoughts of trying to repair them. Is it fairly easy to do? (says the guy with an almost pulled bus engine that has been in the same state since the summer of 2012...)
It is easy from the vantage point of experience, as the actual operation is simple.
But the details matter:
Use as little heat as possible to get the old parts out.
Clean clean clean.
Use quick high heat and focused flux to get the solder to flow to the new parts (no more than 2 seconds).
Clean clean clean the residual flux off the board.
Colin

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 am

If it'll make y'all feel better, both North AND South Florida are little more than a poor substitute for the lovely western California coast! Which is where Colin would be be, if he had any sense. Oh well, you guys will just have to show him how it's done down Florida way.

Send pics, Colin, I'm wilting.

ML

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Quadratrückseite wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I will keep you abreast of this challenging repair . . .
It is easy from the vantage point of experience, as the actual operation is simple.
But the details matter:
Use as little heat as possible to get the old parts out.
Clean clean clean.
Use quick high heat and focused flux to get the solder to flow to the new parts (no more than 2 seconds).
Clean clean clean the residual flux off the board.
Colin
Don't forget your heat-sink, clipped on the wire between the solder joint and the component. Any old alligator clip helps, but they make purpose built ones cheap enough.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103242#
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.