Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings Fall Apart

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings Fall Apart

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 am

. . . as is my wont when the temperatures plummet and the sunlight describes a puny little southern arc from southeast to southwest. I finally get to greet my sun above the trees at 8:30AM or something, and it just ducks away by 5:00PM. Actually, the sun has had difficulty getting through to me with all of these nor'easters and lake effects:

Even so, the beauty of this planet is compelling and I hear myself begging me to shut up already with the whiny. Cold happens. So does rain. So do magnificent Lake Champlain sun reflections against the bottoms of the clouds as I approach Burlington, Vermont:

Once upon a time, I enjoyed the cold well enough. Took long woodsy walks in it, shovelled snow in a t-shirt, was "famous" in fact, for bicycling from Newburyport Massachusetts to Kittery Maine in the rain and the snow with those stiff ocean breezes bringing in the aroma of the marshes at low tide. I would return with racing stripes of tire spray up my back. Removed an engine in a splitty in 10* snow back in college. Ha. Not now. I am in middle-age metabolism and have connected with the inner lizard in me. Give me sun and a rock.

After a day with appetite in the hurtle of New Jersey, I escaped the metropolitan moonscape of potholes to head north to Rhode Island to visit with jimbear in his lovely equally pothole festooned village below Providence. It almost got warm in the afternoon even.

Then I drove up to RandyInMaine's house in Maine to pick up the very last Michelin LTX on Earth to give the BobD a full set finally. My left front tire on the Road Warrior, after all, had been butchered by a Mitsubishi . . . Thank-you RandyInMaine. I have to pay forward your generosity somehow. Then I drove up through Vermont to catch those cloud reflections and across the top of Lake Champlain about a mile or two south of Canada to visit my folks in Essex New York:

Anybody's parents drive them crazy? Yaah, me too. There is no escape from the purity of a child's love. View from the deck on the barn:

Look, a VW:

. . . I reeled in emotional confusion to Syracuse to visit Vdubtech and Rustybus via some dappled golden dirt paths. Took the New York State Thruway to have coffee with this girl in Rochester, this girl who made my heart sing with the gift of a book, but who sort of blew my mind with a photo journey through years and years of beautiful sometimes fierce people's lives, time is too short for us slow learners:

Northeast Fall . . . it's like an acid trip when you cram your face in a box of Trix.

Two more official Itinerary visits and this very busy season draws to a close. Did someone say "draw"?
Colin :geek:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings Fall Apart

Post by Sylvester » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 am

What is that to the left of the picture in the clouds? I just watched a show on UFO's in history last night on the History channel, and it has me all riled up!

I have already asked for the 26th off, promise no phones. Morning better? The day can be flexible, I just have an event the evening of the 26th.

Fall in Atlanta. Still green below but changing fast.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:12 am

Silly Colin, Trix are for kids!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:09 am

that's just flippin beautiful. I miss seeing the colors change like that.
I wonder how far from I - I might be able to drive and see such things again.

missing Wisconsin and it's fall colors today as is, especially with my dad in the hospital getting surgery (just gall bladder removal thankfully.)
1979 California Transporter

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:17 pm

Some of those pictures make me want to cry. I miss fall in Vermont :(
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings Fall Apart

Post by grandfatherjim » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Northeast Fall . . . it's like an acid trip when you cram your face in a box of Trix.
...and how would you know what cramming your face in a box of Trix looks like..??

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:28 pm

i miss it too- loved driving through smugglers notch in the fall.
60 beetle
78 bus

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:39 pm

+

=

I think the fall colors look even better.
on the plus side, you can sleep an hour after seeing their beauty, not so much with the alternative method. :colors:

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:16 am

We also just returned from a delightful drive through ME, NH, and VT to a nice 'noreaster storm here at the coast. Lots of rain and some wind and great waves at the beach. I see it snowed a foot in Killington, VT since we left there.

It was only a few days, but sometimes just getting away from normal life for a few days is time well spent.

Peak colors had left the higher elevations, but were still very nice a bit lower and further south. We picked up a half gallon of maple syrup from a roadside vendor in VT for $26.

It was good seeing you again Colin! Safe travels!!
79 VW Bus

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Did someone say Fall in Vermont?

The green buses in the spring green seem so long ago now. And the grass is always greener because I am with Colin and falling out of love with the iced up, locked down months to come. There was snow on the mountain across the valley from me today. That used to bring joy to my heart, now it's more like dread. Still, that ever so brief period of green chlorophyll draining from the leaves is always awe inspiring no matter how many times I see it.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:24 am

aopisa wrote:Did someone say Fall in Vermont?

SEE?? God is, like, so, GARISH? It's like . . . show-offy?
Like, "I'm God, so here I put some shiner on it?"
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:28 am

Amskeptic wrote:

SEE?? God is, like, so, GARISH? It's like . . . show-offy?
Like, "I'm God, so here I put some shiner on it?"
Colin
I guess that just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste even if your the omnipotent creator of the universe. Case in point; if we are made in his image then so is the cast of 'Jersey Shore.'
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Good grief did you take this shot? I bet Glasseye is eve going "Damn, that is a nice shot! Where is my camera?"

This is fall in the Georgia hills. The Dahlonega Gold Rush days, Farmers market and crafts. I was here yesterday, lots of people and food. No real leaf color turning yet, give it a week or so:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Yep, those are my shots, thanks. The gracious Earth Mother supplied the palette, I just pushed the shutter button.

Funny to see people still running around in shorts and t-shirts. I had the wood stove stoked all day long yesterday. I think there are more people in those pictures than the three towns surrounding me combined!
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:56 am

aopisa wrote:Funny to see people still running around in shorts and t-shirts. I had the wood stove stoked all day long yesterday. I think there are more people in those pictures than the three towns surrounding me combined!
And they are all so white for Georgia!
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net