Grinding To A Halt

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Grinding To A Halt

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:50 pm

It was such a nice day too.

Replaced the front brakes, sanded the front drums but good, did a thorough cleaning/repack of the front wheel bearings, buttoned up .... "let's check the valves now that we have hit almost 1,300 miles since last check last week."

Exhaust #1 ..... .003"
Exhaust #2 ..... .000"
Exhaust #3 ..... .001"
Exhaust #4 ..... .004"

I am out of time here on this engine.
I do not trust driving down the highway until I inspect the valves and heads.

Moon was pretty, though ....
"Telephoto" shots behind the HEB supermarket overlooking deadcookiecutter suburban development. I best enjoy the Universe from out in the wilds.

Now drop a tab, take a toke, spin your forehead around on a baseball bat, and look at this one buzzed and slightly cross-eyed, you can almost sense sucking in towards the moon. I use coffee and a GumOut sniffer for my buzz.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Grinding To A Halt

Post by vwlover77 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Bummer...... But, you do have spare heads with you now, right?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 pm

vwlover77 wrote:Bummer...... But, you do have spare heads with you now, right?
I don't see a "bummer" so much as an opportunity to get this engine bulletproof, but I must find a suitable environment that allows me to be clean and focused.

The spare heads may be pressed into service, but they are big unknowns in their own right. I just need to SEE the valves and seats. If the seats are all shiny wide, I will button up and drive to Atlanta, soft seats do not make impending failure. But if the seats are receding into the head aluminum or the valves are stretching, then I will slap on those $80.00 used heads which are cheaper than a blown engine tow.
Colin

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Same situation I kept finding myself in... that's why I was always driving with the willies. I just hated crawling under there to find no clearance! You'll get it sorted.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:56 pm

Ouch, sorry to hear.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:19 pm

What is that?! I think I see an asteroid hurtling across your photo inside the moon's orbit. Phew! that was a close one!
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Type 1 bus owners, Hambone? could you check to see if you have these:

This engine does not.
As mentioned in the book manuscript ......"every little piece has its purpose"

........the center deflectors which are well-developed on the Type 4 engine and extend to the heads, help prevent the centers of the heads from hogging all that cooling air when the outside exhausts (like mine!) are desperate for more.

The above pictured mini-deflector is a Type 1 1600 head (this one is r/s with a groove for the thermostat rod). Do I need one?
Colin

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Hmm. On the face of it, you wouldn't think that a widdle-itty-bitty square of sheet metal would have such a serious effect.

But I'm wondering if the true function of that deflector is not so much deflection to redirect air to the bottom fins, but rather a pressure dam to ensure that adequate pressure is built up in the plenum above the heads so that it will distribute evenly.

If that's your problem, it sucks that it caused you this much angst, but it should be an easy fix once you source a pair.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Are you talking about the simple looking clamp on reflector pieces, one per side that have little divots that hold it in place on the cylinder head studs, mounting in the center beneath and between the cylinder fins? That you must put on before the heads and that you better not ignore and if you forget you better pull the heads and get them in there? Missing??? No wonder the high head temps.

Not good. I pulled my heads on the new engine on hold due to go into Gretchen to make sure those were there after I realized I had forgotten them. Bertha's recently demised engine had them. I'm pretty sure Ramona's hopefully going into Bertha tomorrow does, but will certainly double check. Don't know on Gretchen's old engine.

I do know that both Ramona and Gretchen's original engines had no thermostat or thermostat flaps.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:12 am

Colin as you know, El has the Empi (bla) external oil cooler that the place in Oregon put on after I had them remove the engine to check the hoses. His engine did have those small deflectors I installed myself along with the stove pipe when I pulled and cleaned before long trip. He does not have thermostat or flaps. I have a doghouse shroud in my parts and many pieces of tin but you should be able to find them if needed.

I must check my valves and see if those small deflectors are still on there. My distributor was really hot so I got some investagatin' also.

Have fun out there on that road---Im aiming that way---promise! and maybe with photo skills next time. :joker:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:26 am

Amskeptic wrote:Do I need one?
If you do, our own IAC member Mark fabs up nice ones. I purchased them along with his Hoover Bit for my Beetle. I would guess you probably don't have time for shipping and such, but I thought I'd let you know about it anyway.

http://members.shaw.ca/zwerks/zwerks.ca/Products.html
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:38 am

For the record, I made sure that both my previous POS valve sinker and the current engine had/have those little pieces. I had a bit of interference with the one on the thermostat rod side that I had to slightly enlarge the "slot" but I made sure it was in there.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:59 am

ruckman101 wrote:Are you talking about the simple looking clamp on reflector pieces, one per side that have little divots that hold it in place on the cylinder head studs, mounting in the center beneath and between the cylinder fins?
No.
I posted a photograph of what I am talking about.

They are little rectangular cylinder head "air dams" as Slow Lane puts it, that prevent over-cooling the intake area and overheating the exhaust area. They serve the same purpose as the under cylinder deflectors you mention.

I do not believe "heat" perse, causes the head cracks we see. I think it is the insane temperature fluctuations that overwhelm the aluminum's ability to contract and expand as rapidly as the CHT gauge shows. Imagine a 450* exhaust valve seat 1/2 an inch away from 47* gasoline chilled air rushing in through the intake .... :pale:
These deflectors/air dams help keep the whole head at a more uniform temperature - critical.
Colin

thesamwise4
Getting Hooked!

Post by thesamwise4 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:17 am

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but--
What's the deal with that manuscript? Is it available for purchase? I do understand what manuscript means, but I figured I'd ask just in case. It seems like it would be a great resource.
-Dave

1977 Westy Deluxe--The Green Lantern

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:22 am

thesamwise4 wrote:Sorry, I know this is off topic, but--
is a copy of that manuscript available for sale?
I have to finish the book. I have to finish the book. I have to finish the book.
Before I lose my ability to draw, or sit still, or hell, think straight.
It needs to be offered as a hardcover book (or an e-book but the illustrations will require very good resolution). This winter, I shall sit at the drawing board ........... and if it gets going, good! but if it doesn't, I must retire the notion.
Colin