Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jtauxe
Addicted!

Re: The 2013 Itinerary - updated 02/09

Post by jtauxe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: BUT--it's a darned automatic. '74 Westy
The interior is sweet, but the engine is in trouble.
Be open to the remarkable charm of the automatic. It even got me.
My heart goes out to engines in trouble, are you ready to become a master engine rebuilder?
Factory dual carbs are the best.
Colin
Alas, I do not have time to become a master engine rebuilder. Too many other hobbies and demands.

That last engine we put back in the blue DC had to get rebuilt from the camshaft up. I was disheartened after all the stripping and cleaning and plugging gallery holes and replacing seals and fitting exhaust and putting it all back, only to have to have it rebuilt later. What a waste of time it all was.

But sorry, I digress -- this is your 2013 itinerary thread.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 am

Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Yeah, pencil me again.I'm sure we'll find something to do!

May works good as I'll be back from the bus roadtrip to Florida in April!

And once again, I will try really hard to get some more business here locally for you.
When in April will you be in Florida? There is no #^&!!@ reason for you to learn how to work on your VW in some stupid 1st Class Garage for the rest of your life.
Colin
We head down around the 15th. Heading to a music fest in north Fla. Return north a week later.

I knew one of these days you'd make me drag my tools, etc home to do the Itinerant! :blackeye:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:07 am

poptop tom wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
poptop tom wrote:Yeah, pencil me again.I'm sure we'll find something to do!

May works good as I'll be back from the bus roadtrip to Florida in April!

And once again, I will try really hard to get some more business here locally for you.
When in April will you be in Florida? There is no #^&!!@ reason for you to learn how to work on your VW in some stupid 1st Class Garage for the rest of your life.
Colin
We head down around the 15th. Heading to a music fest in north Fla. Return north a week later.

I knew one of these days you'd make me drag my tools, etc home to do the Itinerant! :blackeye:
I am setting up a Miami for the 26th. Looks dicey huh?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: The 2013 Itinerary - updated 02/13

Post by Jivermo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 pm

He's welcome to come down to Miami, and work with you at my place-it that option helps.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Jivermo wrote:He's welcome to come down to Miami, and work with you at my place-it that option helps.
You're a prince. I'll wait for him to chime in.
Colin

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Jivermo wrote:He's welcome to come down to Miami, and work with you at my place-it that option helps.
You're a prince. I'll wait for him to chime in.
Colin
Boy oh boy that would be cool to do it, but I'm really doubting I'll have a day to work on it. Unfortunately, my girlfriend has to be back north for her nursing finals following our roadtrip.

The music festival we are going to is in Live Oak, so making it down to Miami would be impossible. I do appreciate the offer jivermo!
Our total time in FLA will be 5 days max. We will probably leave northern IN on monday the 15th, and be at the fest site sometime wednesday. And start out return trip on sunday the 21st.
Short trip for sure. But one we wanted to get in before she graduates and enters the workforce (hopefully).
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Re: The 2013 Itinerary - updated 02/06

Post by hiwaycallin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
hiwaycallin wrote:I'll put in my anual plea for a visit north of the border ... just in case you happened to get your passport :)
Come down to the United States. Which crossing? I suck. Ask the Canadian Consulate. They hate me. I don't have an address.
I really hope to arrange something like that one of these years. This year though I've got a nice new Headflow Masters rebuilt longblock sitting in my basement waiting patiently to be put to use. The bus is not going anywhere until I get the new engine in. Everyday I look at it and think I'm in over my head on this. You all will no doubt be hearing from me soon as I take the plunge. It sure would be nice to have some hands on expertise with this though. :shaking:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The 2013 Itinerary - updated 02/06

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 pm

hiwaycallin wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
hiwaycallin wrote:I'll put in my anual plea for a visit north of the border ... just in case you happened to get your passport :)
Come down to the United States. Which crossing? I suck. Ask the Canadian Consulate. They hate me. I don't have an address.
I really hope to arrange something like that one of these years. This year though I've got a nice new Headflow Masters rebuilt longblock sitting in my basement waiting patiently to be put to use. The bus is not going anywhere until I get the new engine in. Everyday I look at it and think I'm in over my head on this. You all will no doubt be hearing from me soon as I take the plunge. It sure would be nice to have some hands on expertise with this though. :shaking:
Come down to the Flying J truck stop. Pack me in a duffel bag with a body heat radiant blocker.
I'll call the consulate again, I mean really, this is stupid. I don't have a Permanent Home Address. That is not illegal . . . is it?
Colin

Teamkupbus
I'm New!

Re: The 2013 Itinerary - updated 02/14

Post by Teamkupbus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm

please pencil me in for a two day visit. one day on my bus and one day on my friend's bus. i love the way mine runs since your last visit, but work craziness has prevented me from doing more to it. A two day visit would rock that out.

Hmmm, maybe a three day visit...

Come to San Leandro, CA Colin!

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:46 am

Wow, New England in October is really rolling the dice for someone who doesn't like the cold. I'm beginning to feel like there is a definite bias against the NE. Please schedule a date for when you will be in the region while I go and dig out my mukluks.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

aopisa wrote: I'm beginning to feel like there is a definite bias against the NE.
Naw . . . I have given you Vaunted and Desirable Spring Appointments and suffered mightily (for you) the bone-chilling cold of Vermont Spring mornings, we have travelled through whipping gales of Fall, and we Deal With It.
aopisa wrote: Please schedule a date for when you will be in the region while I go and dig out my mukluks.
Are you allowed to raise them here in the United States?
Colin
:withstupid:

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Naw . . . I have given you Vaunted and Desirable Spring Appointments and suffered mightily (for you) the bone-chilling cold of Vermont Spring mornings, we have travelled through whipping gales of Fall, and we Deal With It.
Fair enough. The weather and the predictions are always perfect until about 48 hours before your arrival every year. So, it wouldn't matter if we had an appointment for the middle of June (like that would ever happen). Perhaps this year it will be Indian Summer when you come and the foliage will be at peak color. :sunny:

I'm in.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:53 pm

I hope to be able to fill one of those June IL slots, but I won't know for maybe another month. I'll keep you posted.
I have the desire. I'll come up with the $$$. It's the time that I'm short on :silent:
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:05 pm

aopisa wrote: The weather and the predictions are always perfect until about 48 hours before your arrival. Perhaps this year it will be Indian Summer when you come and the foliage will be at peak color. :sunny:
I'm in.
Me too. What'll we have? Frost ala morning coffee? Windwiches with blowing potato chips? How about a Fall Foliage Freak Snowstorm? Ya know?
Send list to PM box, and I'll get a dossier going on you.
Colin

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: The 2013 Itinerary - updated 02/18

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Put me in for October sometime. It appears that there could be a few of us over here in Ocean Park about then. That is fine.

I am not 100% sure if the new Bendpak car lift will be installed by then or not, but at least we have heat.
79 VW Bus