2011 Itinerary 12/15

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Re: 2011 Itinerary 05/16/11 (more changes still!)

Post by tristessa » Thu May 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Still trying to get times/dates nailed down. My folks' visit to Portland is on the return leg of the trip to Alaska they're making, and they're not sure exactly when they're getting to Portland, but later in the week for them is more likely than earlier. I'm thinking I might just take the whole damn week off just to be safe...

Colin, some input on not-quite-related-to-that please...? Given that my to-do list with you is centerpin/centerpin bushings and rear torsion adjustment/bushings .. half-day or full-day to accomplish those goals?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 20, 2011 8:47 am

tristessa wrote:Still trying to get times/dates nailed down. My folks' visit to Portland is on the return leg of the trip to Alaska they're making, and they're not sure exactly when they're getting to Portland, but later in the week for them is more likely than earlier. I'm thinking I might just take the whole damn week off just to be safe...

Colin, some input on not-quite-related-to-that please...? Given that my to-do list with you is centerpin/centerpin bushings and rear torsion adjustment/bushings .. half-day or full-day to accomplish those goals?
Both operations - full day. Either operation - half day. I see no reason why we can't get your folks to chip in and help.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon May 23, 2011 3:05 am

Colin, put getting in touch with Duncan (midatlanticsys) on your radar. He is extremely busy with work at the moment but he and Ruthie have been in touch with me via email and they aren't going to be in TX until October - FYI...
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon May 23, 2011 6:03 am

I still got no D? I sent the D

brotha bran
I'm New!

Re: 2011 Itinerary 05/28/11

Post by brotha bran » Sat May 28, 2011 9:05 am

I'm anxious to see an update on my New Englanders (RandyInMaine and aopisa!)....lets see some photos of Randy's new ride. ;-)

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sat May 28, 2011 1:31 pm

brotha bran wrote:I'm anxious to see an update on my New Englanders (RandyInMaine and aopisa!)....lets see some photos of Randy's new ride. ;-)
I was going to wait for Colin to check in, but here is a photographic preview of the day. Suffice to say that all went well and my bus was left in much better condition than before the day began under Colin's anal retentive care and oversight. Hey Colin! Which cylinder is no. 1 again? More details to come.

Check out that six-pack!

Small item (I thought) on the list that consumed a large part of the day.

and the back cover photo for Colin's book or the album cover (strictly vinyl of course!) for Colin's piano musings.....
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 29, 2011 7:10 pm

aopisa wrote:
brotha bran wrote:I'm anxious to see an update on my New Englanders (RandyInMaine and aopisa!)....lets see some photos of Randy's new ride. ;-)
I was going to wait for Colin to check in, but here is a photographic preview of the day.
I am stuck in Earthlink dial-up purgatory, coming in at a whopping 21.3 bps, I'll try later, Runamuckbus in the morning!
Colin

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 am

Amskeptic wrote:Both operations - full day. Either operation - half day. I see no reason why we can't get your folks to chip in and help.
You don't know my folks the way I do. :scratch:

Let's narrow it down to a half-day on the centerpin -- I'm not afraid of the torsion bars & springplates themselves, I'm afraid of Screwing Things Up .. and since we'll actually have three running cars before much longer, taking the Bus off the road isn't such an issue. I'm *hoping* and *planning* to have the tie rod & drag link replacements installed beforehand, and I really really need to clean the filth off the seemingly-better-than-mine steering box I got ahold of to inspect and maybe install .. once I get done with the Cabriolet.

If only this infernal rain would stop for more than 36 hours at a stretch. I've got stuff to catch up on from all the rain *last* spring. :cussing:

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Mon May 30, 2011 7:39 pm

tristessa wrote: Let's narrow it down to a half-day on the centerpin -- I'm not afraid of the torsion bars & springplates themselves, I'm afraid of Screwing Things Up ..
Now that's damn funny, Hal. I've done a center pin, sans assistance and it aint died yet! I guess if I only knew what I don't know..... :blackeye:
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 31, 2011 6:36 am

Ritter wrote:
tristessa wrote: Let's narrow it down to a half-day on the centerpin -- I'm not afraid of the torsion bars & springplates themselves, I'm afraid of Screwing Things Up ..
Now that's damn funny, Hal. I've done a center pin, sans assistance and it aint died yet! I guess if I only knew what I don't know..... :blackeye:
If there is any major difference in rear ride height/weight/tire wear noted with the water-cooled engine, I would opt to use me on the rear axle torsion bar adjustment/alignment.
Colin

keithebbert
I'm New!

2011 dates of June 6th,7th or 11th

Post by keithebbert » Tue May 31, 2011 7:32 am

Colin,

I am sure you have heard this song and dance before but since I email you last our Van had decided to develop a substantial oil leak, drop most of it's coolant, develop a short which may or may not be discharging the battery while preventing the brake lights and turn signals from working correctly, and to top it all of it decided to Not Start on the day we were planning to go for our first of the season Memorial Day camp-out.

Getting back to the dates we can get you out here..........your previous email suggested July 7th. OK July 7th will work however I would like to propose another dates. My family and I are supposed to be leaving for the Oregon Country Fair on the 7th and so we were not planning to be available on that date. However, if my first proposal does not work then we'll make the 7th work.

Proposal 1: Currently you are scheduled to meet with Mitch and Melissa Grady (whc03grady...................... Anaconda MT) on the 5th of July. Luck would have it that they are very good friends of our from Lincoln Nebraska and have agreed (if it is ok with you) to move there day back one day to July 4th. This could possibly provide you a day of travel on July 5th and then work on our Van on July 6th. I have already spoken with Mitch and they have agreed to this exchange. It was Mitch's suggestion that I post this email, instead of PM'ing you directly so that he could comment and confirm his approval of this exchange. THis would guarantee that you would make it before we leave for the Country Fair.

Proposal 2: July 11th. We get back from the Country Fair on the 10th.

Mitch, thanks so much for your flexibility on this and we look forward to seeing you in Maupin.

Colin, I hope your tour is going well and we look forward to seeing you in the Columbia River Gorge. Hospitality is waiting.

Keith

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2011 dates of June 6th,7th or 11th

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 31, 2011 8:16 am

keithebbert wrote: work on our Van on July 6th. This would guarantee that you would make it before we leave for the Country Fair.
Proposal 2: July 11th. We get back from the Country Fair on the 10th.
Tentative yes, but not locked in.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:34 am

Where in the wide world are you, Colin? I feel as if you must be close to my vicinity.... Will we have the opportunity to meet up for a social visit or is the Buckeye state merely miles to be traversed as quickly as possible? :-)
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:If there is any major difference in rear ride height/weight/tire wear noted with the water-cooled engine, I would opt to use me on the rear axle torsion bar adjustment/alignment.
Works for me. I haven't noticed any difference (major or minor) in rear ride height/weight that is attributable to the engine, just a noticeable lean towards teh driver's side.

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Great photos. And just look at that clean-shaven face.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand