The one about Sylvester, Samantha and the windshield

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

The one about Sylvester, Samantha and the windshield

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Tomorrow starts the Colin visit to replace the cracked windshield in Samantha. The channel underneath scares me like a GEX engine on a highway miles from home. I will take pictures, I hope it is not a nightmare under there but I expect the worst.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: The one about Sylvester, Samantha and the windshield

Post by hambone » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Por 15 and fiberglass mat cut into tiny strips/pieces! No one will know. You can even patch small holes with JBWeld, I did it on the Squareback windshield area. File to shape. It will last a lifetime.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm in the same boat Sylvester. Recently bought the seal. That's as far as I've gotten. One for the back, too. Of course I have been busy of late (he rationalizes).

Looking forward to the pics!

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Me too! I recently took out the windshield so I could see. It was shattered. What seals are you using and where did you get them?
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Fairly confident they are West Coast Metric. But I will confirm.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:58 am

I put up the Bat signal last night.

This is the windshield we will be taking out. The replacement is a windshield I found in the hills from a Westy donor. It has the shading on the top. I will let you know what the maker is, it is upstairs under a cover. The seal was Wolfsburg West. Colin mentioned them, I looked them up and ordered it last week. Five days and it was here, correct order too.

I have to go buy some odds and ends before Colin gets here, I will keep you all in the loop.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:12 am

Sylvester wrote:Image
Fix yer wiper while you're at it, too! :profileleft:
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:45 am

sped372 wrote: Fix yer wiper while you're at it, too! :profileleft:
It shall be korrected at vonce.
Herr Kolin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 am

use plenty of rust converter, try to get some to the underside. mine lasted 3-4 years before starting to bubble and lift. i used rust converter, marine tex, etching primer and 3-m steel tape, blended with short strand tigerhair to blend. i had to drive it those 3-4 years during my daughters winter break. she's all done now, summa cum laude and more. if ya never see road salt, probably last a lot longer.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:41 am

sped372 wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Image
Fix yer wiper while you're at it, too! :profileleft:
This is definitely a no slack zone! That was an old photo, I had since corrected the alignment of the wipers. Colin arrived with Diet Coke in hand and desire to knock out Samantha's rusty windshield lip and install a crack free windshield. I was taught the one man approach to removing the glass and thus saving the seal. My seal is not too bad looking, I may use it again or save it for Colin's 2025 IAC trip if needed. Here is what we saw, we started flaking off the rust and getting to the metal.

Heartbreaking to say the least, but we got to it before more damage was done.

The center and the right were worse off, I even had some rust on top.

After rust removed and catalyzed. I put on the repair screen to cover the holes. This lip bend would prove to be a pain later on.

Here is Colin applying the "Pig Slaughtered Pink" to the top covered areas. Colin should be a classical artist, he can blend paints with a look of Monet.

Here is Bondo (TM) going in.

Here it is before I primered it.

Today we sand the primer, apply the topcoat, then put the windshield in. I did not know that with a used glass, you have to be extra careful since it now has pits from hits on the glass, and the structural integrity is compromised. Let's hope it goes in smooth!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:19 pm

im not looking forward to doing mine. still have the original glass on the windshield, but im guessing the seal MUST have been replaced at some point.

thanks for sharing. I to have considered doing the 2-day project one of these years to get the skills needed for this job, so I could then repeat it on the other 4 windows that desperately need it.
1979 California Transporter

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 am

I wanted to tackle this with what I had in the time I had with Colin. As it is, this is not easy what we did this weekend in even a split day I did with Colin, and it did take all the time we had. I will do a full write up with pictures starting tonight. I drove Samantha to the bus station today, with my new used windshield and seal. What a beautiful, uncracked, view I had rolling throught the backroads of Georgia today!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 am

Sylvester wrote:I wanted to tackle this with what I had in the time I had with Colin. As it is, this is not easy what we did this weekend in even a split day I did with Colin, and it did take (more than !!!) all the time we had. I will do a full write up with pictures starting tonight. I drove Samantha to the bus station today, with my new used windshield and seal. What a beautiful, uncracked, view I had rolling throught the backroads of Georgia today!
This sill was perfectly easy to repair, and the dimensions were maintained at factory spot-on for an excellent fit. This seal looks factory installed ... except for a prior repair weld glob bump along the inside left a-pillar. Once again, I strongly recommend that we be conservative, Conservative! conservative, with our decisions. I have had my fill of "professional" repairs that miss the mark by millimetric miles.

No, I prefer amateur mechanics who know and love what they're doing . . .

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:40 am

For me it wasn't too hard to cut it out and weld in new fresh metal that fits perfectly the same as OEM.

Turned out nice and off you go.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:03 am

Patching is fine, a composite that will last longer than metal. It's hidden under the windshield seal anyway. I think you guys should have used POR15 however, that rust will come back.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat