In From Exquisite Part I (morning)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

In From Exquisite Part I (morning)

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:30 am

Unbelievable three days and I could not have guessed it was coming. This bus has charmed me in record time. It is like a cow that you find standing amongst scampering mountain goats way up on a mountain ridge. You ask, "how did you get up here?" It answers with a calm stare. You notice then that it is a pretty brown cow who just goes where she wants.

I left my khargis IAC appointment at his friend's house in Sacramento at 7:00PM and missed SGKent's EMAIL to meet up since all I did was search my PM boxes at theSamba and here. Took Highway 50 into them thar hills towards Lake Tahoe only to find temperatures dropping quickly. The heater was pumping noxious fumes into the cabin (hey pj! those single piece muffler clamps are horrible!), but you know how I need heat. Around the intersection of CA88/89, I grabbed a trailhead and discovered quickly that the TBRRD was a real trouper up nasty rock strewn paths. I wondered if this bus thought that life had suddenly gotten meaner after losing Mike. Found a splendid campsite in a rock-strewn pasture with a waning moon peeking out from the clouds. Then it rained all night. It was cold. And rainy. Should have stayed in Sacramento and taken I-5 in the sun! I lamented. And lamented.

Here's what I got for my decision to hoof it east, some photographs....

Morning:

Climbing Through Monitor Pass 8314 ft:

Fall Is In The Air!
Yuck.

This bus just putters on up and up and up, not a care.... :

..... and like the cow amongst the mountain goats, it gets you there by slow walking:

I estimated that the engine was putting out no more than the original '50 bus's 25 horsepower up here in the highlands, but heck, who cares? Time to really look around you:

Maybe life got meaner for the poor TBRRD, but maybe Mike was looking down from way up there sending a message, It's Good To Get Out And About:

I could not believe I experienced this morning, it was achingly beautiful:

This view! through the now-signature IAC dashboard car/clock/mirror flower/glovebox sash, as worn on three cars now. Anyways, it is only 9:15AM:

I do not know the name of this valley, but the camera does not do justice to the colors that greeted me here:

Many times now have I travelled 395 southbound to the Conway Summit (this past summer in the BobD it was pouring buckets of rain and mud across the road), but this time with the TBRRD, it was like I had never before seen it:

Came hurtling down the hill from the summit to this overlook over Mono Lake, photographed previously through the Road Warrior's windshield and the BobD's windshield, and now the TBRRD's windshield, brought to you via a new realization ... drum brakes. Brakes are so much more meaningful and wonderful too, when you don't have much of them:

You can't see how toasty the hubcaps have gotten here ....

Mono Lake was moody this time through:

Wait til you see the photographs shot after noon ... :cyclopsani:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: In From Exquisite Part I (morning)

Post by Sylvester » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:08 am

I want to go there!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:06 am

Amazing pictures, Colin! Thanks for taking them and sharing!

I really need to take a nice loooooooong bus trip west someday.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:54 am

Sylvester wrote:I want to go there!
Yeah, it is tempting.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:52 am

That does it, im heading there as soon as possible. Pictures rarely capture just how spectacular a view like that is in real life, and if it's that great in photo's - yea. Must see soon.

I have been promising to take the girls to see snowy mountains soon and that isn't far from Yosemite..... 505 miles away from my doorstep doesn't sound too far away.
1979 California Transporter

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:33 am

great photos colin- glad tht it's getting you there!
60 beetle
78 bus

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

Amskeptic wrote:Maybe life got meaner for the poor TBRRD, but maybe Mike was looking down from way up there sending a message, It's Good To Get Out And About:
It sure seems he was. What a beautiful tribute to our lost friend.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:15 am

Mike definitely had a hand in preparing that landscape for Colin. You can tell just by looking at it. Polished and prepared to absolute perfection.

Congrats, Colin. Both for your photographs and for your actually being there. Just awesome.

Everybody listen up: You owe it to yourselves to drive US 395 at some point in your life.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:24 am

Can someone post exactly where this is?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 am

Sylvester wrote:Can someone post exactly where this is?
http://g.co/maps/sa285
1979 California Transporter

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 am

Awesome. Amazing. WOW!!! Beautiful Bus, Heavenly surroundings indeed!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:31 am

Sylvester wrote:
glasseye wrote:Mike definitely had a hand in preparing that landscape for Colin. You can tell just by looking at it. Polished and prepared to absolute perfection.

Congrats, Colin. Both for your photographs and for your actually being there. Just awesome.

Everybody listen up: You owe it to yourselves to drive US 395 at some point in your life.
Can someone post exactly where this is?

South of Lake Tahoe, skirting the eastern flank of the Sierra Nevada Mtn range. I agree with Glasseye; everyone should do this drive at least once.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 am

satchmo wrote:
Sylvester wrote: Can someone post exactly where this is?

South of Lake Tahoe, skirting the eastern flank of the Sierra Nevada Mtn range. I agree with Glasseye; everyone should do this drive at least once.

Tim
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_395_map.png

I have to agree. Every bit of 395 I've driven has been a stunningly beautiful adventure.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:31 pm

You are one lucky guy. Very nice to see your journey!
Driving with drum brakes is an art. There is a way to do it and not get the drums smokin' hot. I rely more on engine RPMs as well as quick pulses on the brakes instead of steady pressure. Also, sometimes ya just gotta slow down... :sunny: less speed = less heat.
Cow indeed! :bootyshake:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm

That's the way I came home from Busses by the Bridge X. It was a one very cold night in Lone Pine and one very unexpected snow storm just outside of Susanville. Beautiful drive though.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.