so when is the second leg

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

so when is the second leg

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:49 pm

isn't there usually a fall Pacific NW tour that takes place later in the year?

sign me up. plenty to do still. :study:
1979 California Transporter

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: so when is the second leg

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 am

Alas, Colin is terrified of the rain. And I shudder to think of dis-assembly in the sand. :bom:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:30 am

airkooledchris wrote:isn't there usually a fall Pacific NW tour that takes place later in the year?

sign me up. plenty to do still. :study:
hambone wrote:Alas, Colin is terrified of the rain. And I shudder to think of dis-assembly in the sand. :bom:

I'll be a puddle of trembling by October 26th in Atlanta. Plan to slink off to the drawing board for some r&r.

Terrified of the rain? I like a brief southwestern shower well enough when it is 90*.
But if you give me 44* and driving rain and grey relentlessness all day steady dripping lifeless branches chill with little wind gusts and greasy cold engine parts barely discernible through the pall and dead wet leaves matted underfoot while the gutter leaks cold spikes on my inadvertently exposed belly whilst battling a rusty screw in the dark underneath, why yes, I am *irritated* by the rain.

Eureka temperatures, however, will have plummeted from a summer high of 59* to a wintry depth of 58*.
ColinAlwaysPlentyToDoStillYet
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 am

Fall high pressure systems will push us into the 90s again I'm sure ~ toasty right now for sure. If you, ever decided to motor west; choose a VW and head to So Cal it's the best. Get your kicks, in OC the weather's sick!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 am

I'm with Colin and will be skipping the winter raingreygloom leaving in Dec sometime as the Sun is awesome!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Hopelessly native. I miss that drizzly grey. My skin relishes the moisture. Ahhhh.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 am

ruckman101 wrote:Hopelessly native. I miss that drizzly grey. My skin relishes the moisture. Ahhhh.
neal
Not me. I grew up in North Vancouver. Over 150 inches of rain a year. Endless drizzly grey from November to July.

Now, living away from the coast, I actually enjoy winter. Bright, sunny cold beats endless drizzly grey any time.

Besides, nobody, EVER has said "Hey! Let's go out and play in the rain!"
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:05 am

everywhere else ive lived I typically enjoyed the outdoors around 50% of the time.

sloppy wet grey snow and painful cold winds - or 85* with 90% humidity. - it just doesn't work for me.
to be fair I didn't mind the winter nearly as much as the summer. you can always put something warmer on, but once your hot and down to your shorts, that's it.

I really only liked midwest weather for a month in the spring and again in the fall.
now, I can enjoy being outside more like 80% of the time.

also, I like going outside when it's raining. :joker: (and it's never rained here for an IAC visit!)
1979 California Transporter

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:16 am

There's something very reassuring to me to be drifting off to sleep on a dark winter night with the sound of rain pounding on the roof.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:30 am

haha, its only 85F & 90% during the day and there is usually a cool 5 mph breeze blowing off the ocean. Yep, the first two weeks are HELL until your body adjusts and sweat doesn't pour out of everywhere of your skin..
Those Tropical rains that sweep thru for 15 minutes everyday cool and wash everything off nicely. The rain at night hitting the steel roof is hypnotic while that breeze blows in thru the windows....or while you take that afternoon nap for a hour cuz its what you do at 5PM.
VS
In Seattle the cold misty drizzle hangs over the city with a grey foreboding pall like its time to die. Working outside in 39F sucks as your fingers turn blue in 15 minutes and in a hour you are soaking wet and freezing cold. The fire in the fireplace begs for more dry wood but your freezing and NOT going outside to get wet again. Working on a car in the garage with a space heater heating one tiny foot in front of it makes for S L O W progress......tools are ice cold and slippery so you smash your knuckles again.....
Geoff

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:32 pm

ruckman101 wrote:There's something very reassuring to me to be drifting off to sleep on a dark winter night with the sound of rain pounding on the roof.
neal
True. Especially a metal roof. Double true if it's a bus. TripleTrue (tm) if it's Frito. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:10 pm

I like the combination of some drops on metal roof, some on fiberglass, that the early Westies give you. More instruments in the orchestra. I can usually pick out (audibly) a stray drop here and there on the hubcap or bumper as well, the big fat ones off the trees really resound.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:28 am

Don't be a pussy. Come to NW Florida during August-October. Not only do we offer abnormally high pizza oven heat, we also accommodate those that require moisture with 98% humidity. That is, when it is not 100%. As a change of pace from June 1 through Nov 30 we offer the Florida Hurricane Lottery. This game is played each year whether you wish to opt out or not. For any given weather pattern oscillating off the coast of Africa you stand the chance of up to a Cat. 5 hurricane striking your little trailer park and screwing up your collection of pink flamingos and yard gnomes. The wild card is El Nino in the Pacific. Whatever he ends up doing it is always fun and interesting and will generally affect the Gulf of Mexico.

See ya soon. Oh, and bring 5 gallons of gas for the generator. And your own cooler. And a lot of ice. And beer that tastes good hot. And single malt scotch. And a hot babe.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 am

Haha, the Cool breeze that hits Suriname in Aug-Oct continues into the Caribbean becoming those dreaded Hurricanes. Someones fortune becomes an-others mis-fortune.
Geoff

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:59 am

I still play in rain puddles and wash my hair in a downpour. I will even run around barefoot in wet grass on purpose despite my ranidaphobia. But I do get tired of the chill and the drab gray days if they go on too long. I always wonder what charm the PNW must have that helps people tolerate its weather.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand