All Caught Up Going Nowhere

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

All Caught Up Going Nowhere

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Had a hot day with Brewcruiser in California wine country, trying desperately to get his dual carb '74 bus back on its game. Discovered 0 psi compression in cylinder #4. Our sadness was tempered by the fact that even a three cylinder bus can run better than this popping and spitting and revving and stalling mess of a GEX engine. So we applied a diligent troubleshooting demeanor in the scorching heat, and we sought, we discovered, we conquered various issues that might affect the ability of this engine to run. It was a good test of focus. No matter how lousy an engine might run, you must prevail to get rid of variables. That included attempting to "time" the engine, "adjust" the mixtures, and shut up about it. I have learned to not attempt to "teach" when an engine is so ill-behaved. Upshot was that we got it to run pretty well and we drove it up and down the hills in the gorgeous hot evening light. Brewcruiser shall shortly join the legions of Itinerant Air-Cooled members who have bravely waded in and executed an engine overhaul. I hope he starts a thread about it, and I hope y'all jump in and help. It is a beautiful orange Westy with the orange plaid interior. I didn't take pictures on account of wooziness behind that spitting monster earlier in the afternoon, blasting us with 365* CHTs at idle!

Thought about doing the rear wheel bearings here at the ex-Mare Island Naval Shipyard, but the No Trespassing signs were too thick and shade was nonexistent:

Thought about doing it at a lightly rented-out corporate park in Sacramento, but the heat was oppressive at 108*. It should be noted that Chloe did not care a whit about any old heat, 360*s on the Dakota Digital at 60 mph in the heat of the afternoon. I was the one about to drop a valve. But the scientist in me, your scientist, decided to yank off the tailpipe to see if "less restriction" would change the CHT numbers or performance. I actually liked the sound. Reminded me of a few old Volkswagens in my past. Didn't do a thing for CHTs, but there was an improvement in highway performance, I think. Put the tailpipe back on at a bank parking lot.

Then, I drove into the mountains for relief. I am here in a pine forest outside of Colfax CA on I-80. It was a far cooler 99* when this picture was taken than what I left in Sacramento:

Now a cool 85* at 9:48PM, car is jacked upand going nowhere with this important assembly nowhere near attached to the car:

Good thing I finally demanded of myself to replace these bearings. The inner bearing's outer race had been spinning in the wheel bearing housing. It has opened up the bearing bore, and I am sorry to report that the new bearing was a slightly loose fit in there. We shall see how the red Loctite holds things.
Note to rear wheel drive VW owners, if your rear wheels are rocking up and down when off the ground, do not assume that it is just worn bearings, it could be a worn rear wheel bearing housing!

Must get some sleep so I can finish the other side, change the transaxle oil, and drive to Salt Lake City with quiet drums, fresh rear wheel bearings, and freshly repacked original (!) CV joints. Yes, I should have done this job thousands of miles ago.
OverlyHeatedProcrastinator
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Re: All Caught Up Going Nowhere

Post by drober23 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 am

Where's the rain? :-)

Hopefully the red loctite does its magic!
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Brewcruiser
I'm New!

Post by Brewcruiser » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Yup, there will be a thread. Still mentally preparing myself for this rebuild....

There was some good news in this visit:
  • It didn't rain
    Colin didn't harm any spark plug holes
    I was able to give Dr. Colin some tips for his bedside manor with terminal patients
    Colin was able to sweat off some of those wintertime cinnamon rolls, so he can fit into his 'skinny' cut offs
Thanks again Colin!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Had a splendid hotternheck cruise to Reno NV with fresh wheel bearings and CVs and transaxle oil and engine oil change. It was Winnemucca where I thoroughly botched the happy engine with some idiot adjustments and am now back in 400-410* CHTs and one terrible 419* single lane on I-80 hill climb with impatient motorists behind me. Sorry folks.

How did I blow it? More exploding variables, that's how.

Kicked up the timing 3* at 5,000 elevation AND heard a twank in the engine.

Ignored the twank but saw higher CHTs from the timing adjustment.

Reverted the timing, but saw high CHTs still.

Richened the mixture, but no reduction.

Discovered that the flap lever had popped off. Repaired that in hellish unbearable heat and sun and hot engine. CHTs now skyrocketed to 417-419*

Discussed Retirement Options With Myself

Re-disassembled the flaps lever in hotter afternoon sun with hotter still engine to see if temps at least marginally dropped (thinking that the engine was trying to tell me something), BUT also retarded timing further + leaned mixture. 406-410* what HAPPENED to my happy little engine??

Discovered right flaps not opening all the way and the popped lever was actually helping the left side run cooler since the fail-safe spring worked on the left + cross lever. Re-adjusted thermostat and verified everybody was open all the way. Temps down to 399*.

Re-re-adjusted timing and mixture. Still not as good as before I touched anything.

Moral: Leave the happy engine alone. Might save yourself a sunburn and exhaust burn . . .
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Quit pickin' at it.
Shoulda changed bearings with me in the rain.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:12 am

hambone wrote:Quit pickin' at it.
Shoulda changed bearings with me in the rain.
I saw your rainy climate bearings! NOoooo thank you!
I want my happy engine back. It was a sensible adjustment to advance at 5,000 feet, but things started happening and I chased them and botched the happy recipe.

I have three hours to Salt Lake City tomorrow morning to see if I can find it.
Colin

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 am

Forecast is 94 here in North Salt Lake tomorrow, so a little better than your CA temps lol
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Re-disassembled the flaps lever in hotter afternoon sun with hotter still engine to see if temps at least marginally dropped (thinking that the engine was trying to tell me something), BUT also retarded timing further + leaned mixture. 406-410* what HAPPENED to my happy little engine??

Discovered right flaps not opening all the way and the popped lever was actually helping the left side run cooler since the fail-safe spring worked on the left + cross lever. Re-adjusted thermostat and verified everybody was open all the way. Temps down to 399*.
Hey, Colin. Does Chloe have that funky cable-actuated-from-the-flap-assembly carb-pre-heat gizmo? Could it be stuck?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:18 am

SlowLane wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: Re-disassembled the flaps lever in hotter afternoon sun with hotter still engine to see if temps at least marginally dropped (thinking that the engine was trying to tell me something), BUT also retarded timing further + leaned mixture. 406-410* what HAPPENED to my happy little engine??

Hey, Colin. Does Chloe have that funky cable-actuated-from-the-flap-assembly carb-pre-heat gizmo? Could it be stuck?
I bet she doesn't- that is dealership propaganda that no bus ACTUALLY has ;)

RobbieLookingForThatCable
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 pm

No write up on the rear wheel bearing replace ? Like with lotsa pics and arrows etc.....Damn after waiting all this time.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Colin, has run out of Coke can shims and is looking for a replacement....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:21 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:No write up on the rear wheel bearing replace ? Like with lotsa pics and arrows etc.....Damn after waiting all this time.
It is photographed and I must compile and try to make a sensible procedure for my most demanding readership. Please understand that there is a lot of driving going on too, many "wasted hours" of crawling vast distances across the landscape. The itinerary has completed 23 appointments and 7,460 miles in the past 47 days.
ColinMoreToComeVideosToo!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:25 am

asiab3 wrote:
SlowLane wrote: Hey, Colin. Does Chloe have that funky cable-actuated-from-the-flap-assembly carb-pre-heat gizmo? Could it be stuck?
I bet she doesn't- that is dealership propaganda that no bus ACTUALLY has ;)
RobbieLookingForThatCable
Oh Ye Of LookingForThatCable,
Yes, Chloe has the thermostatic pre-heater cable, and it is performing its job nicely. It cannot bind the works because it has a little spring at the end that is easily overpowered by the thermostat.
Engine is back! to unflappably cool running in warm temperatures, barely warm temperatures, now an almost chilly 90*.
ColinInSaltLake
(P.S. make your own cable out of a lawn mower throttle cable or a nice light derailleur shift cable. You may need to cobble a spring onto the end of it)

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
SlowLane wrote: Hey, Colin. Does Chloe have that funky cable-actuated-from-the-flap-assembly carb-pre-heat gizmo? Could it be stuck?
Yes, Chloe has the thermostatic pre-heater cable, and it is performing its job nicely. It cannot bind the works because it has a little spring at the end that is easily overpowered by the thermostat.
Engine is back! to unflappably cool running in warm temperatures, barely warm temperatures, now an almost chilly 90*.
Actually I was thinking that the pre-heat flap might be stuck open, dumping unreasonably hot intake air into Chloe's poor carb, not that a recalcitrant pre-heat cable might be jamming the flaps closed.
Sounds like you've sussed out the high CHTs, though.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:16 am

SlowLane wrote:I was thinking that the pre-heat flap might be stuck open, dumping unreasonably hot intake air into Chloe's poor carb, not that a recalcitrant pre-heat cable might be jamming the flaps closed.
Sounds like you've sussed out the high CHTs, though.
I will stick the preheater flap open and let you know what it does to CHT readings. That would be interesting.
Colin