Colin in Atlanta with Sylvester

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Colin in Atlanta with Sylvester

Post by Sylvester » Sat May 01, 2010 3:42 pm

In Colin's 7th tour of America, the Itinerant Air Cooled Mechanic and I had big dreams and only five hours to do it it. I first wanted to swap my carb and dizzy, but found my lost manifold boots just this morning, so that was off the table. However, I did have a very leaky heat exchanger and a CV joint with a busted boot, bummer patrol man, so out into the misty drizzle we went.

Here is Colin taking off the CV joint. It was ripped on the outside boot, but the inside boot looked brand new. Not sure why that was. My CV's will have to be replaced soon, the ball bearings are showing signs of wear.

Remember when I posted a month ago when I took the muffler off and replaced my gaskets on the HE's and the head? I was spooked beyond fear of snapping a stud off the head, and did not. Well, now I was taking the HE off the head, and when we did oh my, the studs were eaten up. I did not want to tempt fate and try to take them out, however Colin wanted to try, and when we did oh SNAP, it did just that. Whatever shall our intrepid hero do? There is a stud half in, half out the head!

Bottom of my rusty Bus, it sat for five years in a yard in California, this is what happens. Also, the PO had the entire engine wrapped in chrome, including the now soiled lower tins. Colin called me the "Pimp of the IAC".

Never fear, Colin is here! With vice grips, blood and skinned knuckle, Colin uses a hammer and PB Blaster to take the offending stud from the head! Then, being cocky and all, removes the other stud and replaces it with a fresh one. I tell you, this man knows no obstacle, and no fear, as I stood by and watch experience and skill take over and do the job. In just a little time, both HE's were on Samantha, looking good and standing proud.

I had some used Bug HE's that I put on, I cleaned them up and painted them in primer. Hopefully they last awhile, my old ones were eaten up bad.

We took the CV joint off, and replaced the torn boot. Good German boot too, but the kit was minus washers for the bolts, huh. I packed grease in what has to be the most despicable jobs you can do on a Bus. The other boot was fine, but I gummed it up with dirt so I cleaned it up and packed it too. By this time Colin had to head out, but not without careful instructions as what I was to do to finish. I have done boots before, but if Colin had not been there, it would have taken hours instead of the hour and a half it did. Samantha had been leaking out the HE for awhile, it sounded like a tank before, backfiring and wheezing down the road. Now she purrs like a kitten! I took her for a ride and heard my windows rattling! Holy crap, what a beautiful sound a 1600 can make!

And now Colin is on his way to Maryland in the BobD. I want to thank him, this is the fifth year Colin has helped me with my Bus addiction. Had he not been there the times he has, I surely would have sold Sam some time ago. Next time we will do the carburetor and dizzy, knowing I have an expert right there to show me how.

Godspeed Colin and BobD.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun May 02, 2010 8:09 am

It was a moment of reckoning to be under that bus with an exhaust stud and nut breaking off in my wrench. The remainder was sticking out with a rusty nasty welded-in look. The work space was tight up there near the clutch arm. My mind was locked on "must-leave-at-2:00PM" and "will the skies open up?" The vise grips had a lousy purchase on the stud stump and were banging into the frame or the front engine tins or the bell housing, and I of course kicked over my beverage (last year coffee spill, this year Diet Coke spill).

. . . and I thought to myself, "this cannot be happening. This cannot be happening. The guy who was most concerned about inadvertently snapping off a stud hires the "expert" who . . . snaps off the damn stud."

. . . but it is happening. It has happened. Under a time constraint no less. And I have to get this under control. So I am begging beseechingly under my breath, "pleeeeeeeeeeze please please come loose, pleeeeeeze while telling Sylvester dryly "I am retiring TODAY".

. . . so with a deep prayer and a resolve to stay within the parameters of the remaining metallurgy, I tap and tap tap and tap tap tap and taptaptpataptaptap and spray and beg for this stud to leave and I wiggle the visegrips back and forth and feel for stud release in the head.

. . . and it finally decides to leave. And the other stud does too, but it was not due to "expertise" or anything, it was just another answered prayer.
Thank-you thank-you thank-you.

I look forward to fall when we can get a proper carburetor installed.
ColinToMarylandAtOnce

Scene Of The Crime:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 am

very cool. i really like the hub cap.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun May 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Amskeptic wrote:. . . and it finally decides to leave. And the other stud does too, but it was not due to "expertise" or anything, it was just another answered prayer.
Thank-you thank-you thank-you.
I still say it was skill, experience and temperament. If it were just me, Samantha would still be out there in front with either a badly leaking heat exchanger still, or a broken off stud waiting for me to solve. I would not, and could not have done it without your guidance.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 pm

THANK YOU for the write up, Sylvester! Those new heater boxes kick butt. Come on up to Minnesota so that you can use them sometime!
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 am

How do you handle the liability Colin? We're all friends here but I can imagine a situation where a client obliges you to fix all the Rube Goldberg that cascade-fails. Are you ever at a situation where a project gets over your head?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Mon May 03, 2010 10:17 am

hambone wrote:How do you handle the liability Colin? We're all friends here but I can imagine a situation where a client obliges you to fix all the Rube Goldberg that cascade-fails. Are you ever at a situation where a project gets over your head?
you mean this part from the 2010 itinerary speil:

THE HENCEFORTH AND FORTHWITH
I am a consultant. You are paying for my knowledge. If I pick up a tool, it is to hand it to you. I could not and cannot should not and shall not accept liability for any of the work performed on your vehicle nor any incidental consequential coincidental consequent incident outsident accident coincident and subsequent to our visit.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 am

I'm sure that in this era of entitlement that some would challenge that.

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Mon May 03, 2010 10:41 am

hambone wrote:I'm sure that in this era of entitlement that some would challenge that.
i agree with you there. makes me sad that society has gone that way and no one takes responsibility for themselves.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm

vdubzen wrote:i agree with you there. makes me sad that society has gone that way and no one takes responsibility for themselves.
Or in this case "responsibility for the ownership of a piece of equipment that is made up of components that will change in structure over time" (ie the metallurgy component). Doesn't matter who tried to remove it it would have likely snapped. Lucky it did it in a place where you still had room to get a grip on it.

Tis true that the question of liability can be raised and the official relationship can be explored if needed. Hopefully everyone that is having Colin visit has a clear understanding of the consultant/mechanics assistant role Colin plays during his visit.

I can wholly understand the sinking feeling of knowing that your actions have contributed to another issue needing resolution and the commitment one makes to 'first do no harm' in making it right. Nice follow through, Colin. Hearty "Whew, that was a close one" out to you...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon May 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Of the story, this is my favorite part.
Then, being cocky and all, removes the other stud and replaces it with a fresh one.
I love those moments of victory, especially when coming from behind.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Mon May 03, 2010 5:37 pm

wish i could have made it up and visited, way too busy a weekend.
looks like a productive morning :yawinkle:
60 beetle
78 bus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 03, 2010 7:21 pm

zabo wrote:wish i could have made it up and visited, way too busy a weekend.
looks like a productive morning :yawinkle:
It was chaotic in a nice way.

re: liability. I have been doing this sort of work since 1980.

Most of the legal issues that I have seen fly right around me seem to revolve around Failures Of Communication. Most of the time I point out risks before I embark upon teasing them. Many of you have been subjected to my speech about spark plug threads where I make you remove them and show you the danger signal (tightening up during removal after a successful initial loosening has occurred).

I have yet to confront a pissed-off IAC customer. A terribly blessed thing, or there are too-polite people out there. I feel incredibly lucky to have met all of youse who have requested my services because without fail you're excellent human beings.
Colin :flower:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 am

Maybe purity of intent creates a sharkproof hull as you cruise across boiling waters? :drunken:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun May 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Sylvester wrote:I still say it was skill, experience and temperament. If it were just me, Samantha would still be out there in front with either a badly leaking heat exchanger still, or a broken off stud waiting for me to solve. I would not, and could not have done it without your guidance.
Hey, I am quoting myself. Here is a question I didn't ask. How do you get old pitted studs out of a head? Drill and tap? How successful is that? I would think that alone is best left to a machine shop. I mean, I am well intentioned but they may be able to have them out in minutes, while I am breaking bits off in the stud. I mean, take it to a chop to have them pull them out if there is a hint of trouble. Ask me how I know that one.

As a final point, I want to share something Colin pointed out to me about these studs. The ones that face the front of the vehicle pit and corrode faster than the back ones, simply because the front ones get road splash in addition to heat and corrosion. Keep that in mind for reference.